Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long Have You Been Interested In High-End Audio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long Have You Been Interested In High-End Audio?

Spill the beans!
    0-1 year
    0%
    1-3 years
    0%
    3-5 years
    0%
    5-10 years
    0%
    10-20 years
    2.22%
    20-30 years
    6.67%
    30-40 years
    44.44%
    >40 years
    46.67%
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Since 1969, but I can't subtract as well as I used to
    Tascam BR-20
    Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS
    Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS
    MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out)
    Pass Labs INT60
    Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
    REL S3 (Kimber Kable connection)
    Daedalus/Wywires, Audioquest, Acoustic Zen, DH cables
    Torus IS5
    Stillpoints and IsoPods, Tube Traps, GIK

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you do anything as well?

Over 40 years. I'm 62 and remember when I was 15 and heard an insane system at a pawn shop I went into with an old guy I was working for doing yard work. I was hooked and have not looked back.
    SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
    DIGITAL - Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC. Roon Nucleus w/EAT Lps power supply. Auralic Aires G1
    PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
    PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
    AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
    SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) JL Audio F112 V2 (x2)
    CABLES: Kubala-Sosna, Kubala Sosna Xpander.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

It was 1973 and I heard DSOTM on Tape. Had never hear anything so glorious in my life and I knew immediately that high-end audio was something I wanted to explore. I've never really been able (financially) to get to where I'd love to be, but I've discovered that much can be had with less. So I'm more than OK with that!
      Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

It was probably 1986 or so, when I heard Dire Straits' "So Far Away" on a massive, tube-based system at Sound by Singer in NYC. That was the hook! I think the sales guy knew by the look in my eyes that I was doomed! 😀
        Source: Marantz SA-7S1 (modded); Amplifier: Coda S12.5 stereo amplifier (modded); Speakers: JENA Labs Studio Reference; Cabling and power conditioning: JENA Labs, Dussun; Subwoofer: Rythmik 15" with DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 EQ; Isolation: SRA Craz rack, SRA Ohio Class base under source, SRA VR bases under amplifier and Dussun regenerator

Comment

1963, age 12, Ithaca, NY - My parents had an RCA turntable that used the speaker of our Dumont TV console. I used the proceeds from my paper route to upgrade..purchase a 2nd speaker. When I realized there was no place to connect it, I returned and the shop owner explained what else I needed.

Comment

I've always been invested in music. Equipment, well the first time one of the guys scratched together a system with a set of small used JBL monitors rather than a suitcase record player I started to see the possibilities. Can't remember the receiver but he had a Garrard turntable to go with it.

Still a delinquent rocker at heart.

Comment

I had a couple of musician friends who were into it as far back as 1970. I was in school, broke, and totally into practicing and performing. There was nothing else. Actually I knew someone in the mid 60s in high school who had high end equipment. Wasn't my thing at the time although I knew it was better than my system at the time. My father and I used to nose around a high end shop when I was in high school but he was never able to muster the cash.
              TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
              Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

My parents would play classical music including grand opera (mostly Puccini and Verdi) on our Heathkit system that my father built. It started as a mono system in the mid 50's and became a stereo system in the late '50's or early '60's. They had a Garrard turntable. I think a Shure cartridge. Freshman year in college in 1963, I bought an early AR TT with a Shure cartridge. I actually had it serviced at the AR factory which was across town in Cambridge, MA. I remember taking the MTA (remember Charlie who could's get off the MTA - Kingston Trio) to get to the factory.

Larry
                Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
                Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

another way to interpret the results is show the age of the respondents, at 51 I think i'm one of the 'kids' around here
                  TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
                    Johnny Vinyl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Get me a beer, sonny! Hop to it.

• Rob
                    Rob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    only if you let me drink with you

• Johnny Vinyl
                    Johnny Vinyl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cheers!

Fresh kid!😎
                  TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
                  Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

I suppose I should add that I was buying guitars years before I purchased my first really serious stereo equipment. To this day I still think that long since defunct Gibson SG (killed by the dreaded SG design flaw) and a Marshall sounded as good as anything else I've heard since. Back in the day such things could be found used dirt cheap and I sure wish I still had both.

Written while cranking ZZ Tops "Tres Hombres" to get the morning juices flowing.

Comment

Over 30 years. I'm even younger than Rob but not by much. I'm 47.

Comment

• Rob
                        Rob commented
                        Editing a comment
                        bet your 50th will be something else, we may all have to crash your party

• JackD201
                        JackD201 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You're all cordially invited

By the looks of the poll it seems were a bunch of old folk
                      Jeff Whitlock
                      A/V Solutions

www.avsolutionsca.com

Comment

• Audioraven
                        Audioraven commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nah... We just started out really young.

Started young. Thank you Dad, Mom, and a few of my Uncles.
                      [TURNTABLE] TW Acustic Raven One [TONEARM] Dynavector DV 507Mkii & Graham Phantom [PHONO] BAT VK-P10 & Dynavector PHA200; [CARTRIDGE] Dynavector XV1S, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cadenza Mono [TAPE] Otari MTR15 & Technics RS1500 with JRF Headblock [DIGITAL] Grace Design M920, Lynx Auroa 8 ADC/DAC, Mac Mini with roon labs [PRAMP] McIntosh C2300 [AMP] McIntosh C601s [SPEAKERS] Legacy Audio Whisper & Wavelet [ACC] Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Working...
                      X