No announcement yet.

The importance of looks in our rooms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spend many hours a week listening in my room. It's clean and organized, sound is very good but not beautiful to look at. Looks don't really matter.
    SOURCE: Vinyl - Avid Sequel SP w/SME V, Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, or Avid Volvere, Benz LPS-mr. Digital - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/dac. PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2. PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2. AMPLIFIER: Audionet AMP monoblocks. SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures w/ YG binding post upgrade. CABLES: Audioquest and Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post

I have to ask this question and in no way am I being synical jealous or an asshoke In general.
      What do you do in your room for that many hours.
      Do you mean you sit and just listen ?
      Is there a work desk like mine behind my seats ?
      Experimentig on cancer cures this I would like info on.
      Do do excersize in there ?
      lastly crack lol. That might account for the fixation of being in the room hahahahha.
      While I am curious plesse know it's just a question and no meaning in a harmful way. Your always a kind person in replies and I want to be the same.
      Al, no worries and I've been asked that before. obviously I've made a large commitment to the hobby, so I would never have done that unless it was a big part of my life....and it is. my job is 6 days a week (half days on Saturday), so part of the equation is that I don't have time for a boat or summer home, and not even time for traveling much (I do travel for work 8-9 times a year too). so having a hobby I can do at home every day and relieving the work stress is important.

all that said; my wife (of 43 years) sleeps in in the morning. and I'm a morning person, so I get up early, typically around 5 am, and listen for 2 hours in the mornings. then at night after dinner with my wife, after I'm in my room 2-3-4-5 hours of listening (sometimes I can't stop). I don't watch TV other than sports. so that's 4-5 hours average a day Monday-Friday. then weekends I'm again up early listening for easily 5 hours each morning, then 'depending on what my wife has going' maybe another 4-5 hours later in the day or evening of the weekend days. so 30-35 hours.

when I'm in my room I do have some barbells as far as exercise, but only for my arms. I do have my laptop for multi-tasking and posting while listening, which is about 60% of the time......occasionally I will have sports playing on the laptop but not often. I read a lot while listening (average about 4 books a month, as high as 6 books a month). a good book + music is about as good as it gets. I am on call with the company I manage and they can and do call me regularly so that can interrupt things. those are not typically long interruptions but important.

upstairs in my barn (downstairs is the 2 channel room) I do have good exercise gear, and my football watching space, + a pool table, and photo processing desk and calibrated monitor. during football season there is less listening, but other seasons more listening. I do have large Home Theatre in the house which I used to watch movies on a regular basis but these past few years I might have watched a movie once a quarter.

I don't really go out to dinner or anything that involves crowds or waiting in a line. when I was younger did plenty of that and 'now' prefer the whole 'hermit' living in the mountains on acreage thing. I get all the human interaction I need with 6 days a week at work and 150 employees (the exceptions being other music lovers visiting). when I was younger I had the resiliency to do both but not anymore at almost 66 years old. that's the only thing that tells me I'm getting old (besides my kids getting older).

if I had grandkids my time allocation would be different, and I wish that was the case. so that's too bad but I make the best of it.

Comment

The whole gestalt of the space is very important to me, as I enjoy a well appointed space visually—it comforts me. From music I also derive a great deal of comfort and joy. Then there is the whole wife acceptance factor... I like spending time with my wife and she enjoys listening to music, just not as much as me. But she has been spending more time now the remodel is complete as she also enjoys the visual setting and vastly improved acoustics. She won't let on, but she has pretty keen hearing and notices changes that accompany new pieces in the rig. (She just read that part over my shoulder and says she does let on, but prefers not too 'cause she knows it'll cost us.)

Then there is the entertaining component. My wife frequently engages with owners of large businesses and we have them by for dinner and wine on a somewhat frequent basis. Most are not audiophiles and have not heard a great system, but most remember music being important to them at some point of their lives. First, my wife feels much better the music room is now more visually appealing than the "man cave" that was there before; so she feels better when I invite our guests down for "just a couple of songs." And myself, I really enjoy watching the slight smile cross their faces when they hear something somewhat familiar "but never like this!"

