"reviewing is easy, I don't know anything that you don't know"

"You're just as good at this as I am"

by Art Dudley of Sterophile
    https://youtu.be/M0zwPWJdUXw

What's the executive summary, Rob?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
      He's a genuinely nice guy with vintage tastes!

david
      Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
      Distribution: NEODIO

Special Sales: van den Hul
      Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
      http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
      http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

Love his sense of humour ---- reminds me of him dispensing bunnies to rude and despondent subscriber letters in his old Listener days..
        Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
        Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
        Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
        Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
        Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair
        Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          I loved Listener magazine. besides TAS (from the beginning to the period just before the takeover) Listener was the best little audio magazine that ever was. I think Art's best writing appeared within those pages as well.

• kcin
          kcin commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll have to agree on Listener & Dudley - loved that mag- I have my full subscription packed away somewhere. The only thing that was more entertaining was early TAS. I was a little too young to really take part in most of the high end as recommended back then but reading through the earliest issues was great. Today's TAS is much different and not anywhere near as interesting and entertaining.

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
        that he's iconoclastic and his own person not influenced by the latest and greatest - whatever that may be. "trust your judgement" is a direct quote form his short jeremiad and not being influenced by others in the pursuit of your own audio journey.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post

that he's iconoclastic and his own person not influenced by the latest and greatest - whatever that may be. "trust your judgement" is a direct quote form his short jeremiad and not being influenced by others in the pursuit of your own audio journey.
          Right on!

Comment

If you don't trust your judgment, you will never get off the latest and greatest audio equipment circular treadmill ($$$ permitting) wasting valuable time, money and effort rather than listening to great music on a mature, well optimized/sorted system. I'm not sure why I keep getting the audio magazines just to quickly flip through them occasionally finding interesting articles and reviews. For me, it's all about the music now. Of course I am not saying I won't buy equipment in the future as the need dictates.
            Christian
            System Gear

Comment

I just got around to watching that video tonight. Funny guy. Definitely old school. But he knows his way around a tt and phono EQ curves though. I don't think Art would like my S5 Mk2's due to their flat frequency response, uncolored sound, but especially their efficiency. The S5 Mk2's would beat his amps up worse than Ali vs Norton . I've got to send him my Jorma Statement sc's some day to compare to his Auditorium 23's .

Comment

I found myself wondering why he made the video. The calculated populism behind this sort of Mick Jagger School of Art Criticism as performed by Garrison Keillor never was appealing to me. Dudley is a very talented writer and clever DIYer and most people are not and I suspect he understands that. Kinda meh as a reviewer. Still, he's another character in the great pantheon of the Audio Circus and while our numbers may be small, we have a very big tent.

Comment

My feelings pretty much agree with tima's. I enjoyed Listener much more than his Stereophile column but that may be more a reflection on me than Art. He's definitely a talented DIY'er, but like many people with good practical engineering skills his knowledge of the basic science underlying that engineering is often sketchy. As also noted previously, I suspect my sonic priorities are a little different than his, but I would likely enjoy listening to his systems.
                  Tascam BR-20
                  Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head and custom repro amp
                  Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS
                  Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS
                  MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out)
                  Pass Labs INT60
                  Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
                  REL S3 (Kimber Kable connection)
                  Daedalus/Wywires, Audioquest, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio cables
                  Core Power Equi=Power 1800 Mk3
                  Adona rack; Stillpoints and IsoPods, Tube Traps, GIK

Comment

Originally posted by tima View Post

I found myself wondering why he made the video. The calculated populism behind this sort of Mick Jagger School of Art Criticism as performed by Garrison Keillor never was appealing to me. Dudley is a very talented writer and clever DIYer and most people are not and I suspect he understands that. Kinda meh as a reviewer. Still, he's another character in the great pantheon of the Audio Circus and while our numbers may be small, we have a very big tent.
                    I like him to the extent I've read his enthusiastic pieces about old gear, had a brief chat with him at a show and he was pleasant and funny and that's pretty much it. I asked for the summary above b/c I just don't have the patience to watch long "information" videos. (I have less of a problem reading long articles, b/c I can skim).

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ditto, the movement toward info-video and away from text is about as popular to me as the movement from a text based interface to a graphical interface was for computer programmers. Let me use the keyboard - you know letters and numbers - don't make me drive a screen.

Originally posted by tima View Post

Art's popularity is unsurprising because he's actually more anti-establishment than a populist who aims his sights for the lowest common denominator of audiophile (AKA Newbie). I really don't see him as a traditional reviewer per se just like Kessler, Sam Tellig, Corey Greenberg, et al who all had a following for their entertainment value. I read Fremer for same reasons (entertaining) but his attempt at technical discussions nevermind his cartridge set-up seminars at audio shows are woefully unpolished. besides, he talks to himself in public situations (weird) maybe he hears voices in head

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I never thought of him directing remarks to newbies. In this case, it's the populism of "aw shucks you're no different than me - anybody can do this - let me get down from my lawn tractor and show you my plinths, here have a strawberry." Never thougt of newbies doing Shindo or making turntable jigs. Of course I'll get in line likewise to say "trust your judgement" but I'll also say "do your homework" and pay attention to what certain others think - vets on this board and elsewhere (yrself included) can help point you in directions of which your internal compass was unaware. The trick is knowing who to listen to. :-) I agree AD can be entertaining. Columns tend to be much more free form than formal reviews.

