Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever have a cascading folly of trouble shooting fun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever have a cascading folly of trouble shooting fun?

Solving for some pesky issues today... was supposed to be a 20min test drive to see how things sounded direct out( with the Marantz Model 7) vs. onboard pre pro with my new to me Otari. I was checking the direct out and patch bay arrangement for the internal pre on the Otari.

I had to deal with:
    1. A funky cap on the Otari
    2. A microscopic crack on one of the traces near one of the pin sockets on the deck
    plus

3. Dead spot on the level pot of one channel of Marantz 7 ( I tested the Otari with the direct head input on this pre.) solely due to lack of use lately but it caused some grief as I sorted through it. A few rapid twists left and right and it was ok
    4. No output on my left Beveridge OTL channel - one of the high voltage plugs came slightly loose as I was muddling around. No fun looking for this as its about 2kV going to the panels.

And all on the left channel .. what are the odds? What a load of grief. I unfortunately never step a way I just get angrier and more determined to find it 3hrs later!

Click image for larger version

Name:	tape.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	49582

Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

very familiar indeed. the vast majority of Japanese gear of that era used crappy phenolic substrate for their PC boards which when flexed (doesn't take much) will cause those microscopic 'breaks' in the traces - been there too. you have much more determination than I do, i just pay people to that kind of stuff for me now I still find myself redoing factory terminations on cables because the ground scheme on ICs aren't right or use spades/plugs not sized right for my gear, etc.
    TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

I think I have shit canned it all by hour one!
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
        very familiar indeed. the vast majority of Japanese gear of that era used crappy phenolic substrate for their PC boards which when flexed (doesn't take much) will cause those microscopic 'breaks' in the traces - been there too. you have much more determination than I do, i just pay people to that kind of stuff for me now I still find myself redoing factory terminations on cables because the ground scheme on ICs aren't right or use spades/plugs not sized right for my gear, etc.
        I find I have "less" joy than I used to doing this stuff. I used sit for hours on end modifying, building and testing. Funny story. I found an example of Bedini 25/25 that was pristine cosmetically and untouched inside a few years ago. I wanted to relive my youth with the ESLs. I was travelling so I gave it to the local tech who is quite good because it would sporadically lose bias on one channel.

I got it back and it did it again. He had two tries at it .. the third time I don't think he even looked at it. I got it back and spent the weekend tracking it down and got it-- it was series of heat related parts and connection issues-- those Bedini's fry. When I trouble shoot and repair something it consumes me. When I can , lately , I will give stuff over to others but sometimes I believe its easier to attack on my own. Anything mechanical I'm pretty clutzy with - I can never get stuff back together like motors or other devices so I leave that to pros. I stick to the electronics.

Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
        Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
        Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
        Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
        Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
        Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          good points and people complain when they send a 20+ year old super amp in for service and the bill is a grand or more - its not so much component replacement but the hours chasing down and troubleshooting bugaboos. I'm a shadetree tech and know enough to be dangerous.
      Working...
      X