Then, depending on how the evening is getting on, and how many trips I make into the wine cellar, it can turn into a very fun evening. Occasionally dancing is involved! Sure, we could have as much fun (no offense Mike L.) in a barn, but my wife feels better we have a stylish room.
        Benz LPS, AMG v12 turntable, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (balanced, dual mono version), Audio Research DAC8, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref75 amp, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal, Ref MM2 speaker cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda, Cobra power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3, Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Comment

Some really great replies. Love it. My Issue is I never had pride of ownership period I don't know why. I don't care to show off anything I ever owned to anyone
          my home down south is nice if I am asked. My wife hates when I say that it's acually very nice.
          Even with my wife living in queens HOWARD beach Ina big house
          the pool the den a big dish on the roof. If I was asked where I lived I said queens of pressed I said Woodhaven.
          Only if they new did I say old or new side. Part of me wants to finish the room. It would not take much to do so.
          But it's just not in me to care. My audio rack a 100 pc of shit that I had to comxpletly reinforce to hold up the stuff.
          my setup sound wise is very good for me and I'll bet anyone who does here will say the same.

I owned many hi end cars over my lifetime.
          I was the guy driving a dirty lambo lol.
          I posted the question to read replies. We all do not think alike. Amd Myles where have you been in this.
          Your setup is world class in sound and has very expansive
          furniture to hold your stuff. Having said that your kind of in the middle here too.
          Thanks all

Comment

My room will never be on the cover of AD!

Luckily it's just Heidi, me and three kitties. Though we do occasionally have that discussion why we can't have pictures with glass on the living rooms walls. She hates not having pics on the wall.
            Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
            Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post

Myles has a PHD and he is an audiophile so possibly this would be a side career for him.
              Well Heidi is the shrink in the family. I'll suggest it to her!

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                Some really great replies. Love it. My Issue is I never had pride of ownership period I don't know why. I don't care to show off anything I ever owned to anyone
                my home down south is nice if I am asked. My wife hates when I say that it's acually very nice.
                Even with my wife living in queens HOWARD beach Ina big house
                the pool the den a big dish on the roof. If I was asked where I lived I said queens of pressed I said Woodhaven.
                Only if they new did I say old or new side. Part of me wants to finish the room. It would not take much to do so.
                But it's just not in me to care. My audio rack a 100 pc of shit that I had to comxpletly reinforce to hold up the stuff.
                my setup sound wise is very good for me and I'll bet anyone who does here will say the same.

I owned many hi end cars over my lifetime.
                I was the guy driving a dirty lambo lol.
                I posted the question to read replies. We all do not think alike. Amd Myles where have you been in this.
                Your setup is world class in sound and has very expansive
                furniture to hold your stuff. Having said that your kind of in the middle here too.
                Thanks all
                I wonder if I knew you from that era- I did Lambo late in the game, 6.0 Diablo. I almost bought a periscopa Contach from Al Burtoni back in the day, but I was smitten with those other little red cars from the other side of Modena.
                Do what makes you happy. That's all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Lavigne View Post

Al, no worries and I've been asked that before. obviously I've made a large commitment to the hobby, so I would never have done that unless it was a big part of my life....and it is. my job is 6 days a week (half days on Saturday), so part of the equation is that I don't have time for a boat or summer home, and not even time for traveling much (I do travel for work 8-9 times a year too). so having a hobby I can do at home every day and relieving the work stress is important.

all that said; my wife (of 43 years) sleeps in in the morning. and I'm a morning person, so I get up early, typically around 5 am, and listen for 2 hours in the mornings. then at night after dinner with my wife, after I'm in my room 2-3-4-5 hours of listening (sometimes I can't stop). I don't watch TV other than sports. so that's 4-5 hours average a day Monday-Friday. then weekends I'm again up early listening for easily 5 hours each morning, then 'depending on what my wife has going' maybe another 4-5 hours later in the day or evening of the weekend days. so 30-35 hours.

when I'm in my room I do have some barbells as far as exercise, but only for my arms. I do have my laptop for multi-tasking and posting while listening, which is about 60% of the time......occasionally I will have sports playing on the laptop but not often. I read a lot while listening (average about 4 books a month, as high as 6 books a month). a good book + music is about as good as it gets. I am on call with the company I manage and they can and do call me regularly so that can interrupt things. those are not typically long interruptions but important.

upstairs in my barn (downstairs is the 2 channel room) I do have good exercise gear, and my football watching space, + a pool table, and photo processing desk and calibrated monitor. during football season there is less listening, but other seasons more listening. I do have large Home Theatre in the house which I used to watch movies on a regular basis but these past few years I might have watched a movie once a quarter.

