Using eq to make your music new again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using eq to make your music new again

Using Eq to make your music sound all new again !!!

in rolling tubes and trying various eq settings I have found many hidden sounds in my beloved music. In the past this has happened with various headphones and amps for them.

What really is going on is EQ allowing a change in the overall balance. I know we all and me included look for perfect balance.

And some claim to know when it is balanced
    And I think there right. Except for what we think is right. Some of this may be taste but I think it's more of we each hear a bit different.

Having said that how many hear would even consider an eq even though all analog has them built in to tape and vinyl. A little eq puts a whole new twist on our music

It can completely change staging
    Too from front to back and side to side. For me to hear my music Ina an all new light. Going from my main rig to my truck it's the same. I sometimes hear new sounds
    in ruby Tuesday there is a chello that groans through out the song. But give a little of the right eq pushes it forward and chages micks vocals.

There was a day when we all had tone controls at one point three of them. Now we have none and not even a balance control. I am just wondering does anyone else feel this way.
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

I use Eq in my system but only to adjust for the room. I listen to music over a flat frequency response it seems well balanced to me. I use REW to attain these results...

Comment

REW ?
      analog stuff.
      new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
      Dacs lampi various

Comment

Was it Peter Walker who said there is the right volume for every song or something like that? So simple but so deep .

In my case I always use EQ for background music. I have a preprogrammed preset on my laptop. When I'm doing solo listening I just change the volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
          REW ?
          https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

works great for free once you get yourself a mic.
          Chris
          ----------------------------------------------------------------
          Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

I seem to have voted with my equipment choices: McIntosh C2300 pre with tone controls (used judiciously) and Vandersteen 5A loudspeakers with bass equalization and other tone controls built in. Real world situations (actual rooms) suggest a need for adjustments such as these, not all of which can be accomplished with other room treatments.
            Lyra Kleos SL, Dynavector XX-2MKII, VPI JMW 10.5i, VPI Aries, VPI SDS, ModWright PH-150 Reference Phono, Sony HAP-Z1ES server, McIntosh MR80, McIntosh C2300, McIntosh MC352, Vandersteen 5A, PS Audio P10, Bright Star Audio Rack of Gibraltar. Cables: Shunyata Cobra Ztron IC, PS Audio Statement AC, Synergistic Research AC, Harmonic Tech Silver Phono, Cable Research Labs Silver IC, Audioquest Gibraltar bi-wire.

Comment

As for room adjustments I have a Deqx HDP4. While it does some good it also removes some air and emotional contrast. Maybe I need to live with it for a while to judge.
              It tends to increase clarity with some eq in a way
              analog stuff.
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

Al, that's what mastering is all about. However, as Bernie Grundman told me, "It is just as important not to do too much as it is not to do too little". If you had mastering tools such as this one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Portico2MBP

You can widen as well as deepen your soundstage and bring the soloist forward or recess him/her backwards. However, all these are artificial tools and may result in listening fatigue.
                Gary L Koh, CEO and Chief Designer
                Genesis Advanced Technologies, Inc.
                www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Comment

I know for a while, Christian was using a Millennia NSEQ-4 to adjust for his taste. Great piece of kit, since I have one in the studio as well!!

Comment

I agree it's good for one track but bad for others. I feel rolling tubes in my dac allows me to make chages that still remain pleasing over a more wider musical range.
                    analog stuff.
                    Dacs lampi various

Comment

the equalizer circuitry itself may do more harm than what help it may achieve
                      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Your correct but the purpose of this post is to show how eq can change the perspective of a song.
                        I make no claims for all to use it and we Audio people are tightly held to perfection of equality in our setups.
                        Eq also can help a bad sounding track sound good
                        I was just wondering who or how many have ever tried it.
                        Playback of digital makes this so easy. J river has cool eq function to enable and disable.
                        analog stuff.
                        Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce B View Post
                          I know for a while, Christian was using a Millennia NSEQ-4 to adjust for his taste. Great piece of kit, since I have one in the studio as well!!
                          I still have it. I only use it on live recorded music when necessary. Anything from the studio labels....99% of the time, I don't touch. I prefer true to the source. It's in a tape loop on my XS pre so it's never in the main audio chain listening circuit.
                          Christian
                          System Gear

Comment

Ok guys I use Eq to correct the room not the music, there is a big difference!!! I want to listen to music over a flat frequency response and to do that you must fix the room... Bass traps FRZ panels Difuzzers, EQ, etc... There is all sorts of room treatments Eq is just one of them, for those who have not treated their rooms you are probably hearing a lot boom and don't even know.. Because we have heard it all our lives and most have not heard corrected bass or a room treated for proper bass...

Comment

I've rewritten this twice to be less of a disjointed rant with marginal success so....

Equalization can be viewed as a two part process. One is to correct in room response. The other is to correct for perceived tonal deficiencies in the recording. Face it, not all recordings are pristine audiophile fare. All too often recordings suffer from ham-fisted mastering and production so a little judicious equalization can make a poor recording of a good performance much more listenable. Sometimes when listening to records that were supposedly RIAA, they sound better with an alternative equalization. I wonder if the equipment was not all that accurate to begin with, the monitors used were that bad or if whoever was at the controls was just tone deaf.

This is one area where digital has it all over analog. Even something like the little Astell and Kern portable digital player has twenty bands of 0.1 dB of equalization available.

I've been listening to a recording where the female lead is way too far forward in the mix which makes the recording hot in the mid and upper mid range. The orchestral underpinnings are lost in the mix at low volume and it is just too hot to be played much louder as is. Judicious use of tone controls alleviate this to a degree. I'll grant they remove a little life from the recording but taken as a whole it is an improvement.

A recording needs to be played at a level where it creates an appropriate sound field for that particular recording. Maybe it's that "palpable" thing I keep reading about, to me meaning an immersive sound field that envelopes the listener. If tonal control helps a recording reach that level what's not to like.

As a final thought, lack of the ability to achieve L-R balance somewhere in the reproductive chain IMO is just plain stupid. There are a few recordings in my collection where the left channel is mildly missing in action and the balance control centers things up to where they should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X