Semantics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semantics?

Recently, I've run across a couple of leading high-end audio designers who adamantly deny "voicing" their products. While I can understand a designer denying he or she designs a product with a certain sound in mind, they still voice a product when selecting for instance the active and passive parts. And if they mean they can tell by measurements, certainly there are two different brands of resistors or capacitors that measure the same but sound different. So what gives?
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Probably as it is a confusing term. They may not be doing what Carver did or shooting for a certain "sound" but if they are listening to their work and the work of others then unless they think it all sounds the same they are in a sense voicing as they are designing to their preference.
    Turntable: - 1. Fairchild 750/OMA slate plinth
    2. Analog Engineering AE-2008 MinusK support.
    Tonearm: 1. Schroder Custom
    2. Schick 12"
    3. Abis SA-1
    Cartridge: Miyajima Kansui and Premium BE Mono
    PhonoPre: AprilSound LR, EMIA Strain Gauge, EMIA silver SUT
    CD: Wadia 860x
    Server: Innuos Zen Mini Mk3
    DAC: Computer Audio Design 1543 Mk2
    Preamp: Bent Audio TAP-X w silver autoformers
    Amplifier: AprilSound SET50 monoblocks
    Speaker: Pioneer PAX-30C

Comment

Winston Ma also pointed out to me that each country has a characteristic sound (sort of like an accent); German (fast), Italian (romantic), Japan (clean), American (bold), etc. I find that interesting.
      Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
      Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
      Phono 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable with 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Decade Phono Preamp
      Phono 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable with 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
      R2R Tape: Studer A810 with Bridge Console
      Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
      Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
      Power: Audio-Ultra Power System, IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
      Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
        Recently, I've run across a couple of leading high-end audio designers who adamantly deny "voicing" their products. While I can understand a designer denying he or she designs a product with a certain sound in mind, they still voice a product when selecting for instance the active and passive parts selection. And if they mean they can tell by measurements, certainly there are two different brands of resistors or capacitors that measure the same but sound different. So what gives?
        Maybe they use designer parts to make you--the consumer--feel better about your purchase, a validation of sorts (peer pressure, safety in numbers and all that jazz). I've spoken off line with a number of designers that really don't overthink the passive parts they use, nor do I gather they go through exhaustive listening comparos. I have a few thoughts/opinions on the subject (designer parts) but they're the sorts of beliefs that will have my audiophile cred questioned
        TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
          Recently, I've run across a couple of leading high-end audio designers who adamantly deny "voicing" their products. While I can understand a designer denying he or she designs a product with a certain sound in mind, they still voice a product when selecting for instance the active and passive parts selection. And if they mean they can tell by measurements, certainly there are two different brands of resistors or capacitors that measure the same but sound different. So what gives?

There can be other reasons for specific parts selection: availability, failure rate, spec tolerance, etc.

I remember Dave Gordon (ARC) telling me they looked at off shore transformers that were built well with tight specs that matched exactly to the American part they had custom made. But the sonics weren't the same as the part they'd be replacing. I don't know if that is voicing, but I'm glad they're particular.

The few designers I know are fastidious about parts selection.

Vladimir Lamm and Ralph Karsten talk, in so many words, about the rules of human hearing -- as assessed empirically. If ignoring those is admantly not voicing, it probably doesn't matter what parts you use.

Comment

I don´t understand why some people consider voicing being something bad or inferior?
            Isn´t this business/hobby about finding a sound you like?

All products are voiced. Even if the designer didn´t have a specific voice as a goal when he/she set out.

The truth isn´t out there!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post
              Winston Ma also pointed out to me that each country has a characteristic sound (sort of like an accent); German (fast), Italian (romantic), Japan (clean), American (bold), etc. I find that interesting.
              I concur with Winston Ma! It is a very interesting phenomenon. I´m not sure if there is actually any truth in it or if we hear these "national traits" because of our preconceptions.

If used them more as analogies when you write about audio it would lead to very funny and confusing reading ...

"The self-rightuos swedish speakers turned out to work very well with a gracious french amplifier" etc ...

Comment

Working...
              X