Strong advice never to talk with MF about politics of which he loves to speak - unless you enjoy extreme potty mouths. He has kept his new web site pretty much free of it, but the early one...

• Rob
                      Rob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      the vid looked like something Herb (Reichert) put him up to. It appears ab libbed and the intent tongue in cheek. I met Art in his younger years when he wore his hair longer, he didn't tow the party line then. If Listener had legs he'd probably still be publishing it, Stereophile is actually an odd fit except that JA recruits whoever will broaden readership. Id say, if you're new to this game Arts column isn't the best place to start one's journey.

• MylesBAstor
                      MylesBAstor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Interestingly, one thing that hurt Listener was its digest size. At that time in newsstand sales, everyone wanted an 81/2 x 11 format style magazine. So all the digest size magazine got moved to the back of the newsstand where they got buried. Many criticized TAS for changing format size but that's the reason they did it. Trying to keep up with the times.

With so much equipment both old and new it must be a tough job to do reviews.
                    They must find good or even some above Avg in any product they review. I think any good reviewer turns down some products they feel have little of the above.
                    Having heard many ultra HighEndAudio setups it's obvious to me we have many windows into great sound.
                    So with so much variation what does a reviewer do ???
                    a tough job overall as some kick them around for there reviews.
                    One type of review I would love to read about is older equipment
                    amps
                    tt
                    cart
                    phono pre
                    pre amps
                    and of course speakers.
                    Since the above category is past stuff pure objection could be said. This equipment is no longer being made allows for a more detailed good and bad in depth.
                    I have read many reviews on my IRS v setup and a few other models one being the Beta s. The man was honest how poor the quality of the speakers in that each channel
                    did not sound the same. He was of course right as arnie owner and designer scrambled to get him a few pairs there to make a matching pair. I wonder how many stil own or bought such a poorly matched pair of speakers.
                    While at lyric in NYC I heard them and few others made by infinity. While they had a wonder mid range I did moron even the tonal imbalance and clipping of the protection circuit of them. While they had a new larger mid driver they still had the same flaw that the rs1b. One mid driver that handled too much of the spectrum.
                    The point made here is to ask reviewers to do some older
                    stuff now. I know typically stuff is given to the reviewer and this would not work of devices are old.
                    Having said this consider the draw of a reviewer went to people's places and reviewed there setups.
                    Many reading this with less then brand new stuff would
                    love reading it. As a caveat a broad stroke to new could be drawn so new devices could be brought into this as well.
                    Last words. I read a review of my IRS v once. The man seemed nice and smart but one Comment always stuck in my head. He stated that if you turned off the bass towers the mids and tweeters sounded metallic.
                    Funny the mids are a type of polimer with alum etching on them to move them against the magnets
                    I Never understood or heard the comment.
                    I hope some one reading this can put something like this together.
                    analog stuff.
                    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                    Dacs lampi various

Comment

by Art Dudley of Sterophile
                      https://youtu.be/M0zwPWJdUXw
                      Or you are a brilliant reviewer if you agree with what I own; conversely, you are a moron and on the take if you don't like what I own.

That's why letters to the editor or manufacturers comments sometimes are just superfluous today.
                      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Art and I have been friends for a long, long time dating back to when he worked for Edison Price. Then a short stay at TAS as the Equipment Editor and so on.

We don't always agree but certainly Art brings a different point of view and a wry sense of humor to the table and that's important. So did Listener. Plus Art is a good writer, a rarity in the audio business. The '90s were an interesting time with a number of small magazines vying to make it in the world of high-end audio. Fi. Listener. Tracking Angle. Ultimate Audio. Bound for Sound (really a newsletter). Positive-Feedback (now morphed into online magazine). audioMusings (merged with Positive-Feedback). None unfortunately made it. Publishing is a tough business and take a lot of money to keep viable. Not a cheap endeavor. When I did my magazine, each issue probably cost around $55K. (and I didn't take a salary.)

Oh yes, there was also another side to Art that many didn't know about. Art held the best summer parties of anyone. He invited all the characters in the industry to his home for barbecue including such luminaries as Harvey Rosenberg, George Kaye and writers from his and other magazines. A good time was had by all! In fact, was up at his new home in Cherry Valley two years ago for Art's 60th Birthday party. Lovely place and that picture doesn't do the property justice. Oh and Cherry Valley (known for its revolutionary war history) is only 15 minutes from Cooperstown, NY and the site of the major league baseball hall of fame. So being a baseball fanatic and never having been there before, Heidi and I stayed overnight and visited the MLBHOF. It's something that every baseball fan should do once in their life. Great museum and its interactivity makes it wonderful for young kids too! So much history there!

One does wonder how much longer John Atkinson will stay on at EIC at Stereophile and if Art will eventually take over?
                        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                        -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                        -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Working...
                        X