The Digital Devil is Coming For Your Analog Soul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Digital Devil is Coming For Your Analog Soul

The Digital Devil is looking for analog souls and wants to convert them into what I have termed "Digital Couch Potatoes" or "DCPs." The allure to sell your soul to the Digital Devil (DD) is quite strong because analog represents work and commitment to great sound whereas digital just requires a chair and remote app for what many consider "good enough" sound. New victims are being claimed every day and they are forsaking glorious analog sound for the ability to keep their butt planted in their listening chair or couch and control a remote device with an app so they can speed dial through either their hard drive(s) or a subscription service for an all you can stand digital buffet of music. Even the bar for the quality of the digital music the DCPs are willing to sell their soul for appears to becoming lower and lower. In fact, some DCPs have sold their analog soul to the DD for MP3 quality because they swear they can't hear any difference between RBCD quality and MP3s.

However, the DD always has some tricks up his sleeve to tempt more analog souls who have higher standards. The latest temptation is MQA which claims to be more perfect than the original recording. The DD's newest trick appears to be working because he has won over more analog souls and all of the audio forums have page after page of testaments to the quality of MQA and why you should forsake analog.

One of the DD's latest and greatest triumphs has been the conversion of someone we know who has invested vast sums of money in the analog portion of his rig which resides in a converted barn at the foothills of a mountain. Inside the barn is a pair of Studer A820 decks, and a very high quality LP rig and lots and lots of LPs and 2 track 15 ips tapes to keep you immersed in analog sound for the rest of time. The DD has now snatched his analog soul and the barn owner admits that he now spends the majority of his time listening to his digital rig even though he readily admits his analog is still on a higher level than his digital rig.

And so I say to my analog brothers, who is next to sell their soul to the DD? Can any of us be saved from the DD or are we all going to succumb to the temptation of sitting in a comfy chair with a remote app in our hands?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Never!
    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

• mep
      mep commented
      Editing a comment
      Good for you Johnny!

Well it appears the VD ( Vinyl Devil) has taken control of the forum of late. I enjoy vinyl and digital, hell I still enjoy my CD's, and fishing, golf, classic cars and kayaking but I will be damned if I'm going to vegetate in a freaking chair listening to music as the world outside goes by day in and day out flipping a record and/or pushing some touchy feely app on a ipad to change a track. , . . or two
    Chris
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

• mep
      mep commented
      Editing a comment
      Great perspective Chris!

Mark, I think I know who you're referring to --and from what I gather- he probably listens to more music in a week than most of us. where I part company with my vinyl/analog-only brethren is that good music didn't stop with advent of digital recording. most of the 'new' music I listen to was natively digital and that's almost always how its played back. does that mean the DD have taken over my system? hardly
    TURNTABLE TechDAS Airforce III | TONEARM Graham Phantom III | CARTRIDGES ZYX Omega X SB2 + Lyra Etna SL | PHONO STAGE Boulder 1008 | DIGITAL Innuos MiniZen II + M2Tech Young + Palmer PS | LINE STAGE Boulder 810 | AMPLIFIERS Boulder 850 Monos | SPEAKERS Magico A5 | RACK Adona Eris 6DW | CABLES Mogami + Canare

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      Mark, I think I know who you're referring to --and from what I gather- he probably listens to more music in a week than most of us. where I part company with my vinyl/analog-only brethren is that good music didn't stop with advent of digital recording. most of the 'new' music I listen to was natively digital and that's almost always how its played back. does that mean the DD have taken over my system? hardly
      I guess my point is that we can all succumb to convenience vice ultimate sound quality. Convenience is the tipping point for many people when it comes to what music they listen to and how they listen to it.
      Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Damnnnn MEp digital rules and I don't sit I like to get up and look at the screen to search through tens of thousands of albums and then there is tidal !! If this hobby is about the music who has the biggest collection hahahha. Wow what a great comeback and I had no scotch yet. It's a major reason for me to not go analog
        it's nkt cleaning the records nor changing the tapes
        it's about great music that can be played loud and since we have mostly not greet quality I for one need more variaty. Now I make no claims as to hiw good what is and being a all digital agent I am one to ready to admit anolog is great to and it's what any great digital system strive to have. Is that enough kissing for me to still post my love of digital persuit hahahhaha.
        Nice post MEp
        analog stuff.
        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
        sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
        new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
        thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
        thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
        kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
        phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
        speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
        mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
        digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

Well I still have the VD in me , not the communicable kind, the platter spinning kind.

