Mqa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mqa

On ps audio there is a long thread on paper as to how it works. Then of course how it must be bad in sound.
    This is all done without a actual listen.
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
    On ps audio there is a long thread on paper as to how it works. Then of course how it must be bad in sound.
    This is all done without a actual listen.
    PS Audio's forum also has several comments from Paul McGowan about the company's listening tests of MQA and their findings that MQA degrades the sound of their DACs. Interesting comments indeed.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Link and post #? The thread is like reading James Joyce's Ulysses.

Ok
    in the field ill do later. It's a good read but made me mad as it's clearly more about math than hearing it. Even when I got paul
    to admit it sounded better he felt it was cherry picked and not the same red book samples. Maybe he is right but in streaming it is still better a point to get anyone admit.
    HIs new bridge two will be mqa component but not his dac. So at some point he will have to say it's better lol even if on his bridge. I owned both the new bridge was a good streamer.
    analog stuff.
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    Dacs lampi various

Comment

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directs...a-controversy/
      in no way am I picking on them I am truly just being honest as always
      i owned the ds and was a beta tester for it and the bridge 2 as well.
      analog stuff.
      Dacs lampi various

Comment

My ramblings are the last few pages and pissed some off lol
        analog stuff.
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Dr.Ears
          Dr.Ears commented
          Editing a comment
          I feel it is way too soon to pronounce MQA as DOA.

The problem with MQA is there is no way to assure that you really have the master file/tape in all cases. Often the master is lost! Or overwritten (we tried to reissue an album some years back and that's exactly what had happened to the original source file).

IMO, its hype. I like the idea of it, but in practice it does not seem possible.

Comment

Make it a total software solution and I can live with it.
          Chris
          ----------------------------------------------------------------
          Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

Originally posted by atmasphere View Post
            The problem with MQA is there is no way to assure that you really have the master file/tape in all cases. Often the master is lost! Or overwritten (we tried to reissue an album some years back and that's exactly what had happened to the original source file).

IMO, its hype. I like the idea of it, but in practice it does not seem possible.
            MQA does not necessarily mean you are hearing the original master (analog or digital). When the MQA green authentication light comes on it means that what you are hearing has been approved by the licence owner (the label) and that what you are hearing has not been modified or altered by anyone or any device. That "approved" sound may be from the original master or it may be from a copy of the original master or from a "who knows" tape (if it's original or a copy).

When the MQA blue authentication light comes on, it means a person associated with the recording (engineer, producer) has personally approved of the recording and that what you are hearing has not been modified or altered from what the engineer has heard. Again, this recording could be the original master or it could not be.

This at least is an attempt to guarantee a sort of provenance. In all other recordings you hear, you have zero provenance assurance. You have no idea where the recording was sourced from or if it was altered after the fact.

Last edited by Tapetech; 03-31-2017, 10:11 PM.
            -Tim Leinbaugh
            -Professional RTR restoration and modification for 47 years.
            [email protected]
            www.MusicTechnology.com

Comment

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly. At least for analog.

Or best possible version, whatever that means.

I am curious though what MQA means for a digital release if not from the original recording? Isn't every copy the same? Or up or downsampled? What is also puzzling is what exactly is approved. We know the disaster that happened in the early days of HdTracks where record labels sent any piece of crap they had laying around and lied about what they sent. Presumably they were approved.

Myles your comment is true. But the bigger point is does it sound better when it is played non mqa on tidal. My point is strictly about tidal. When I heard several times my own music and mqa on headphones my findings were different.
            Mqa is not dsd nor pcm. It's like dsd in that it has more of the qualities that analog has. A relaxed sound of sorts. One point that it has and again this is over only a few tracks. Is the separation of the sounds. It's what mqa has that no other digital format shows me. Now a simple answer might be cherry pick and new mixing. But I will also say when he tracks whom I have no love for put there music up for sale did they ever care about the quality ?
            analog stuff.
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Tapetech View Post

MQA does not necessarily mean you are hearing the original master (analog or digital). When the MQA green authentication light comes on it means that what you are hearing has been approved by the licence owner (the label) and that what you are hearing has not been modified or altered by anyone or any device. That "approved" sound may be from the original master or it may be from a copy of the original master or from a "who knows" tape (if it's original or a copy).

When the MQA blue authentication light comes on, it means a person associated with the recording (engineer, producer) has personally approved of the recording and that what you are hearing has not been modified or altered from what the engineer has heard. Again, this recording could be the original master or it could not be.

This at least is an attempt to guarantee a sort of providence. In all other recordings you hear, you have zero providence assurance. You have no idea where the recording was sourced from or if it was altered after the fact.

