Ultimate system to dream of and have.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate system to dream of and have.

a simple question if we had unlimited funds what would we buy and how would it be setup ?

Please post all components and how would you arrive at the purchase.

For me it would mean a few things.

1- go to hear in person to at least ten ultimate setups in both analog and digital.
    My answer is I have three people in mind to help with this. One is my friend Norman , next Gary of genisis and Myles .

2- trust someone's judgement to point at what is great sound and what it is and what is needed to achieve it.
    My answer is Gary and Myles

3- both analog and digital is a must.
    Diigital would be msb select 2
    analog would have to be chosen for me since I have no clue again Myles and Gary . It would be both vinyl and tape

4- room built to spec for the purpose.
    Answer is Gary I truly trust his knowledge of what the room should be.

5- find people like Myles who has heard many ultra hi end systems and loves the music perhaps more than the system,
    this is again all three Norman , Myles and Gary.

6- Speakers without any hesitation G1.2

7 Amps not sure , a few would have to be heard first to choose again suggestions from trusted audio people

8- preamp not tubed unless someone points to why it's needed. The preamp if needed would not be the phono or tape preamps

9- people to guide to the best in analog in both formats . Myles and Gary.

I may no claim to feeling I don't know what I like as I do. But this type of purchase would have to be designed as such would to be configured by ultimate personnel . The nAmes I have chosen are the ones I know and I am sure others have many other choices. I really want to see how high we would fly if we could.
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

without a purpose built and treated room, any attempt at the ultimate system would be throwing money away. to paraphrase James Carville "it's the room, stupid". beyond that asking what system id want to hear for the rest of my life is like saying I could only play one record forever or drive one car or drink the same wine everyday and that's just not me. I think I'd completely overhaul my system often the same way women periodically remodel their homes. If a gun was put to my head, I'd choose a 'big' sound that would most likely involve horns. I prefer tubes over SS so that decision is easy. same with sources: vinyl and tape.

Comment

Like a baby grand piano, perhaps a small hall and orchestra of my own.

Comment

• Bill Hart
        Bill Hart commented
        Editing a comment
        Dream big. Go concert size, Steinway, Bosendorfer or the like. You can hear the difference.
        You know, the old robber barons had orchestrions- these huge wooden wall long cabinets in rooms with 12 ft ceilings that mechanically played virtually every instrument in the orchestra. By a Rube Goldberg assemblage of actual instruments (truncated to fit into the cabinet in some cases), driven pneumatically by air pipes and mechanical arms--since these pre-date electricity, I suppose a serf pumped the bellows with foot pedals, like an old pump organ, though i guess any means of generating locomotion-- windmill, horse powered mill, dam with water and hydro power-- would work. As I recall, these ran from rolls, like a more complicated player or reproducing piano roll. Much less work, and you don't have to sweep up.

Even if I had the means I wouldn't have an ultimate system. It would be wasted on me for several reasons. Let me give you a hypothetical.

I won a lottery. I'd buy a condo, not a house, so designing a room around a system is out of the question. I would hire an expert to make the most out of the space and gear I acquired, but that would be the extent of it. Next, I'm not a gearhead. And while I can appreciate owning equipment that could be considered some of the best available, I'm not willing to pay extra dollars to get that last percentage towards that ultimate sound. I'd keep system costs at a reasonable level. I seriously doubt I would invest into the six figures.

I do know I'd want a complete change. Something different, you know. Where that would lead me to is an unknown, but it would be a fun journey to discover.

EDIT (add-on): If we're talking that kind of money I would definitely set aside 10G's for vinyl.
      Last edited by Johnny Vinyl; 07-02-2017, 01:26 PM.
      Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

For me this is simple. A full Gryphon system with the KODO loudspeakers....I just can't imagine anything any better....I'll keep my VPI Reference HRX turntable and add every LP that Acoustic Sounds has remastered to my collection...Oh and I would probably buy a few new phono cartridges to play with as well....While we are dreaming, I suppose I would also add a Top End RTR and buy all the tapes available to play on it...
        Primary 2 channel stuff: Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass Labs X600.5 amps, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, Dunlavy SC4s, VPI HRX Reference w Avenger mag drive and Reference footers, Gimbal Fatboy, Yamaha GT2000 for Mono, Miyajima Kansui, Miyajima ZERO, Fidelity Research MC-201 & 202, VPI ADS, Vendetta Research SCP-1, Audio Note UK- 3.1X II balanced DAC, Meridian Sooloos, Western Electric Speaker wire, mostly diy balanced interconnects, Furutech Power Cords

Comment

• JCOConnell
          JCOConnell commented
          Editing a comment
          where would you put all that stuff?

• Letsmakeadeal
          Letsmakeadeal commented
          Editing a comment
          While I could make it work in my existing room, I would probably just build a new house to put it all in. Again, we are dreaming here, correct?

I love my current system. Really! Before I would go to great lengths to swap out gear, being a condo dweller, I would choose a dedicated room to improve sound. Then I would choose from the best room tuning devices out there. Dream on.
        Turntable: TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Digital: Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

Amplification: PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp, VTL 6.5 preamp Series II, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Loudspeakers: Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Isolation: Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Misc: PS Audio Noise Harvesters, Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

Working...
        X