No announcement yet.

Where do you get your audio info from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you get your audio info from?

High end audio is technical, no way around that.
    So anything technical by definition requires info, both historical info as well as the new cutting edge info.

Where do you get your info from?
    Also where do you believe you get the best and most reliable info?

Audio magazines
    Forums
    Audio shows
    Internet research
    Technical papers
    Dealers
    Manufacturers
    Audio distributors
    Videos
    Friends
    Good old trial and error
    Audio societies
    Fairies, ha.
    Any other source worth looking into?

All the above. But instead of Fairies, I prefer gurus or better yet, Yoda.
    Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
    Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
    Phono 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable with 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Decade Phono Preamp
    Phono 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable with 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
    R2R Tape: Studer A810 with Bridge Console
    Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
    Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
    Power: Audio-Ultra Power System, IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
    Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

the collective wisdom of forums like this one and others are excellent resources. I draw from members like you here on AN with diverse backgrounds and experiences.

the most BS-free advice and knowledge I've received was from techs that worked in the industry, Often the picture they'd paint of this hobby wasn't flattering but it's gifted me with a jaundiced eye capable of discerning the good from bad principles in music reproduction that have served me well.
      TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

• Greg Beron
        Greg Beron commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Rob, like everyone knows in this hobby it's been a long and expensive road to travel....
        But what has been rewarding along the way is talking with people like yourself on the forum with a common compulsive love of the freaking MUSIC!

My ears
      Manufacturers
      Manufacturers technical papers
      A few magazine writers
      Internet & journal research
      Personal experience
      Experienced audiophiles
      A few tube dealers

Comment

Audio magazines - Not so much anymore. Stereophile because of Herb Reichert because he is an interesting read and does cover a bit more affordable (by my standards) equipment. Absolute Sound isn't what it used to be back in Harrys day and I am not enamored of reviews which tout $200,000 speakers while basically apologizing for their flaws. For $200,000 it better make me a ham sandwich and light my cigar too.

Forums - This forum is largely it as I have an aversion to trolls and idiots.

Internet research - Only for specific items that have already caught my interest.

Manufacturers - I have contacted manufactures when I was about ready to pull the trigger anyhow.

Friends - I only have one friend left interested in audio and he's 1500 miles away and further than that in preferences. He's a tube and horn guy but we have fun talking.

Good old trial and error - Oh HE double hockey sticks no. I don't have the cash to play that game.

Fairies, ha - Ouija board, sometimes as good as any other source.

Comment

Internet research first.

Comment

These days, I use mostly Internet articles/reviews and various forums (this one is rapidly becoming my favorite!) to get a baseline on something and determine if it's worth my time and money to audition. but ultimately the information I consider most valuable is derived from plain, old-fashioned listening.
            Source: Marantz SA-7S1 (modded); Amplifier: Coda S12.5 stereo amplifier (modded); Speakers: JENA Labs Studio Reference; Cabling and power conditioning: JENA Labs, Dussun; Subwoofer: Rythmik 15" with DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 EQ; Isolation: SRA Craz rack, SRA Ohio Class base under source, SRA VR bases under amplifier and Dussun regenerator

Comment

I know a guy.
              Chris
              ----------------------------------------------------------------
              Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

Originally posted by Rust View Post
                For $200,000 it better make me a ham sandwich and light my cigar too.
                HA! That's funny right there....
                And do zero to 60 in under 4 seconds!

Comment

I also think the expansion of the audio shows across the US has done allot to bring more options for info and most importantly, the ability to listen with your own two ears.

The internet giveth and taketh away...
                  Sometimes I talk to customers that have done tons of research and have a list of gear all sorted out they want to buy, but when you ask them have they heard it the answer is all too often, NO.

You have to admit that the audio shows have brought lots of new gear to check out that was never at a dealer in your city.

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
                    1morerecord2clean commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I savor the shows and wait with anticipation for them. Not because I think I'll find my next piece of gear there but for what I think could be possibilities in my own system. And sometimes I realize that what I have rivals the best anyway which makes me feel good as well.

Hey Greg, hope all is well. I only seek tech info when I have to and use this forum and a few others and websites - analogplanet, positive feedback, parttimeaudiophile, manufacturer data - but again, this is for tech info which you asked about. I let my ears do the rest.
                  Magnepan 1.7i, VMPS Large Sub, Belden 5000 Speaker Cable, Synthesis 510 AC Integrated Amplifier, Celtic Dragon & Grover EX+ Interconnects, Crown SX 722 R/R, Nakamichi RX 202 Cassette Deck, PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier, Clearaudio Solution Turntable, Clearaudio Satisfy Tone Arm, Clearaudio Concerto V2 Cartridge, Clearaudio Smart Syncro, Belkin AP41300 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, Transparent Power Cables

Comment

I used to get my info from subscriptions to AUDIO, STEREO REVIEW and HIGH FIDELITY magazines. Sadly all gone for years now. Now I page through the occasional Stereophile, Absolute Sound, browse the interwebs and monkey around on forums.

Comment

Forums. Especially ones for the type I need. As I am not an analog person audio still in places like this is a wealth of info anyway.
                      computor audio there is a couple one we know is best for it.
                      Headfi is a very large wealth of info on anything over the head. But also anything else.
                      Analog this is best I have found in both people knowledge and temperament essecislly of me lol.
                      Internet as well but only if it leads me to s frouns I know
                      or someone I know.
                      analog stuff.
                      otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                      otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                      sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                      new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                      thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                      thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                      kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                      phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                      speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                      mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                      digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                      Dacs lampi various

Comment

After 40 years I already have a lot of info. The only other audio newsgroup I participate in is Audio Asylum and the only publication I read regularly is Stereophile.
                        Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

Little off topic but which do you take more seriously? Equipment or music reviews?
                          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                          -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                          -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                          -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Working...
                          X