I understand what you mean, but the correct word here would be PROVENANCE, no? Providence is more like chance/fate, and perhaps you were being sarcastic, in that when you buy MQA you roll the dice??? LoL

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                Myles your comment is true. But the bigger point is does it sound better when it is played non mqa on tidal. My point is strictly about tidal. When I heard several times my own music and mqa on headphones my findings were different.
                Mqa is not dsd nor pcm. It's like dsd in that it has more of the qualities that analog has. A relaxed sound of sorts. One point that it has and again this is over only a few tracks. Is the separation of the sounds. It's what mqa has that no other digital format shows me. Now a simple answer might be cherry pick and new mixing. But I will also say when he tracks whom I have no love for put there music up for sale did they ever care about the quality ?
                MQA is PCM. The only differenc is that the fold in the higher detail (sonicall but not actually lossless) over RBCD. When unfolded you get up to 24/192-like resolution. The MQA masters seem to be music remastered to audiophile standards where they do away with compression and other mainstream nasties that audiophile hate, as well as comepensate for the (they claim) audible artifacts introduced by the ADC used in the studio for the original recording. as they have a databse of what ADC did the recording for most all albums, they can do the compensation in the MQA recording and DAC for optimal playback...or some such nonsense. LoL

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds like Dynagroove to me.

As I understand it the MQA process starts at the A/D with an application of their algorithm to correct timing errors. Once this is done then the resulting file can be packaged in an MQA "box" for streaming etc. What I would be interested to know is whether the "original" MQA file sounds better than the folded version and if it would be practical to distribute the non-folded files on discs or for download, as I would think they are fairly large.

MQA as a technology for streaming services like Tidal, Spotify etc does interest me as I have heard things I like a lot when played on a system capable of decoding it fully. I am not really that interested in repurchasing content just for MQA but new recordings that take full advantage of the technology could pull me in. What can't happen is the big labels using MQA as DRM but that's a "we'll see what happens" argument for a later date.

Another issue I haven't heard discussed is would MQA help with vinyl that is sourced from digital files? We all like our AAA recordings but the reality is that a lot of now music starts is's recorded life in digital form, so would MQA's apparent benefits transfer to a vinyl copy.

Turntable: - 1. Fairchild 750/OMA slate plinth
                2. Analog Engineering AE-2008 MinusK support.
                Tonearm: 1. Schroder Custom
                2. Schick 12"
                3. Abis SA-1
                Cartridge: Miyajima Kansui and Premium BE Mono
                PhonoPre: AprilSound LR, EMIA Strain Gauge, EMIA silver SUT
                CD: Wadia 860x
                Server: Innuos Zen Mini Mk3
                DAC: Computer Audio Design 1543 Mk2
                Preamp: Bent Audio TAP-X w silver autoformers
                Amplifier: AprilSound SET50 monoblocks
                Speaker: Pioneer PAX-30C

Comment

Nearing the end in caring about chain I just go by sound to my brain. I still hunt for great sound more than great music
                  it's why I spent the time and money to acquire it. No matter how I look I see it all as bull at some stage for most of it. I have been told there is magic in great tape transfers to dsd and this remains true to me. But I also have what I perceive is grest dsd sourced from pcm
                  man example is billy holiday
                  she has an album that is very very good I recently found out it was sourced from hi Rez pcm. It still remains very good in my mind but if I chased custody it would not be. See my point. As long as mqa sounds better than normal tidal I don't much care how or why. So far I have not found any music in mqa that beats my best stuff or even close to best sourced from analog to dsd or even shim sacd rips. I get why the controversy but have no dog in the fight nor do I want to fight either. I have many pure dsd that in it's self does. It apeal to me as much as an old analog vinyl rip.
                  analog stuff.
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Tapetech View Post

This at least is an attempt to guarantee a sort of providence. In all other recordings you hear, you have zero providence assurance. You have no idea where the recording was sourced from or if it was altered after the fact.
                    That is what one hopes certainly! But what's really happening and what it really means is a bit is set such that the LED is turned on. I guess I'm not that trusting of the labels to actually get this one right. There's money to be made and thus an incentive to set that bit.

Comment

I posted a couple links on Psaudio to show how Mqa is better in some aspects. I am truly amazed of the bull or cool aide they drink there.
                      Beisdes this in there own confusion that of course my almost non existent writing skills might of brought that on.
                      The comp links were Tull , but as a treat I linked joes album Antonio , one replied it was good but had trickery to it. While I am not a recording engineer and maybe it does. But to say it was just good proves a point to me. They must be deaf lol.
                      analog stuff.
                      Dacs lampi various

Comment

Working...
                      X