Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received Some Discouraging News Today

From Con Ed.

Sure it's common knowledge that New Yorkers pay the most in the United States for their electricity. But to add insult to injury, Con Ed recently mailed out a Home Energy report to customers detailing their energy usage over the last six months. While I'd like to blame my inefficient AC units, truth be told my audio system is an energy hog. Compared to 85 "neighbors," I used 91% more electricity than the average user and 327% than my efficient neighbors. Yes well some of my neighbors are never home. That's it. Lots of empty townhouses. The bottom line is that my audio system costs me about $300 extra every six months to operate.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

yeah but which neighbors gets as many smiles per kilowatt hour that you do

Comment

Are you 100% powered up 24/7?

Comment

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        No, not with tube gear.

Myles I get the same report here in San Diego. Personally I don't believe the report because living in a city as you and I do who are your neighbors? Apartments of all sizes and build qualities? Townhouses of multiple levels? Neighbors in your building or blocks away? And isn't con-ed trying to interest you in a consult to weatherize your home because certainly my power company wants to do that here.
      Turntable: TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Digital: Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

Amplification: PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp, VTL 6.5 preamp Series II, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Loudspeakers: Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Isolation: Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Misc: PS Audio Noise Harvesters, Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

$600/year extra on the electric bill because of your audio system? It's easily the best bang for the buck you'll get for your system!
        Analog: Holbo Turntable, VdH Crimson Strad XGW; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Proteus; Rega RP-8, VAS Nova Mono
        Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
        Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii (pair)
        Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon, Goertz speaker cables

Comment

It's all relative. We have a friend, a born and bred NY'er who has lived in the same apartment for 30 plus years. She doesn't believe in air conditioning. She's of the view that "it only gets hot a couple of weeks a year." I remember summers where the real temp was close to 100F and the humidity was so heavy you felt like you were walking under water. So, she gets bonus points for low carbon footprint. But, I'd rather be comfortable.
          The guy I had install air conditioning in our Brooklyn brownstone (when we lived in the city) was the best. We first used him to do an emergency repair on the water line from the street to the building. Done in a couple hours on a Friday afternoon. After that, i'd call him for anything. And, he'd send guys to take care of it.
          Years later, up in Westchester, I was lamenting the fact that the contractors were incompetent, unreliable and expensive. I said to the wife, "I should really call that guy from Brooklyn." A few weeks later, splashed over the first couple pages of the NY Post, was a lengthy article about him-- he allegedly had a kick-back scheme with the MTA (transit authority), his business partner was going to turn "State's evidence" but disappeared, an investigation into the disappearance was quickly closed and finally, some years later, my guy was indicted for murder, obstruction, kickbacks, money laundering, and probably RICO violations.
          I said to my wife, "you know I really think I should go to court during sentencing and appear as a character witness for the guy. I mean, yeah, I get it, he killed somebody, stole public money, interfered with a police investigation and all kinds of bad stuff, but Your Honor, do you know how hard it is to find a good contractor?"
          I'm sorry I didn't do that. Just goes to show, you never know....

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            try being a GC and hiring reliable subs. I always played babysitter, shrink and financial advisor to guys that worked for us which In part was why i left that business eons ago. there isn't a more talented pool of people i can think of (construction trades) that are at the same time so socially dysfunctional.

• Bill Hart
            Bill Hart commented
            Editing a comment
            Rob- my wife took over as GC on our kitchen renovation back in Grandview when the contractor went into rehab. All his guys were good, but they were majorly fucked up- alcoholic, getting thrown out of their own house and sleeping in their car, etc. Liz used to go to the Irish bar in Nyack to gather them up and get them to work. We came in under budget. I could never do that for a living- I'd go insane.

• c1ferrari
            c1ferrari commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! That's one hell of a story.

I'm 100-150% above similar neighbors for electricity. Such is the Class A bias life....They probably think I'm a weed grower...lol
          Christian
          System Gear

Comment

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            Now that's funny!

Studio = Don't Ask.....

Comment

Well, you could always go with those highly efficient class D amplifiers for ecological responsibility. Electricity is liable to get more expensive in the metro area when they shut down the Indian Point power plant taking about 2,000 megawatts offline.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe need to get ahold of some of Jeff Rowland or Merrill Audio amps. 🤑🤑🤑

• jonathanb
              jonathanb commented
              Editing a comment
              Myles, I'm sure Merrill would be happy to set you up with a pair of Veritas for your listening (and reviewing) pleasure.

I have a totally different viewpoint. if your interest was fine automobiles, or wine, or a sailboat.......what would the ongoing expenses be? compared to the hours of enjoyment?

unless your hobby is running, or reading, or similar.........somewhere you are paying for it.

and $50 extra a month as your 'fuel' is cheap. what is that per hour of use?
            https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

Comment

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              Well on average is 321 kWh per month.

Reckon about 20 hours per week.

• Mike Lavigne
              Mike Lavigne commented
              Editing a comment
              well then......

321 x 12 divided by 52 divided by 20 = 3.70 kWh use per hour of listening. *26.99 cents x 3.70 = $1 per hour of use.

*based on the most accessible down and dirty 'coned NYC' estimate I could find with an easy google.

really not too discouraging....

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              Love you Mike! Always seeing the bright side! 👍

Ditto Mike's perspective. That is pretty inexpensive for the enjoyment you are getting out of your system Myles!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce B View Post
              Studio = Don't Ask.....
              Tropics = Don't ask either!

Comment

• Rust
                Rust commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds like you're dealing with Florida Power and Light in southern Florida. You have my sympathies.

• JackD201
                JackD201 commented
                Editing a comment
                I once lived in Central Florida over summer and fall. I would say YES, less the lightning.

ONTARIO - Don't ask either.

According to numbers released mid-year 2016 Ontario has the highest consumer rate per kwh in North America.
              Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

• pcosta
                pcosta commented
                Editing a comment
                I hear you. Political crooks. Time of use billing is the biggest pile of bull shit out there.
                Last edited by pcosta; 05-31-2017, 11:29 AM.

OTOH......

the cheapest power rates in the USA are just east over the mountains from where I live, along the Columbia River with it's many hydro dams and source of water with all the rain/snow in the mountains getting the north Pacific storms and power friendly topography (water + elevation change). many server farms are located there to take advantage of the cheap abundant reliable power. and my town (on the east edge of the Seattle metropolitan area) is the closest populated area to that same clean abundant power source.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2...e-country-but/
              https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

Comment

Down south in North Carolina is far cheaper then up here.
                My system when all on at idle is above 25 amps. It's why I turn it off unless I am going to play. Only the music server and dacs stay on. I even shut done my 4 naz drives each having 4 spinning drives. Only one naz and two internal solid state drives stay on. Electric is nyc is just nuts like Long Island. Also on the Meter subject coned plans to over the next few months swap out all Meters to a new wifi meter. I am sure this will add more noise to our power incoming.
                analog stuff.
                otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

Working...
                X