Simple or complex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple or complex

one of the ways I judge good digital sound is how it plays aimple and complex music. If the simple is good and complex goes nuts it can be the dac or server.
    But speakers also effect this change. Headphones too.
    Some times it may be the recording as well. But simple to complex is change and the change should be subtle not massive. I know in my system it pretty stable so when it does occur for me it's the recording. The change for worst I define by loosing focus of the individual sounds and blurring. Please way in on this topic I think I may not be perfect in my commnents but do hear well hahahha.
    Staging should remain in place of it moves or goes away
    is a bad sign somewhere. Now don't confuse loud with loss of focus what I am posting about is moderate loudness like 80 DB max. Years ago before my first server
    it was easy to hear when digital went bad. But it's not just digital that goes sideways. Analog does too and I have heard it happen.
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
    one of the ways I judge good digital sound is how it plays aimple and complex music. If the simple is good and complex goes nuts it can be the dac or server.
    But speakers also effect this change. Headphones too.
    Some times it may be the recording as well. But simple to complex is change and the change should be subtle not massive. I know in my system it pretty stable so when it does occur for me it's the recording. The change for worst I define by loosing focus of the individual sounds and blurring. Please way in on this topic I think I may not be perfect in my commnents but do hear well hahahha.
    Staging should remain in place of it moves or goes away
    is a bad sign somewhere. Now don't confuse loud with loss of focus what I am posting about is moderate loudness like 80 DB max. Years ago before my first server
    it was easy to hear when digital went bad. But it's not just digital that goes sideways. Analog does too and I have heard it happen.
    The main culprit in my system for what you describe is electricity, specifically summer electricity. I have zero issues with my sound during the cool & winter months with any kind of music, digital or analog but come summer, ie hot months the sound is all over the place, from disgusting to acceptable on certain types of music. It's a phenomenon that I'm still trying to figure out after all these years...

david
    Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
    Distribution: NEODIO

Special Sales: van den Hul
    Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

Could it be earth ground related David? Ie drier during summer increasing earth potential? And i do beleive that this relates to the issue Al describes when digital starts to suffer, again ground or reactive current related?
      https://zaxisaudio.com/

Comment

David it may not be correct but have you tried the following if only for a while to hear if it improves.
        Take your system power and isolate the ground completly
        from the house. Meaning isolate the circuits
        your system will be floating on its own ground plain away from ground plain noise. And yes be careful as the devices now are ungrounded to your home and could course a shock if you come between it and a ground.
        For what it's worth my Msb has a feature where it lifts the ground on output. In doing so I rec a nasty shock and all was grounded properly at the time.
        analog stuff.
        new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
          Could it be earth ground related David? Ie drier during summer increasing earth potential? And i do beleive that this relates to the issue Al describes when digital starts to suffer, again ground or reactive current related?
          I think that it's ground and humidity related too but simply irrigating the ground rod aside from a monumental waste of water doesn't fix the problem. What's interesting is that in many ground rod manuals they recommend burying the rods several feet below ground to avoid frost which apparently also increases potential but sonically you can't beat the sound when it snows and freezes the ground!

In my case both digital and analog suffer during summer months but my answer to OP was more general that the effects he's describing IME can be mains related rather than equipment.

david

Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
            David it may not be correct but have you tried the following if only for a while to hear if it improves.
            Take your system power and isolate the ground completly
            from the house. Meaning isolate the circuits
            your system will be floating on its own ground plain away from ground plain noise. And yes be careful as the devices now are ungrounded to your home and could course a shock if you come between it and a ground.
            For what it's worth my Msb has a feature where it lifts the ground on output. In doing so I rec a nasty shock and all was grounded properly at the time.
            Al, the system's electrical plant is completely isolated from the house, I mentioned electricity to your OP because I've experienced the same effects caused by dirty, bad or whatever you want to call it mains not that I have those issues. Summer electricity is something else, it's a compression, noise, harshness, and loss of resolution. I hear it everywhere in summers including movie theaters and broadcast radio. Not everyone is sensitive to it or maybe they live with some of it year round so it's not as noticeable to them.

david

Comment

Wow. I cannot say I hear it by season alone. But there are changes that happen for sure.
              analog stuff.
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

Some systems are so finely tuned and to get this, the users ears are very sensitive! Al, the difficulty with digital when complex passages arise reduced substantially when the power supply I made (balanced) got installed, so I really think this is a reactive current issue inherent in digital systems. If you were in the UK I'd say lets try it in your system and see how it helps..

Comment

Thanks for the offer. My current setup plays both well.
                  But of course there is always room for improvement
                  analog stuff.
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                    Some systems are so finely tuned and to get this, the users ears are very sensitive! Al, the difficulty with digital when complex passages arise reduced substantially when the power supply I made (balanced) got installed, so I really think this is a reactive current issue inherent in digital systems. If you were in the UK I'd say lets try it in your system and see how it helps..
                    I have heard the term balanced psu. What does this mean
                    I know electronics well please explain what it means
                    min my sever I have four seperate regulated D.C. Supplies one for main board atx. One for audio USB and two for as drives one for music and one for OS. this as gives a very clean USB output.
                    analog stuff.
                    Dacs lampi various

Comment

This refers to the mains supply Al, not internal power supply sections in the gear. So UK supply is 240v/0v +earth, balanced output via transformers gives 2x120v which are 180 degrees out of phase, and the mid point (true 0v) connected to earth. Nothing new or groundbreaking of course but it does big things when you dedicate a transformer purely to digital, and supply the rest of the gear from suitably specced transformers.

Comment

So it's a center tap transformer with the neutral point grounded. Is your location delta and center of one section grounded ? With no neutral
                        analog stuff.
                        Dacs lampi various

Comment

Working...
                        X