Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's The Most Embarassing Audio Related Thing You've Done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's The Most Embarassing Audio Related Thing You've Done?

Yes, we've all forgotten at least one time to switch that turntable back to 33 rpm after playing a 45 rpm album. Maybe more than for a couple of seconds if that 33 rpm LP happened to be electronica. Maybe it even sounded better.

But what else have you done that caused some consternation or giggles? It even counts if under the influence.

Me? Just tonight couldn't figure out why the system didn't sound right. Three records later realized forgot to take the grill off the right speaker. In my defense, it was the evening and the room was getting dark! 😤
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

my schlemiel moment happened recently retubing an early VTL preamp. manuals don't exist and the 'VTL book" was it. The schematics didn't match my unit, Manley assumed too much as did I (why write it down when you have "the book") long story short, I inserted 12At7 where 12AX7 were supposed to be and found out from Bea they were not only in the wrong location but were 12Au7s to boot (miss labeled boxes). I pleaded temporary dementia

Comment

• JCOConnell
      JCOConnell commented
      Editing a comment
      did anything get damaged?

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      luckily no, but the bill to service the piece was equal to half its resale value. at least now it sounds better than ever!

I've played stereo records with the preamp still on "mono" in the past. I cant make this mistake with my current setup as the stereo/mono switch also switches the source as I have both stereo and mono tables/carts.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Dusting. And being incredibly careful around the turntable and cartridge. So I lean in to see better. I had a baseball cap on...the brim of the cap perfectly clipped off the cantilever on my Lyra Skala.... UGH.
      Speakers: Rockport Lyra
      Amps: Nagra HD Pre Amp & HD Amps
      Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus Gen 6 cabling
      Power Transparent Opus Power Cords & Opus Isolators
      Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
      Phono: Grand Prix Monaco 2.0 TT, Kuzma 4-Point, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Nagra Classic Phono & PSU
      Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x4)

Comment

Nothing dramatic that I can think of. Have broken a record or two from mishandling. One of them was a UK pressing of The White Album on white vinyl (that hurt). Forgot to change speeds and had it play for almost an entire side before it hit me. LOL! Sounded good to me at the time!
        Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Originally posted by jfrech View Post
          Dusting. And being incredibly careful around the turntable and cartridge. So I lean in to see better. I had a baseball cap on...the brim of the cap perfectly clipped off the cantilever on my Lyra Skala.... UGH.
          Over the years a few cleaning ladies have been responsible for making cantilevers disappear too! 😤

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
          -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
          -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
          -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
            Johnny Vinyl commented
            Editing a comment
            Had that happen with a babysitter. I only had the Sumiko Blue Point Nude for about 2 months, and I specifically told them not to touch my TT. Father wouldn't compensate me. Expensive dinner that was.

• Letsmakeadeal
            Letsmakeadeal commented
            Editing a comment
            This is one reason why my music room has a lock on the door and only I have the key...

My most embarrassing moments are a few of the purchases I've made.
          SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
          DIGITAL - Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC. Roon Nucleus w/EAT Lps power supply. Auralic Aires G1
          PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
          PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
          AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
          SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) JL Audio F112 V2 (x2)
          CABLES: Kubala-Sosna, Kubala Sosna Xpander.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

Not looking more carefully at an album I put on to play after I'd been asked about the bass quality of my system.

When you mistakenly put on a dbx encoded LP without the decoder, the result is basically no bass!
            Main:VPI TNT V, SME V, Koetsu Urushi, Vendetta SCP2-D, Conrad Johnson Premier 14, Conrad Johnson Premier 11a, Wilson Maxx 2, Inouye power conditioner, Moon 280D DAC

#2 Sota Cosmos, SME V, Lyra Clavis, Bryston BP17, Conrad Johnson Premier 15 phono, Classe DR3 VHC, Martin Logan CLS, Hegel HD12 DAC

#3 Roksan Radius 5/Nima/Goldring Eroica LX Classe DR-7, Classe DR3 VHC bridged monos + PSE V monos (bass), Classe DAC1 DAC, Vandersteen 4A,

#4 (AV) Marantz AV 7702 Mk2, Rowland 5, Wilson Maxx 2, Vandersteen VSM-1 (x4), Hsu VTF-15H Mk 2 (x2)

Comment

A while ago I bought a CD at my friend's store. When I got home there was no CD in the jewel case. I went back a week later to get the CD, spent a good amount of time talking, and went home. I opened the case and... no CD.

