Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Audiogon Becoming a Buyer's Market???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Audiogon Becoming a Buyer's Market???

Is it just me or have times changed over there? It seems that products aren't selling as quickly nor for the same asking money as they did but a couple of years back. To wit, I've sold several pairs of Martin-Logans over they years and the speakers never lasted more than a week online. My Summit-Xs, at a price that I thought very fair, took four months to sell and then at that, $2000 less than I was asking (1/2 of list). Same with a couple of other products. Products just seemed to sit there forever. And I think the prices were very fair. That also despite listing on several sites, nothing ever sells on any sites other than Audiogon.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Is Audiogon Becoming a Buyer's Market??? Yes it is. I had an Audio Research Ref 110 languish for six months before it sold, it was consistently the lowest advertised price. If you think you took a hit how about 64% off retail for a 5 year old amp? that's what I settled for. How do you think the market is faring on new gear?
    Last edited by Rob; 02-29-2016, 01:59 PM.
    Simon Yorke S10 | My Sonic Lab Eminent GL | AcousticPlan PhonoMaster | Wadia X32 | Innuous ZEN Mini Mk II | Valvet Soulshine2 | LTA ZOTL10 MkII | Avantgarde Uno Fino XD

"One of the great challenges of this world: Knowing enough about a subject to think you are right, but not enough about the subject to know you're wrong" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
      Is it just me or have times changed over there? It seems that products aren't selling as quickly nor for the same asking money as they did but a couple of years back. To wit, I've sold several pairs of Martin-Logans over they years and the speakers never lasted more than a week online. My Summit-Xs, at a price that I thought very fair, took four months to sell and then at that, $2000 less than I was asking (1/2 of list). Same with a couple of other products. Products just seemed to sit there forever. And I think the prices were very fair. That also despite listing on several sites, nothing ever sells on any sites other than Audiogon.
      IMHO yes. Items not only sit for long periods of time but I have seen them pulled after a month and reappear several months later sometimes for less money but not necessarily. Unless you want to be bombarded by the overseas market with emails looking to steal equipment for way under your asking price you have to state up front you aren't interested. Even then you will get inquiries. I have been lucky a couple of times selling on US Audio Mart. No fees which is nice.
      TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
      Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator

Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cord, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates & Blue Outlets, Furutech NCF Booster Brace, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD1200s Headphones.

Comment

It depends on what you're selling. I've had fairly good results, but there are always some guys who send insulting offers. Recently a guy told me he had seen a dramatically lower price on a component I was selling yet refused to acknowledge that the one I was selling had several expensive upgrades, some of which were no longer available, and that my price was appropriate, that if he didn't want it that's fine but don't lowball me. So later on he had the nerve to email me again and ask if I'd had any offers. I replied, that's none of your damned business, and I'll never sell anything to you, given your behavior. No wonder people don't like selling there.
        Brian Walsh
        ttsetup.com

Comment

I remember when it cost $2.00 to post an ad on Audiogon and they didn't get a percentage of the selling price. Now your wallet gets hammered when you post an ad and hammered again when your item sells. And if you take PayPal and don't state the buyer pays the fees, you eat another 3.5% And then you get the tire kickers who hope you are desperate and offer you pennies on the dollar from your asking price and they want shipping thrown in at your expense. FeePay is no better. They both make selling audio gear as much fun as a prostate exam.
          Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

It's not just Audiogon. The lowballers are everywhere and it seems to be new standard.
            Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Originally posted by 1morerecord2clean View Post

IMHO yes. Items not only sit for long periods of time but I have seen them pulled after a month and reappear several months later sometimes for less money but not necessarily. Unless you want to be bombarded by the overseas market with emails looking to steal equipment for way under your asking price you have to state up front you aren't interested. Even then you will get inquiries. I have been lucky a couple of times selling on US Audio Mart. No fees which is nice.
              A little OT but I like the strategy some eBay sellers take. If it doesn't sell for $39.95, jack the price up to $99.95.

Yes then you have the emails why are you selling the item for sale. Because I hate it and it's broken.

Then you state won't ship and people write and try and bully you into shipping the sale item.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
              -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
              -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
              -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
              -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by bpw View Post
                It depends on what you're selling. I've had fairly good results, but there are always some guys who send insulting offers. Recently a guy told me he had seen a dramatically lower price on a component I was selling yet refused to acknowledge that the one I was selling had several expensive upgrades, some of which were no longer available, and that my price was appropriate, that if he didn't want it that's fine but don't lowball me. So later on he had the nerve to email me again and ask if I'd had any offers. I replied, that's none of your damned business, and I'll never sell anything to you, given your behavior. No wonder people don't like selling there.
                Or the lowball offers, this is all I have to spend. Like I should feel sorry for him and give him a break as charity case. Especially when you say in ad, no lowball offers and price is firm. Not to mention price is ridiculously low.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
                  I remember when it cost $2.00 to post an ad on Audiogon and they didn't get a percentage of the selling price. Now your wallet gets hammered when you post an ad and hammered again when your item sells. And if you take PayPal and don't state the buyer pays the fees, you eat another 3.5% And then you get the tire kickers who hope you are desperate and offer you pennies on the dollar from your asking price and they want shipping thrown in at your expense. FeePay is no better. They both make selling audio gear as much fun as a prostate exam.
                  While I understand your point, people were beating Agon by selling behind their backs too. Can't tell you how many calls I got about doing offline deals. Well it's not like Agon does anything to help protect you when a deal goes bad.

Remember when Audiogon did Dutch auctions. I won one of these auctions (the only time I ever did it and never again) from a known audio designer who had split with his partner and was making his own PCs. They guy didn't deliver anything for 6 months and it turned out he needed the cash for bail money. Agon took him off (apparently this had happened with this person before but he just would change his name) the site right when I won but did nothing to help. Finally he delivered some piece of crap that looked like it was wrapped in a sock (that according to three of the people who also won and I had become close to) that didn't work for at least two of them. The best part of the story was that somehow this guy's girlfriend found out I was a reviewer and called me to see if I would like to review his cables. Really? Are you smoking crack?

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
                    It's not just Audiogon. The lowballers are everywhere and it seems to be new standard.
                    Glad to hear it's just not me.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

And Audiogon is the only game in town. I've never sold a piece of equipment on any other site.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post

Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Glad to hear it's just not me.

Took big hits on two my C1 and S5s.
                          Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

• Rob
                            Rob commented
                            Editing a comment
                            they're long gone by now, out of curiosity what did you let the S5s go for?? you can PM me if the pain is still too fresh

In Europe, offer of used high-end goods exceeds demand by a large number - this results in low prices. Most times typical retail prices of used expensive equipment between two and five years old are around or less than one third retail price. But sometimes you have to wait a very long time for what you want!
                          My opinions rely on listening mainly to acoustical, non amplified music. I do not care about electronic music or listening to rock at stadium levels, but I enjoy Mahler and Shostakovitch.

Comment

There also seems to be a new disturbing trend of people using Audiogon to shop for equipment eg. they "buy" something to listen. If they don't like the sound, then they complain about something and demand a refund. Even if through Paypal, it seems that Paypal sides with the buyer rather than the seller.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Working...
                            X