Perfect albums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect albums

we all have favorite albums , great albums , mood albums.
    But what about perfect albums.
    What could a perfect album be ?
    For me it's a collision of a few things.
    One the quality needs to be ok not great but min ok
    next every track on it I must love
    next every track I must feel connected to by making me feel I know what it means.
    Can some people find and post albums that fit the above
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

I'm not sure there is such a thing, Al. Side 2 of Abbey Road comes as close as I can think of it, but there are many flawed albums that are outstanding-- think of Layla or Blind Faith, as just two examples. Somehow, the really great stuff on those records stands out even more. Obviously, much has to do with personal taste, and there comes a point where an album has been given so much praise and recognition over time that it is hard to listen to it on its own merits-- Kind of Blue or Tea for the Tillerman come to mind.
    I'm always looking for the oddball, the overlooked or the forgotten. Spirit's "Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus" is, to me, a tragically overlooked album today from an amazing (at the time) band. Hardly a weak track on the whole thing, but some tracks just shine.

Comment

• rbbert
      rbbert commented
      Editing a comment
      Spirit in general, and 12 Dreams in particular (even though it is almost a Randy California solo album) are often overlooked. If you hadn't already mentioned it I would have

Let me give you two examples
    both are from JOE Jackson
    one is laughter and lust the other is a live album orange in color. Sorry I cannot think of name right now.
    analog stuff.
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    Dacs lampi various

Comment

• rbbert
      rbbert commented
      Editing a comment
      Blaze of Glory and Laughter and Lust are an amazing pair of albums

I can give you two perfect albums that come quickly to mind. Neil Young's After The Gold Rush and Harvest. Then maybe Stevie Wonder's Innervisions. For me anyway. Then you have more of the rock opera like The Who's Tommy, a prog rock album like Yes's Fragile or simply DSOTM. Those songs have to work together. Or what about David Bowie's Aladdin Sane or Ziggy Stardust? Nothing throw away there.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Is it based on the resultant emotional impact of the songs or the thought process, composition and playing? Or as Al mentioned, every song on the album being amazing?

• rbbert
      rbbert commented
      Editing a comment
      Mostly on the every song problem. For instance, with Tommy, The Who didn't even play a good part of the album when performing it in concert (Cousin Kevin, Sensation, Underture, Overture, etc). Some with the overall artistic value of the album which FWIW I think is both a matter of personal musical tastes and the emotional impact. For instance, I think Wish You Were Here surpasses DSOTM in every way except perhaps sales; others apparently disagree (or perhaps haven't given it much thought?

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny listened to WYWH last weekend and while good, not up to DSOTM in my estimation. But what bothered me the most is there just wasn't enough music on the album.

From a conceptual standpoint, things like DSOTM or Tommy stand out in popular music. In classic music it is how does one view the composition and the performance.

Typically in popular music what I view as the best albums are strong throughout with one or two cuts which are so good they make everything else sound mediocre. As an example o9ne of my favorites is the obscure album "Safety in Numbers" by Crack the Sky. The cut Nuclear Apathy is freakin' awesome and although the rest of the album was superior the other cuts suffered in comparison..

Comment

Ok here's another album that might fit the OT. Fleet wood Mac's Rumours.
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
        1morerecord2clean commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha ha. And talk about tastes. I have a close friend, big rock guy who hates this album. Never knew it until a few weeks ago when I dragged it out and he said how much he dislikes it. Surprises in taste lurk around every corner.

Just some more that I would add for my taste to those mentioned above: Astral Weeks (Van), Miss America (Mary Margaret O' Hara), Trinity Sessions ( Cowboy Junkies), Nothing Like The Sun (Sting), In A Silent Way (Miles), Love Over Gold & Making Movies (Dire Straits), Closing Time, Heart of Saturday Night, Heartattack and Vine (Tom Waits), Nebraska, Tunnel of Love and Wild The Innocent and E Street Shuffle (Bruce), Running on Empty (Jackson), Hard Station (Paul Brady) etc etc.

Comment

The Yougbloods "Elephant Mountain", The Moody Blues "In Search of the Lost Chord", Procol Harum "A Salty Dog"
        Tascam BR-20
        Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS
        Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS
        MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out)
        Pass Labs INT60
        Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
        REL S3 (Kimber Kable connection)
        Daedalus/Wywires, Audioquest, Acoustic Zen, DH cables
        Torus IS5
        Stillpoints and IsoPods, Tube Traps, GIK

Comment

If I had to come up w/one...for rock, DSOTM is an easy choice.
          Christian
          System Gear

Comment

• rockitman
            rockitman commented
            Editing a comment
            Meddle and WYWH are great too. Atom...not so much. I don't even like the record.

• rbbert
            rbbert commented
            Editing a comment
            Echo Bill's point about musical tastes; they significantly overly our opinions

• rockitman
            rockitman commented
            Editing a comment
            yes..musical taste comes into play. I don't know of anyone who doesn't think DSOTM is one of the greatest rock albums ever. Total album Sales bear this out also.

Jehtro tull aqualung
          dire straits a bunch
          analog stuff.
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

Van Morrison: Astral Weeks
            Miles Davis: Kind of Blue
            John Hiatt: Bring the Family
            Townes Van Zandt: Live at the Old Quarter
            Gillian Welch: Time the Revelator

+1 Stevie Wonder: Innervisions

Comment

Love "Forever Changes"
              Les McCann & Eddie Harris "Swiss Movement"
              Tascam BR-20
              Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS
              Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS
              MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out)
              Pass Labs INT60
              Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
              REL S3 (Kimber Kable connection)
              Daedalus/Wywires, Audioquest, Acoustic Zen, DH cables
              Torus IS5
              Stillpoints and IsoPods, Tube Traps, GIK

Comment

Dsotm
                Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Brain Salad Surgery
                  PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
                  www.lasercd.com
                  www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

• Alex Siufy
                    Alex Siufy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "Benny the Bouncer". Really?
                    ELP has no perfect album because they worked really hard not to.

• lasercd
                    lasercd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They often put a comedy bit on their albums. Emerson was a fan of Meade Lux Lewis and boogie woogie jazz piano. I can give them a pass for it.

Van has two albums for me.
                  Moon dance and the love double album can't stop dancing
                  also a count Basie Kansas City shout
                  Ella and LOUIS
                  billi holiday
                  Nora jones not too late.
                  elp trilogy

tou see it's very different for tape and needle drop people. Digital is easy to stop and change
                  analog stuff.
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

Working...
                  X