Comment

I have plenty maybe too many especially if I have been drinking. Amps on and turned on my lampi dac. Not that loud but it sure woke me up. I think Turning on in the correct sequence is most important for all of us.
                A few months back I was changing out the old crimp
                connectores on the woofer columns. This loosened up one of the servo leads. This made the one tower boomy
                so I attempted to fix it. Well as it was not right after fixing it something odd happened. There was a two thousand watt 6/12 inch thunder in my room lol. I always keep a 7 amp fuse in each column even though the Manuel says 15 slow blow. When I had the amps services he told never go higher than ten and 7 of they don't blow. The fuse did not blow but wow how fast I hit he circuit breaker to kill he ISO transformer. The servo connection have been redone
                this will never happen again to anyone who buys them.
                analog stuff.
                otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                  Yes, we've all forgotten at least one time to switch that turntable back to 33 rpm after playing a 45 rpm album. Maybe more than for a couple of seconds if that 33 rpm LP happened to be electronica. Maybe it even sounded better.

But what else have you done that caused some consternation or giggles? It even counts if under the influence.

Me? Just tonight couldn't figure out why the system didn't sound right. Three records later realized forgot to take the grill off the right speaker. In my defense, it was the evening and the room was getting dark! 😤
                  The 45 playing at 33 has occurred a number of times, but no "45" demarcation was on the sleeve or piece of vinyl.

Avalon Time, Walker Proscenium, Koetsu Coralstone, Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Goldfinger Statement, Dalby record weight, Kondo KSL-SFz step-up, Jadis JP80-MC...heavily modified, Convergent Audio JL-2 Black Path, Sony NS999 ES Modwright modded, full loom High Fidelity Ultimate cables, Rel S-5 sub, Stillpoints ultra and 5's, Shun Mook, Dalby footers, Critical Mass bases, Acoustic System Resonators, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Telefunkens throughout, assorted fuses, Furutech outlets, PurePower conditioner.

Comment

You guys are too clean. I was expecting something along the lines of getting stuck in a tight port. Not that it's ever happened to me, I mean my ports are too large, no, my U-no-what isn't tiny either, in fact I've never done that Damn, forget I said anything.

Comment

Hey rockitman , how about New Years 1991 and that cord pulling incident on the DAT machine....
                      TT- ATLP120 mod> AT120eb (Lofgren), Denon 103
                      Pre- Emotiva XPS-1 Phono, McCormack Line Drive
                      Power- Parasound New Classic 2125v2
                      Dig- JRiver 20 server> Adcom GDA-700.
                      Speakers- Mirage M7si, Stax SR5, Stax SR34
                      Wires- Transparent, Kimber, AQ, Tributaries

Comment

Originally posted by Boltman92124 View Post
                        Hey rockitman , how about New Years 1991 and that cord pulling incident on the DAT machine....
                        I have a much better version of that show now lol.

Christian
                        System Gear

Comment

• Boltman92124
                          Boltman92124 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Foaming....lol. Silver Denon it was I believe. Still in working order!

• Boltman92124
                          Boltman92124 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Alot of balloon popping and general confusion led to the incident. Branford Marsalis also threw things off track early.

Around 27 years ago I cleaned the pins of the 6550s in my ARC D-76 amp and plugged them back in before they were completely dry even though I thought they were. I powered on the amp and blew a trace off of the PCB. I thought I was screwed. One of the best electrical engineers I have ever known repaired it for me in no time.
                        Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                          MylesBAstor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Now that you reminded me, I did something similar decades ago when water was trapped in the base. Luckily all that was damaged was the tube.
                      Working...
                      X