I don't really go out to dinner or anything that involves crowds or waiting in a line. when I was younger did plenty of that and 'now' prefer the whole 'hermit' living in the mountains on acreage thing. I get all the human interaction I need with 6 days a week at work and 150 employees (the exceptions being other music lovers visiting). when I was younger I had the resiliency to do both but not anymore at almost 66 years old. that's the only thing that tells me I'm getting old (besides my kids getting older).

if I had grandkids my time allocation would be different, and I wish that was the case. so that's too bad but I make the best of it.
                  But sometimes, you put the computer or the book down, the music is just so stunning. I almost feel like I'm not really listening when i'm using the laptop in the room, but I do. Sometimes, for record or music research while I'm listening to something, so that's one of my justifications. But, your experience underscores the importance of music in life. Your lifestyle centers around it- it doesn't mean you don't socialize, or read or do other things, but the room and the music are the fulcrum.

Comment

When I retired I moved most of the stuff from my secondary work residence to my primary residence. The only rooms that aren't stuffed to the ceilings are the kitchen, bathrooms, master bedroom and living/music room. It's a mess as I gradually sort through to donate or dump.

The music room has the system, three chairs and a couple of torchiers. It won't make the pages of Better Homes and Gardens but one chair and an ottoman sits right in the sweet spot with an end table for remotes and scotch. It's fine because I don't watch music, I listen to music. Sometimes if the mood strikes I'll light a couple of candles and maybe a little incense, shades of the 60s which I should have misspent more than I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post

I wonder if I knew you from that era- I did Lambo late in the game, 6.0 Diablo. I almost bought a periscopa Contach from Al Burtoni back in the day, but I was smitten with those other little red cars from the other side of Modena.
                      Do what makes you happy. That's all that matters.
                      Mine was a white GALARZA hope I spelled it right lol
                      conv I only have one pic of me in the car.
                      Abkit gwice a year I used rent some kind of crazy car for a week. Just to see what I am missing.
                      The last one was a yellow mazarrati.
                      Mid engine meaning engine right behind you
                      glass and vents in the back seat. Looks wow every where you go
                      sound very nice if your not in the car. In an hour or too you have fatigue from the sound.
                      Fast , quick handling paddles on the wheel
                      glad when it went back.
                      From a pure enjoyment point of view nice for a few hours
                      many years ago I use to race modified division up in middle town ny. A Clay track about 1/2 mile around
                      now that was great times. Going about 115 on the straight path with 15 cars was fun. Hydraulic suspension controlled by your knees lol. 5 to 7 rear end ratio no need to change gears. No pride except for winning and making it through the entire race.

Comment

Looks are only important to the user, regardless of what it is. Of course in the main part of the house the wifey has her say. Happy wife , happy life as it seems to be working 34 years strong and still moving ahead one small audio change at a time, but she's not liking the big look of Maggies for some reason
                        Chris
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------
                        Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5 or W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e22Mkll, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se, HD800, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow, Kimber cables

Comment

Originally posted by cpp View Post
                          Looks are only important to the user, regardless of what it is...
                          As Mike L. said, what is important is that our listening rooms look as we want them to. There is no point in having a listening room if one can't feel comfortable in it.

Comment

• cpp
                            cpp commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Got that right.