I've yet to add the new Etna SL to the set up its been sitting in a box for a week. However, I was down the road to a friend's place and he has the latest Meridian CD set up MQA ready . It was playing through the small Raidho monitors this time out ( wow- very nice monitor) and not the big Revels as per usua-. but I can see the attraction. I still like vinyl - although I will eventually do some streaming with a secondary system with Tidal.

Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
          Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
          Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
          Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
          Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair
          Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

Yes I know I've been so wrong
            Too late now I'm moving on
            Hellbound Train I'm on it's track
            Moving down I can't look back

Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
            Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
            Analog 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable w/ 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Silver Cube Phono Preamp
            Analog 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable w/ 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
            Analog 3: Studer A810 R2R tape w/ Bridge Console. Using built-in tape preamp
            Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
            Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
            A/C Power: Extensive System Upgrades, Sub-panel w/hard-wired power cables, and IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
            Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
              One of the DD's latest and greatest triumphs has been the conversion of someone we know who has invested vast sums of money in the analog portion of his rig which resides in a converted barn at the foothills of a mountain. Inside the barn is a pair of Studer A820 decks, and a very high quality LP rig and lots and lots of LPs and 2 track 15 ips tapes to keep you immersed in analog sound for the rest of time. The DD has now snatched his analog soul and the barn owner admits that he now spends the majority of his time listening to his digital rig even though he readily admits his analog is still on a higher level than his digital rig.
              well......it's not that simple......I have a plan.

what is going on with me is called the 'end game'. my system has matured. my analog is where I want it to be. I could move sideways in those areas, but it would be change for change sake. in a few years I will retire and want my system development to be behind me.

2 years ago I determined I needed to upgrade my digital for the long view. I'd had my Playback Designs for 9 years. I could see (and hear) digital was taking some significant steps forward and it was worth finding a higher level and long term digital solution. since then I've investigated what is possible, and now I'm in the middle of working that out. and while I'm in this mode I am focusing on the digital side. I've taken some steps and acquired some wonderful digital gear.......but I'm not close to feeling I'm done. give me another 3 to 6 months. until then I will be spending much of my time on the digital side.

when I do feel I'm set on the digital side, then i'll be after spending my time with the best musical connection and experience. It won't be about hifi dogma, it will be simply enjoying tunes. if digital has earned a higher percentage of my focus......well.....then I see no problem. I've done as much an anyone to spread the analog viewpoint due to it's experiential payoff. if digital can deliver more of that then good. and when I retire I won't need to multitask as much, which is what digital allows much easier than analog. so we will just have to see where that takes me.

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

Comment

Mark there is an analog analog of the DCP. How about vinyl lovers who complain about having to get up and change 45 rpm reissue more frequently!?!?
                Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Allow me a small friday rant ...
                  Too much convenience makes the soul lazy.
                  Not having to get up and change sides/records means that you are less likely to listen to a whole album.
                  That "next track" button is like sugar for a kid ...
                  "Digital convenience" means it is much too easy to just change the track if you hit even a microsecond of boredom.

Think of the superb stuff Vladimir Lamm makes and there are no remotes!
                  Guess he misses out on some business because he doesn´t offer remotes but bless him for that!

But to the subject again ...
                  Analog comes from the greek words ana (according to, referring to) & logos (word, speech, reason).
                  Vinyl has the same etymological root as Wine.
                  Digital just means finger.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Relax and listen.jpg Views:	2 Size:	103.2 KB ID:	44555

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                    MylesBAstor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I draw the line at remotes!

Not one of you have commented on the obvious of the vast amount of digital music that is NOT available on anolog , much less how simple to purchase. And the best you people have besides the admitted sound is getting up from a couch.
                  analog stuff.
                  new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

• cpp
                    cpp commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So true, there is good music in all mediums.

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                  Not one of you have commented on the obvious of the vast amount of digital music that is NOT available on anolog , much less how simple to purchase. And the best you people have besides the admitted sound is getting up from a couch.
                  Good point Al. And vice versa.
                  Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                  Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                  -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                  -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                  -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                  -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                  -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                  -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                  -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                  -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                  -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

As far as I can remember our friend has always been streaming digital files Mark, he's just tweaking it again.

I don't have a problem with CDs and listen regularly to the digital music I don't have in analog but streaming is a whole different thing. Personally I hate the entire computer/screen/search interface needed and even if I could ever deal with that I find the sound of streamed digital painful and boring but I do occasionally use pandora and youtube for searching and educational purposes. My soul is very safe from that DD.

david
                    Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
                    Distribution: NEODIO

Special Sales: van den Hul
                    Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
                    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
                    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

Dave inhale
                      exhale repeat. Lol.
                      analog stuff.
                      Dacs lampi various

Comment

Working...
                      X