Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is ok not care about audio quality

I watch a few video channels on DIRECTV
    paldium and 500 audio. When I do it's not on my main system meaning not two channel it's on my 7.1 surround setup. Why / is simple if I see them playing I must be surrounded by the music. While some well recorded stuff like MTV I do play on the towers the truth is I enjoy it more on the surround. I wish we had much more music videos maybe it's my condition that wants more stimuli then most
    right now I am watching red hot chilli peppers and emensenly more enjoying then starrring at my towers and having to imagine it all. Love how flea does his dancing and moves so fast on the bass guitar. He must be one of the fastsist bassist I ever seen live. Enegergy levels that seem Suoer human. I seen them live a few times up close. His hands shake when not playing wow he is intense. How do others feel about this topic. ?
    When I first setup my room I had the tv in the middle between the towers tondo this. But even though it's a 65 inch magnolia plasma at 18 feet it's not big enough and it messed with imaging.
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

Its ok as doesn't harm anyone or anything. I really enjoy my HT 5.1 system, 65" 4k, as I spend most of my time watching movies, concerts, car shows and enjoying my time with my wife and could careless about audio quality. Its hard to enjoy retirement at 65 stuck in a room by yourself listening to 2 chl music alone. There is more out there, you know outside that 2 chl room, and out side of those 4 main walls of your home. Take for instance, we jump in our classic 66 big block convertible vette and go cruising listening to FM radio, there is no audio quality but man is it fun. The audio quality is the sounds around you. Sorry to drift on the topic. But the wife and I are getting ready to go driving.
    Chris
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      ive heard artifacts on recordings in the car I never caught in my home system (subtle instrumental or vocal shadings/nuances). Its different when you're sitting inches from a speaker driver (car) vs the early reflections and smearing many of us deal with in an untreated home environment.
      i wish I were cruising a '66 vette drop top. the weather today is killer here too. we've got the bikes loaded for an excursion to the beach.

It is always OK
    I too love my 7.1 system while watching DVD and movies. I have a pair of fostex 8 " back loaded horns with super tweeters for the L R channels, my 7.1 amp is the 900 watt Yamaha RX 7 ( fantastic sound) I run the digital signals through a wyred 4 sound Dac for stereo ( the resulting analog is in another league) I have also installed my 300 B SET amp in the system with an a/b sw. so that when I watch a concert on TV , DVD or music channel I have 2 ch stereo, I was listening to meditation music channel last night through the SET and thought that this is the best sound that I ever heard ( not true except at the moment) We have all listened to the car fm and thought " how can this sound so good" Audio memory is so forgiving that is why it is OK

Don

Comment

I also use headphones , I have both diaphragm hd800 , planners he6 and stax 009. Each has there own musical perspective to give. Low level details is one ambience or air is not. Having said that a good surround sound has virtues no two channel or headphone has. What we hear does come from memory in some ways more then what we really hear live at times.
      analog stuff.
      new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
      Dacs lampi various

Comment

I listen to fm mono radio when I'm in the shower on a $50 radio and I enjoy it goddamn it.
        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Why not care? As audiophiles we should always care if the system might play music (except for maybe for JC's shower system). I have my big system listed below in a dedicated room.

In the family room where we watch TV I have a 4.1 surround system (no center) with Epos M5i speakers with HSU subwoofer and a Yamaha A-820 7.1 AV receiver - not great but not bad. When we aren't watching TV, I play the Comcast Blues Channel or my iPod through the system. I use the other two channels to play my iPOd (all music lossless recorded from CDs) through the outdoor patio/pool speakers. And for the gym and flying with my iPod, I use Shure SE530 two-way earbuds.

Even when I leased my new car a couple of years ago, I upgraded to the Harmon Kardon sound system but not $4K for the Levinson upgrade. Even caring has its limits.

Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

We audiophiles always care , now having said that the point was for me I prefer less with videos for live or music videos. When I was a teenager and would come home at night I had two small speakers and later koss headphones. And I did imagine the groups playing
            now that ausdio has evolved for me it's much more enjoyable to see them play and hear them. I guess the ultimate is on my main rig purely sound. But my 7.1 is much more involving with the music bein around me with video.
            analog stuff.
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

If we cared as much as people wish they did, they would be broke beyond their means, with a never ending virus on tweaking and replacing equipment.
              Chris
              ----------------------------------------------------------------
              Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

My home theater system and my 2 channel stereo system are in separate rooms in my house. They each have their own separate role to play, just not together.
                Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

I'm not too worried about fidelity when I'm listening to music in my helmet going down the road at 70mph on my motorcycle! But, other than that....

