Manufacturer Approved Trade In Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manufacturer Approved Trade In Programs

Are trade-in programs like Wilson Audio, Transparent Audio and Audio Research, etc. the wave of the future? As a sales enticer when components can't be upgraded say like some turntable models? Even dealers like Larry Marcus owner of Paragon S&S have adopted this model for some time now with success. Will programs like this help keep B&M stores keep alive? Would you go this route rather than Audiogon? It also seems to help the pieces of audio gear retain their value better because the manufacturer controls the used market better. And the next buyer knows the equipment works (and I assume there's sort of warranty?) rather than a crapshoot on audio? Nor do owners have to deal with Audiogon scams promulgated by PayPal rules.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Like in any type of trade, it all depends on how much the older gear is worth and if it can be sold at a better price than a manufacturer is willing to offer. I guess it depends on the gear, the age, how much its worth on trade and the price of the new gear. At the moment, AR has a great program offering on select gear @ 75%.
    Chris
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

I wish cable companies would do this. How many times have we all changed our system around or had to move and needing longer speaker cables or interconnects? Why could we trade them in for longer cables and pay the difference in length, etc? Not just for an upgrade for different length cables would be advantageous IMHO.

Comment

As Wilson has done it makes sense and the consumer feels reassured their 'big purchase' is an investment with significant residual value. it builds brand loyalty for manufactures and improves odds of keeping a customer throughout their audiophile life. I've shied from purchasing used speakers in particular because they're mechanical in nature and subject to wear and abuse that's difficult to detect until after the purchase when a month later a driver fails. offering certified pre-owned speakers with a factory warrantee is a great way to bring new customers into the fold and get existing owners to upgrade. win win?

Comment

I am all for it. For the most part, my Audiogon dealings have worked out pretty well. For the time and hassle factor, I would much prefer going the dealer or manufacturer route. It seems like Audiogon participants are on a race to the bottom in terms of pricing. For no hassle, I would prefer to be assured of a clean transaction. Willing to pay a little more for the piece of mind.
          CJ Gat, Lamm ML1.1, CJ Tea1 S3 phono, TW Acoustics Raven AC, Tri-Planer MK Vll SE, Vdh Crimson Stradivarius, Exemplar Modded 205(Tube Output & separate power supply), Rockport Avior ll Speakers, Shunyata Everest, Triton V3, Shunyata Sigma Power Cables, Sigma SC's & Python Zitron IC's. Audio Desk Pro LP Cleaner, Stillpoints & Stillpoints Aperture Panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
            I am all for it. For the most part, my Audiogon dealings have worked out pretty well. For the time and hassle factor, I would much prefer going the dealer or manufacturer route. It seems like Audiogon participants are on a race to the bottom in terms of pricing. For no hassle, I would prefer to be assured of a clean transaction. Willing to pay a little more for the piece of mind.
            Feel the same way.

Comment

I LOVE Transparent's trade in program. Usually about 60-70% of retail (depends how old the cable trading in is). It's allowed me to enter then progress upwards in their line. I think it helps the consumer, the dealer and the manufacturer. Some may say their prices are high...but their cables are also arguably amongst the very best.

I've had good success selling stuff on Audiogon over the years...but prefer the trade in path. Easier on me...
              Speakers: Rockport Lyra
              Amps: Nagra HD Pre Amp & HD Amps
              Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus Gen 6 cabling
              Power Transparent Opus Power Cords & Opus Isolators
              Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
              Phono: Grand Prix Monaco 2.0 TT, Kuzma 4-Point, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Nagra Classic Phono & PSU
              Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                As Wilson has done it makes sense and the consumer feels reassured their 'big purchase' is an investment with significant residual value. it builds brand loyalty for manufactures and improves odds of keeping a customer throughout their audiophile life. I've shied from purchasing used speakers in particular because they're mechanical in nature and subject to wear and abuse that's difficult to detect until after the purchase when a month later a driver fails. offering certified pre-owned speakers with a factory warrantee is a great way to bring new customers into the fold and get existing owners to upgrade. win win?
                IIRC Wilson dealers will setup the used speakers just as if they were a new speaker purchase.

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Is there anyone else besides,

Wilson Audio
                  ARC (limited time offer)
                  Transparent Audio

that offers this sort of trade in credit towards a new purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
                    Yes some of the unsolicited bid offers on Audiogon simply boggle the mind. Yes take something else while you're at it too for your inconvenience.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                      Are trade-in programs like Wilson Audio, Transparent Audio and Audio Research, etc. the wave of the future? As a sales enticer when components can't be upgraded say like some turntable models? Even dealers like Larry Marcus owner of Paragon S&S have adopted this model for some time now with success. Will programs like this help keep B&M stores keep alive? Would you go this route rather than Audiogon? It also seems to help the pieces of audio gear retain their value better because the manufacturer controls the used market better. And the next buyer knows the equipment works (and I assume there's sort of warranty?) rather than a crapshoot on audio? Nor do owners have to deal with Audiogon scams promulgated by PayPal rules.
                      Myles, Audiogon sells more high end audio product than the rest of the industry combined. It is not the enemy of brick and mortar. It is however, the arbiter of real values in the used market. Any trade in program that is not based on the real world value of the used product is more than likely a sales promotion, often short term. We can wish whatever value we like on used gear, but the market sets the bar.

Wilson's Certified Authentic Program insures that the Wilson owner upgrading will get more for his speakers than he will get on Audiogon toward his new Wilson purchase. The customer who buys his trade in, once Certified Authentic, will be treated just as a new Wilson buyer would be, with a Wilson factory warranty. This is not a temporary initiative to drive sales. This is a permanent part of who Wilson is.

We love Wilson owners, whether they are buying a new product today or are the 3rd generation owner of a pair of WATT3/Puppy2.

As I said in the ARC thread, the sooner more manufacturers offer real trade in programs (not short term sales initiatives or values not based in reality), the sooner we will be a much healthier industry

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                        Is there anyone else besides,

Wilson Audio
                        ARC (limited time offer)
                        Transparent Audio

that offers this sort of trade in credit towards a new purchase?
                        Myles, Transparent is the industry leader in this. They have been doing it from their beginning.

As much as I love ARC, that is a sales initiative. Hopefully it is the first step to something more permanent and truly market, not "deal" based.

Comment

Originally posted by jfrech View Post

I've had good success selling stuff on Audiogon over the years...but prefer the trade in path. Easier on me...
                          This is the definition of a true trade in program - real values, always available, ease.

Comment

Selling any component used on Audiogon or US AudioMart is painful. The bottom feeders looking for the lowest prices imaginable are always the first to respond to an ad and that's after they ask a dozen questions first. As a condo dweller the question of the original packing is always a potential problem because I have no place to store it. It would be great if the manufacturers permitted upfront return of such once you purchased a component and knew you were going to keep it. In that way they could offer top $ for trade in at a future date. I don't know if it's a practical idea but it might further insure a return customer.
                            Turntable: TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.
                            Digital: Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer
                            Amplification: PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp, VTL 6.5 preamp Series II, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp
                            Loudspeakers: Piega C711 Loudspeakers
                            Isolation: Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls
                            Misc: PS Audio Noise Harvesters, Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

We've had an update program for older equipment we made. We can update the older piece to the latest version and then the full warranty is reactivated. This policy has been in place for the last 20 years or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X