I, unfortunately have my system down in the basement. Downsides include....no natural light; threat of water damage should the basement flood or the sump pump fail; low ceiling; all lps, cd's and components are crammed in. Advantages....no windows-no glass; space exhibits nearly no reflection, so little room interaction; due to the isolation, I am able to rock out as loud as my amps will allow; all lps/cd's well organized and easily located.
                          My wife, my kids, most friends have no interest in coming down. I believe it lacks a welcoming feel. Maybe too claustrophobic. Those who come to jam tunes often stay for hours. Some appreciate the eclectic wall-coverings and chatskes strewn throughout.
                          With the never-ending vinyl purchases, I am pressured to better utilize the wall space; therefore, offering an opportunity to improve the aesthetics.
                          Avalon Time, Walker Proscenium, Koetsu Coralstone, Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Goldfinger Statement, Dalby record weight, Kondo KSL-SFz step-up, Jadis JP80-MC...heavily modified, Convergent Audio JL-2 Black Path, Sony NS999 ES Modwright modded, full loom High Fidelity Ultimate cables, Rel S-5 sub, Stillpoints ultra and 5's, Shun Mook, Dalby footers, Critical Mass bases, Acoustic System Resonators, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Telefunkens throughout, assorted fuses, Furutech outlets, PurePower conditioner.

Comment

Like some other members, my listening room is also my living/dining room, so I don't have a lot of options as far as speaker placement and room treatments are concerned. That's not to say I have no options. Just not many.

Given that my system is in my living/dining room, the look of my system including obvious things like the speakers and racks do matter. That's why I shelled out the extra $4750 for the premium M-coat automotive paint finish on my S5 Mk2's. I'm also giving careful consideration to the next racks I buy. But fundamentally all the gear I buy is based on the kind of sound i'm trying to achieve.

I know many audiophiles rank room treatments as top, or nearly top priority. However for practical reasons as mentioned above, room treatments are at the bottom of list of priorities, but they're in there. But somehow fortunately my room as is with a rug, soft furnishings, wooden venetian blinds & open, hard wood stairs sounds basically good, with no boominess or nasty room nodes. Based on my research, down the track i'll probably add a full suite of Franck Tchang's Acoustic Resonators + two RW Acoustics art panels for my back wall. I think that's an acceptable compromise. Here is a pic of my room..

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=58970&d=1499799737.jpg Views:	1 Size:	139.7 KB ID:	59663
                            Front End: Vitus SCD-025 Mk2, Oppo BPD-103 Amp: Vitus SIA-025 Speakers: Magico S5 Mk2 Isolation: Taoc ASR series racks, Taoc SCB-RS-HC50G, Stillpoints Ultra 6's + Bases/Mini's/LPI's AC Power: Furutech GTX-D(G), Gigawatt PC-3 SE Evo, Jorma Prime pc's (re-terminated with cryo'd Oyaide M1/F1’s), Jorma Unity pc (re-terminated with Oyaide P-004/C-004’s) Cables: Jorma Prime xlr's + Statement sc's, Siltech Classic Anniversary rca's + HDMI Tweaks: Acoustic Revive (various), Akiko E-tuning Gold MkII

Comment

• Bill Hart
                              Bill Hart commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I see an Acoustic Revive up in the left corner. I have mixed experience with it; it was very noticeable to me in my old room; not so much here, but I should play with positioning a little more. At one point, it sounded like it was pacifying the sound a bit, less aggressive, but less visceral.
                              I like what you did, do you use the Magicos for TV? Your design/layout almost invites a low to the ground line of the components, would add to the clean, almost Japanese vibe of that platform underneath the stairs.

• 1morerecord2clean
                              1morerecord2clean commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Bill I use the AR 888. Is yours this model? In my system it makes the leading edge rounder and more realistic. Also more depth of field. I have now used it in two residences with equal effectiveness. I have used the system with and without over and over and in the end it does enough right that I accept for what it does.

Originally posted by rbbert View Post

As Mike L. said, what is important is that our listening rooms look as we want them to. There is no point in having a listening room if one can't feel comfortable in it.
                            Does everyone have a frequently played shelf for their CDs/LPs/tapes that is separate from the rest of their music collection?

I have--and it's grown from two--three cubbyholes for LPs and three for tapes. Makes grabbing those reference recordings and/or the albums use frequently for review much easier. Not necessarily organized but small enough that can find that LP easily. Tape no problem since they are wider and have a nice Brother 1/2-inch adhesive sticker fixed to the spine of each tape box. Another negative for CDs. Spines are so thin who can read what's on the side without the Hubble telescope?

Comment

Working...
                            X