I'm having one of those stand-out listening nights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm having one of those stand-out listening nights

So...since late afternoon til now my system is performing consistently, exceptionally well. One of those weird nights; an engaging musical experiences with deep soundstage, controlled bass and better than usual delineation. So odd when this happens, and of course so welcome as opposed to the nights when presentation collapses, or sounds bright and unpleasant...hi-fi-ish.
    Could it be the electricity...or after 8 years have the cables finally broken in...or maybe it's just my mental/emotional state. Doubt the last, since that's usually a bit fucked up.
    Anyways, it's a blissful evening. I may not want to shut it down.
    Avalon Time, Walker Proscenium, Koetsu Coralstone, Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Goldfinger Statement, Dalby record weight, Kondo KSL-SFz step-up, Jadis JP80-MC...heavily modified, Convergent Audio JL-2 Black Path, Sony NS999 ES Modwright modded, full loom High Fidelity Ultimate cables, Rel S-5 sub, Stillpoints ultra and 5's, Shun Mook, Dalby footers, Critical Mass bases, Acoustic System Resonators, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Telefunkens throughout, assorted fuses, Furutech outlets, PurePower conditioner.

Bottle it!
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• siddh
      siddh commented
      Editing a comment
      Tell me how...πŸ€”

• 1morerecord2clean
      1morerecord2clean commented
      Editing a comment
      🍾πŸ₯ƒπŸ₯‚

I think it is a combo of a good state of mind, good electricity and lower than usual background noise!

Comment

I love those days (or nights). I listen mostly during the daytime so I can't say good electricity and less background noises are a factor. As such I can only say it has to do more with mood or frame of mind over anything else. Even if electricity/lack of noise were a factor I'd still say its primarily a mood/mind thing.

It's been awhile, due to a lack of access to my room, but hopefully I will experience this kind of musical bliss soon.
      Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Mood affects listening pleasure, IME. Also: your system had a chance to warm up for a pretty long time. Makes a difference here too.

Hope your good fortune continues . . .
        Lyra Kleos SL, Dynavector XX-2MKII, VPI JMW 10.5i, VPI Aries, VPI SDS, ModWright PH-150 Reference Phono, Sony HAP-Z1ES server, McIntosh MR80, McIntosh C2300, McIntosh MC352, Vandersteen 5A, PS Audio P10, Bright Star Audio Rack of Gibraltar. Cables: Shunyata Cobra Ztron IC, PS Audio Statement AC, Synergistic Research AC, Harmonic Tech Silver Phono, Cable Research Labs Silver IC, Audioquest Gibraltar bi-wire.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't underestimate warm up time.

I've found that a little single malt can contribute to a listening session, however overdoing it can lead to issues when changing LPs.

Comment

For me I doubt it's power not that I know better it's more about I scope and test it Ina few ways. It's pretty consistent really warming the system up matters almost as much as our mood. For me mood is a mystical thing. I can be happy playing loud and loving. One bad call or email or text and it turns to shiiit. In a second of that don't prove my point nothing will.
          analog stuff.
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
          sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
          new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
          thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
          thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
          kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
          phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
          speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
          mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
          digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by siddh View Post
            .or after 8 years have the cables finally broken in...
            Now that's funny!

Comment

So....a few days away from the system....and...the "magic" is no longer. It all sounds good, but nothing like 5 nights ago. The soundstage has shrunk, highs a bit more trebly, and mid-bass less pronounced. Only variable that I am aware of, is I have run a dehumidifier, lowering the humidity. No drugs, alcohol, family mishaps, work related stress, sexual escapades...or any other conspicuous disturbance to explain the changes. I continue to suspect it is electricity related. I have measured the voltage varies from 111 volts all the way to 121 volts. Years back I had a rep from WE energies take a reading. He also was perplexed by the low output at that measured moment. He theorized it to be related to the usage heavy and service capability.
              So...back to "good" hifi, rather than "I'll be up in about 5 hours" music.
              Avalon Time, Walker Proscenium, Koetsu Coralstone, Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Goldfinger Statement, Dalby record weight, Kondo KSL-SFz step-up, Jadis JP80-MC...heavily modified, Convergent Audio JL-2 Black Path, Sony NS999 ES Modwright modded, full loom High Fidelity Ultimate cables, Rel S-5 sub, Stillpoints ultra and 5's, Shun Mook, Dalby footers, Critical Mass bases, Acoustic System Resonators, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Telefunkens throughout, assorted fuses, Furutech outlets, PurePower conditioner.