Comment

• cpp
                    cpp commented
                    Editing a comment
                    oh yes the wind in your face at 70 mph does wonders for awesome music.

BRUCE do you use iems under your helmet ? Or speakers
                  analog stuff.
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                    BRUCE do you use iems under your helmet ? Or speakers
                    I use a Sena 10u in my Shoei Neo-tec helmet.

Comment

Interesting. I don't listen to music when I ride my motorcycle, even though it has a built in blue tooth system. I do listen to music in my sedan, but not my sports car. I guess when I'm on the bike or in the sports car, I want to concentrate on the joy or riding or driving well, sorta like becoming one with the riding/driving experience. It can become a Zen like thing. I can see though, how listening to some particular music might actually be an aid for some people in acquiring that feeling.

Comment

Years ago I was stupid enough to own a very nice boat...a SeaRay 390 Express Cruiser. It had 500 gallon fuel tanks, an apartment sized kitchen, dual heat/AC units, genset, generous fresh water supply, etc. It had a sound system that was mid fi at best and I didn't care. I was too busy burning out blenders making frozen Midori Magaritas and floating around the Chesapeake Bay falling into the water drunk.

It was a total waste of money that gave me some of the best memories of my life. I will always miss owning a boat but during that time sound quality was not anywhere in my thinking. I was too busy enjoying the outdoors and listening to those sounds. There is no sound like the sound of quiet at dawn when you are anchored at the end of Tangiers sound. The south end of the sound, where the sound meets the 10-15ft flats. That water is so clear you can see uncounted numbers of fish darting around your boat. At the time of year I am remembering they were blue fish.

The only sound is the sound of the air moving quietly around you and the occasional bird. You can see the light dancing off the water as the sun peaks up over the Eastern shore. It is so beautiful and so close to god it cannot be described. No sound needs to be added.

Ed
                        Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
                        https://www.edsstuff.org

Analog: Walnut VPI Prime TT, HRX Pulley + 3 Belt Drive + ADS, Dual Pivot Assy, Tru Lift, HW-40 Feet
                        Analog 2: Ortofon Windfeld Ti + Bob's Devices VPI Sky 30 Stepup + Liberty Audio B2B-1, Stereo Squares Dust Cover, Wayne's Audio Peripheral Ring
                        Analog Care: VPI MW-1, Kirmuss KA-RC-1, Record Doctor V, Hunt EDA VI Brush, AQ Brush, Discwasher Record Care Kit
                        Digital: TASCAM UH-7000 USB Interface, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai Universal Disc Player, NAD C448 Internet Radio/Streamer
                        Digital 2: Digital Audio Workstation (Toshiba P75-A7200 w/MS Windows 10, 24GB RAM, 1.5 TB Crucial MX300 SSD Internal Storage, Intel i7-4700MQ Processor)

Amp: Rogue RP-9 Line Preamp, Schiit Loki Tone Ctrls, Parasound A21 Power Amp
                        Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, REL T9/i Subwoofer
                        Headphones: Stax SR L700 MkII + Woo Audio GES, Focal Clear + Schiit Lyr 2, Stax Lambda Pro + SRM1 Mk II
                        Wires: Kimber Hero ICs, Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables, AQ Leopard Phono IC, Pangea Silver USB Cables, StraightWire Expressivo ICs
                        Power: Furman Elite 15 PFi

Comment

• cpp
                          cpp commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well said, Ed

Very well said Ed,
                        however I don't believe that it was stupid.

I too am a boater and have been for my entire life. Except for me it is sailing, when you are in the groove of the track you are on and the energy is flowing through the sail equally down the mast to the keel and into the tiller through your hand, nothing can compare. When the sailing day is over and you are on the hook watching the sunset, the birds are singing and fish running from the bigger fish, the breeze across the top of the water( I am sure you know that feeling).

Then when the sun has gone down, the grill glowing and a cd playing, the music is just as sweet as it is in the reference room at home. It is a work of wonder how a sailing vessel has the same physics of the tonearm , it has a tall mast with a keel (rear stub) that has a ballast (counterweight) at the bottom to balance the rig for the moment of inertia and to stay within the groove. If the sails are trimmed perfectly you can let go of the tiller and she will track in the groove by herself. ( yes those are the correct sailing terms) just the same as when the tonearm is set up perfectly, a moment of inertia will not disturb the tracking and the stylus will stay in the center of the groove. They both make beautiful music

Comment

• EdAInWestOC
                          EdAInWestOC commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Amen....I have also been sailing and understand what you are saying.
                      Working...
                      X