• Show
Clear All

• speaker wire a good read

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

Isn't he the big cable naysayer?
    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Yes and I am one as well. So as I can follow the science it makes sense. I make no bones to all who buy or sell. If I had no budget I too would do the same expensive cables . If anything it makes me feel good for what I have.
      analog stuff.
      new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
      Dacs lampi various

Comment

I use three 8' runs of copper braid 12 GA. (biwired) to my maggies. Wasn't expensive
        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

There's a lot of practical theoretical sense to what he writes. I have to agree with all of it from a physics perspective. I do hear differences in cable although I don't want to. I believe most are due to interaction to resonant tuned circuits brought on by the reactance of the cable itself.

I have the Valhalla cables which I like on some speaker amp combos. I have spent the money and have a bin full of my quests over the years.

However, I have relieved myself of all the speaker cable controversy now by driving my Beveridge electrostatics directly off the plates of a custom tube amplifier to the stators of the speakers with high voltage silicone test prod wire for the +/- 2000volts about $25 for 50' - I am out of the speaker wire merry go round.

Peter Walker - the engineer and designer of Quad Electrostatic speakers - when asked of the proper requirements for a speaker cable responded:

"There are only two requirements a speaker cable should satisfy. The first is that it should be long enough to reach between amplifier and speaker. Then having done that, the only other requirement is, ideally, the colour of the insulation should match that of the surface on which it is lays."

A bit tongue in cheek . But I trust his engineering talents far more than most speaker cable "designers". What I'm sure he meant was that in a domestic setting any good quality copper conductor of sufficient gauge should do well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0925.JPG Views:	1 Size:	147.6 KB ID:	50566
          Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
          Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
          Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
          Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
          Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
          Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

lets not forget the promotional pablum present in ad copy from the 80s: six nines copper, OFC, long crystal, skin effect, etc. were terms used to give the consumer pause when determining whether a certain brand of cable was worthy of consideration. Whatever you think about Noel Lee or his cables he was a genius at marketing.
            TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Yeah, wires make a difference. My current speaker wires are 8 gauge braided copper and they fleshed out the bottom end with two sets of full range speakers in direct comparison to two other sets of similarly priced wire. Likely cause larger gauge. Considering I bought them new retail I don't think $500 was excessive.

But as things become progressively more expensive I become progressively more skeptical.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                lets not forget the promotional pablum present in ad copy from the 80s: six nines copper, OFC, long crystal, skin effect, etc. were terms used to give the consumer pause when determining whether a certain brand of cable was worthy of consideration. Whatever you think about Noel Lee or his cables he was a genius at marketing.
                A good one for sure. The truth is skin effect exists but st high voltage much more than typical audio voltages. But through it all we all know they do matter as we all have stories and I know I do.
                A audio bud made a commmet to me that made sense while I'll bet most here never thought of it.
                Most of our wires are many stands
                moving them makes new connections as the wires are all touching each other inside the jacket. Sound crazy but it is true. Some one makes headphone wires that are multi stand but each strand is insulated. This is what's used in transformer windings in singe and multi voltage ones.
                For me while it may help I would think it would add cap reactance due to proximity. My overall point is this. If our wires are very short not much will matter. Making them longer is where they add or detract from the sound. I have found and this is my view of its less than two feet it does not matter as long as it's a good gauge 12 or better.
                analog stuff.
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

Interesting read
                  Chris
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------
                  Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

I think people are fooling themselves if they think cables matter as much to a system's sound as room acoustics or the speakers. But I also think they are fooling themselves if they think cables between any two given pieces of equipment don't matter. The impedance interactions alone, and the fact that a cable can't be low "everything" (inductance, resistance, capacitance, etc.) strongly suggest there will be differences. How audible is a different question.
                    Tascam BR-20
                    Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS
                    Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS
                    MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out)
                    Pass Labs INT60
                    Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
                    REL S3 (Kimber Kable connection)
                    Daedalus/Wywires, Audioquest, Acoustic Zen, DH cables
                    Torus IS5
                    Stillpoints and IsoPods, Tube Traps, GIK

Comment

Here is a commmet some wire clear coated if silver turns green inside from oxidation some copper do as well. I honestly don't know what exactly cauaes it. But there are some who claim the wire is now in need of change
                      If its crimped or soldered does it ? Does the wire change In sound. If we crimp too tightly we can damage the wire fracture it this does change it's current caring capacity.
                      All crimps made have a pressure and type of die to be used. In our audio there is very little info on this.
                      Also if we choose to solder again little info but plenty of claims I use a type of solder that is lead free and has some form of silver. Now keep
                      in mind silver melts at a higher temp than standard solder does. It's all very simple but the choices become the issue.
                      Lastly nothing I post is meant to hurt anyone's pocket
                      from the many great companies that put many dollars into there research in producing a product that does improve our sound. Given all systems and it's components vary in use.
                      If I am asked if I am an audiophile my simple answer is no. As many on forums know so much more then I ever will. My views are from my limited use of products and reading like the artical I linked. I think over all for me as an agnostic I must hear it or see for myself this makes me a bit ignorant at times due my limited lack of use of many products. This is why I don't consider myself anything more then a limited experienced user.
                      I do know what I like very well. And listening to many other systems I can hear the good or bad of each. But again it's purly for me. An audiophile in my world should know if its correct and offer help or ideas how to make it better.
                      People like Myles or bob of Rapsidy not only know when it's correct but also have the ability to offer what to do in advice. There is a big difference in knowing great and knowing what each of likes.
                      Having said the above I do feel all wired matter drom
                      power cords to speakers to interconnects period

how much or if it's good or nkt is where I draw the line
                      analog stuff.
                      Dacs lampi various

Comment

Nah, not a good read. A waste of time.

No horse too dead to beat. No straw man left unburnt.

My conclusion now from reading this was the same as it was when I read it a few years ago: what's your point?

Comment

Working...
                        X