Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Today's Recordings Brighter Than Ever?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Analog21 View Post
    Myles, do you agree there is a necessary trade off between warmth and compression vs. openness, detail, and brightness/neutrality? I've read so many different reviews off of the Steve Hoffman site and also Fremer's analog planet of original pressings of the 50s and 60s being warm, fuzzy, etc and the audiophile reissues sounding more detailed but brighter, losing that warmth of the original recording. For example, read Fremer's review of the current Ella Fitzgerald Sings Cole Porter Songbook boxset by Analog Spark vs his comparison with the original. A similar review was Fremer's review of Analogue Production's Ella Fitzgerald Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie. I'm no remastering engineer, but why can't we retain some of that original warmth without compression?
    I think one thing that is forgotten is that the Producers/engineers were there at the recording and knew what it sounded like. Therefore they could make the appropriate corrections say when mixing from the 3 to 2-track master.

    I also think a part of the difference is the vinyl. The older vinyl to my ears has a particular sound that gives it that sort of warm and fuzzy character. Conversely one argument could be we are hearing the tapes for the first time. That has to be balanced out against what losses have occurred over the years. We are talking about 60+ year old tapes.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
    ________________________________________

    Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

      I think one thing that is forgotten is that the Producers/engineers were there at the recording and knew what it sounded like. Therefore they could make the appropriate corrections say when mixing from the 3 to 2-track master.

      I also think a part of the difference is the vinyl. The older vinyl to my ears has a particular sound that gives it that sort of warm and fuzzy character. Conversely one argument could be we are hearing the tapes for the first time. That has to be balanced out against what losses have occurred over the years. We are talking about 60+ year old tapes.
      I don't think Opamps existed in gear in the 50s and 60s either. Everything was either tubed or discreet SS. Imagine the effect of rectification in every stage.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by JackD201 View Post

        I don't think Opamps existed in gear in the 50s and 60s either. Everything was either tubed or discreet SS. Imagine the effect of rectification in every stage.
        And Bob Ohlsson a while back talked about the decline of studio consoles beginning in the early '70s too.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
        ________________________________________

        Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

        Comment


        • #19
          I'd like to read that Myles. I remember back in school we all loved the sound of the Rupert Neve VR over that of the SSL 9000J. Signal path was quirky as all heck compared to the SSL but boy did the old boy have verve.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by jonathanb View Post
            I don't think that current recordings are brighter than ever. I've found that they have been mastered to be (much) louder than ever.
            In a nutshell, this is impossible. The maximum level on a CD is 0 VU and using a process called Normalization, all tracks on nearly all CDs are Normalized so that the loudest portion of the track is at 0VU.

            On an LP, the limitation is whether the playback will stay in the groove. That too defines an upper limit but its a little more variable as you can cut a little louder on a 45 with wide groove spacing.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by JackD201 View Post
              I'd like to read that Myles. I remember back in school we all loved the sound of the Rupert Neve VR over that of the SSL 9000J. Signal path was quirky as all heck compared to the SSL but boy did the old boy have verve.
              Post #8
              I just went through the BestEverAlbums (http://www.besteveralbums.com/yearstats.php?y=1971&f=&fv=&orderby=InfoRankScore&sortdir=desc&page=1)
              Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
              Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
              ________________________________________

              Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

              Comment


              • JackD201
                JackD201 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks!
            Working...
            X