Mono Vinyl: Mono Cart vs Mono Preamp button

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks.
    i am mostly curious about the section below on that link regarding the negative impact of using a y connector/interconnect.

Comment

• JCOConnell
      JCOConnell commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the impact would depend where you put the "Y" in the system, but I don't know the various impacts.

I was really surprised how good the Audio-Technica AT-MONO3/LP was for $125. I preferred it to the 1K stereo cartridge with the mono button.

Comment

Originally posted by Tunes View Post
      Anyone using a Y connector method for their mono setup heard about this theory? Scroll down..
      https://www.aurealisaudio.com.au/stereo-to-mono-mixie/
      I'm curious whether this is total BS or whether it has any merit.
      thoughts?
      chris
      Who would ever use a Y cable for both signals? They are different voltages at different points of contact with the groove,disk, tape head etc.( distortion would be paramount ) you should only use a Y cable to split one channel into two,( the reverse of what that article indicates ) as with a Denon dl 102 cart that only has pins for one channel. If you do that with a stereo record the signal on one channel will be lost .
      All mono switches use two resistors to sum the voltage difference in L+R signals. That box is two resistors and a double pole switch with 4 rca contacts. You can buy a mono pcb with the two resistors and an elco switch from John Broskie @ glassware audio for about $10.00 and install it in the signal path at any point, prior to the amplifiers,however this is not true mono, it is simply a summed signal. It really has no value on a stereo cart.

Comment

Analog21, This is a good read some years back on some of your mono questions, with a note on the end from Stan Ricker - https://www.dagogo.com/denon-dl102-cartridge-review/

Comment

So I guess my Lyra Olympos Mono SL has some degree of vertical compliance ?
          Christian
          System Gear

Comment

• Spla'nin
            Spla'nin commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe Jonathan Carr or Yoshinori Mishima would comment .... I can't imagine that it is anything but a pure mono / horizontal output and NOT a summed two channel output at the cart. Vertical compliance / movement resulting in a signal that would be generated by the vertical coil would only be a problem in a summed STEREO arrangement. Full disclosure: I did NOT sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

Haven't been following the thread, but by coincidence I put on my Miyajima Zero on the TT this evening and played two great mono albums, both of whose stereo versions are on the TAS Superdisc list. They are both great and in the case of one out classes the stereo. The two are Farewell Angelina by Joan Baez and Espana by Ataufo Argenta. I bought both records for a buck each. The Baez was a mistake - I didn't look carefully and thought it was the stereo version. Anyway, through the Zero, Baez's voice has great body and there is real depth to the record. If you are not careful, you will think it is stereo. IMHO it is better than the stereo version, at least through the Zero. The Espana is another fine record (I have the London mono LL1682, not the Decca). I bought it because my friend Decca Engineer John Dunkerley told me that Wilkie engineered the recording (only the mono version) and he chose different takes for the mono version than Gordon Parry did for the stereo version. So if you have the famous stereo version, also get the mono (probably for a buck) - it's a different record. The sonics are outstanding, though not quite at the level of the extremely pricey stereo version (which I also have in an ED1 first pressing).

The Miyajima Zero replaced my old Lyra Helikon mono, which also quite fine, but nothing like the incredible Zero - with its big, bold meaty sound. I just connect the Zero to my stereo phono pre - true mono comes out.

Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mch NADAC, Emotion, HQPlayer, Oppo95
          Electronics-Herron VTSP3APre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-ArtKelmGroundOne IsoTrans,AudioDiskeSystemVinylClea ner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects, Power Supply
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• timztunz
            timztunz commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m constantly surprised at what that Zero digs out of those grooves! I love mine.

• Spla'nin
            Spla'nin commented
            Editing a comment
            Astro & timz, i was looking at the cart specs and was wondering do have a dedicated arm for your Zero & also what tracking weight & loading has worked best for you with that arm? Thanks

https://www.bobsdevices.com/Miyajima...Cartridge.html

• Letsmakeadeal
            Letsmakeadeal commented
            Editing a comment
            It is an amazing experience...Mono playback with the ZERO reminds me of how I always felt about eating Sushi...I said never never never until a friend talked me into it one day when I was weak. I soon thereafter became addicted to it!

I have a separate arm wand for the Zero. Having a VPI arm makes it a snap to change between cartridges. It does track heavy. 3.5g. My set up man, Stirilng Trayle, did all the adjustments, including determining the best tracking weight. Right now I just use 47K loading. Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mch NADAC, Emotion, HQPlayer, Oppo95
          Electronics-Herron VTSP3APre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-ArtKelmGroundOne IsoTrans,AudioDiskeSystemVinylClea ner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects, Power Supply
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• Letsmakeadeal
            Letsmakeadeal commented
            Editing a comment
            I run mine at 1K load as recommended by Robin Wyatt of Robyatt Audio (USA importer)
        Working...
        X