Comment

Originally posted by siddh View Post
                So....a few days away from the system....and...the "magic" is no longer. It all sounds good, but nothing like 5 nights ago. The soundstage has shrunk, highs a bit more trebly, and mid-bass less pronounced. Only variable that I am aware of, is I have run a dehumidifier, lowering the humidity. No drugs, alcohol, family mishaps, work related stress, sexual escapades...or any other conspicuous disturbance to explain the changes. I continue to suspect it is electricity related. I have measured the voltage varies from 111 volts all the way to 121 volts. Years back I had a rep from WE energies take a reading. He also was perplexed by the low output at that measured moment. He theorized it to be related to the usage heavy and service capability.
                So...back to "good" hifi, rather than "I'll be up in about 5 hours" music.
                I find that the system sounds better when constantly played every day. It seems to take a day or two say after being off a week or so to sound up to snuff. Of course, I could be imagining it too. πŸ€’

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

I'm so glad someone with better gear has the same problems. this happens to me occasionally and I usually blame my cartridge setup. Various vtf/azimuth/vta changes ensue. I usually head to bed frustrated, then the next night the magic will be back. Luckily 8/10 are excellent sounding nights. Enough to make me lose my mind sometimes. Vinyl has so many variables, if only I could take loud digital music.

Comment

• siddh
                    siddh commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You know, Jeffk, the odd thing, or maybe not so odd, the analog playback sounded somewhat similar to my digital, which I very rarely play. A lack of texture and body. Too crazy.

Originally posted by jeffk View Post
                  I'm so glad someone with better gear has the same problems. this happens to me occasionally and I usually blame my cartridge setup. Various vtf/azimuth/vta changes ensue. I usually head to bed frustrated, then the next night the magic will be back. Luckily 8/10 are excellent sounding nights. Enough to make me lose my mind sometimes. Vinyl has so many variables, if only I could take loud digital music.
                  Some wisdom there. Some nights the system just sounds like crap and all the diddling in the world won't help restore the magic. Best to leave well enough alone and come back to fight another day. That is unless it's something obvious like a bad tube, etc.

Comment

Here is some facts that do take place
                    our systems need warm up time some more than others the more resolving the longer. This is something that can be measured as our devices design spec is done when warmed up
                    next during breaking in one fact is caps do go through a chemical change this can be measured and is known some types of caps take longer.
                    Now the the next fact is this change breaks down when not being used returning it to a closer to new state. This may be why if our system is not played for a while it may sound different and only over time does it get better playing continually. I have for one do feel this is true in part.
                    Now having said this I have sweeped the room to see if something has changed of course I note no changes. But I do feel we do not know with certainty what to test for. But we humans can hear what we cannot measure as well not hear what can measure at times. This puts us in box of uncertainty for sure.
                    Cleaning the connections matters
                    warming up really matters
                    mood and our minds matters more to me then the rest do.
                    i am willing to bet if on a night some claim there system is bad others attending will not feel that way.

Now a follow up to this thought. As I am a headphone guy and have gone to many shows and mini meets. I have never heard anyone say what we have posted above only warmup or tube changing changes. Can it be our stuff is more complex more moving parts. If the cap concept that can be measured is true it's also our cross overs that need to regain the breakin as well.
                    analog stuff.
                    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                    Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                      Here is some facts that do take place
                      our systems need warm up time some more than others the more resolving the longer. This is something that can be measured as our devices design spec is done when warmed up
                      next during breaking in one fact is caps do go through a chemical change this can be measured and is known some types of caps take longer.
                      Now the the next fact is this change breaks down when not being used returning it to a closer to new state. This may be why if our system is not played for a while it may sound different and only over time does it get better playing continually. I have for one do feel this is true in part.
                      Now having said this I have sweeped the room to see if something has changed of course I note no changes. But I do feel we do not know with certainty what to test for. But we humans can hear what we cannot measure as well not hear what can measure at times. This puts us in box of uncertainty for sure.
                      Cleaning the connections matters
                      warming up really matters
                      mood and our minds matters more to me then the rest do.
                      i am willing to bet if on a night some claim there system is bad others attending will not feel that way.

Now a follow up to this thought. As I am a headphone guy and have gone to many shows and mini meets. I have never heard anyone say what we have posted above only warmup or tube changing changes. Can it be our stuff is more complex more moving parts. If the cap concept that can be measured is true it's also our cross overs that need to regain the breakin as well.
                      It might be a generalization but the old VAC Renaissance and Audio Note SE amps that had interstate coupling transformers took forever to sound right. The VAV took 3-5 hrs until it reached its peak. Think HP even mentioned it as the VAC was one of his faves back then.

Comment

Well....it's back. The texture, body; bass slam with growl rather than sludge; extended highs without abrasiveness; mids with body, density and air.

Warm-up? Not really. Things started clicking within 20 minutes. Cartridge adjustment? Just the traditional vta accompanying album thickness. No extra-curriculors, mood enhancers, or genuflections to the divine spirits. It's just kicking ass...love it.

Comment

Working...
                        X