This darn weather is impacting my audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This darn weather is impacting my audio

I love the summer, don't get me wrong. I live in Seattle so the sun is a sight for sore eyes. Living here I celebrate having tube monoblocks 9 months out of the year. They really help keep my house comfortable and warm. Summer is another issue. I can't turn the darn things on. The little AC I put in my window is just not enough to knock down the additional heat. That thing also makes a racket. I'm relegated to, click it on for an hour, relax a little, then snap it off. Owe yea, my TV is a big Plasma. Wonderful picture. Also a large heating element. Serious 1st world complaints going on here.
    PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Custom SET 845 monoblocks, Dartzeel NHB108, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp, Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Could be worse. You could live in Houston.
    Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

Sounds like you might need to consider a summer amplifier.
      [TURNTABLE] TW Acustic Raven One [TONEARM] Dynavector DV 507Mkii & Graham Phantom [PHONO] BAT VK-P10 & Dynavector PHA200; [CARTRIDGE] Dynavector XV1S, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cadenza Mono [TAPE] Otari MTR15 & Technics RS1500 with JRF Headblock [DIGITAL] Grace Design M920, Lynx Auroa 8 ADC/DAC, Mac Mini with roon labs [PRAMP] McIntosh C2300 [AMP] McIntosh C601s [SPEAKERS] Legacy Audio Whisper & Wavelet [ACC] Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Rex (or Sire): Until the hurricane hit the Texas coast, we've been enjoying 103-4F days here in Austin. I had both a/c systems completely gone over, replaced some parts, had the filters cleaned, etc. These units, although not new, can dehumidify without making the room frigid. In any case, it's quite comfortable despite the outdoor heat. (Ambient temps peak at around 110F in the afternoon).
        I would always find the power nasty in the summer back East. Here, it seems to be less of a problem as well. Perhaps newer, better infrastructure, plus all the work I put into the additional subsystem for the audio power. That's in your wheelhouse.
        Worst case, you could probably get a good mini-split from Mitsubishi at lower cost and cool your room. I haven't played with the latest ones, but I gather they keep getting better and better. At one point, I was looking at installing an auxiliary air con system in New York to run during the winter, because the house would be heated (and we'd need to maintain some minimum level of heat even on the third floor where the system was to prevent pipes from freezing, etc.) , but it got very hot in the listening room at the top of the house with all the tube gear running.
        You are a capable guy. You can figure this out, without spending a fortune, I think.
        Since the hurricane, it has been blissfully cool here, maybe 90 degrees, but we didn't get hammered the way the coast did.
        I guess it doesn't matter where you live, it's always something- tarantulas, bears, copperheads, brown recluse spiders, weather, lawyers, bad coffee. I now have an alligator phobia since they told me those critters are in the river right down the road. Yikes!

Comment

Bill, How did you all do in Austin. Did you get hit with the wind, as well as all the water. Hopefully no real damage to your real estate.
          PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Custom SET 845 monoblocks, Dartzeel NHB108, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp, Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

• Bill Hart
            Bill Hart commented
            Editing a comment
            We made out fine. It was obviously a serious storm, and we had some high wind and a fair amount of rain, but nothing compared to the coastal areas. We are up high, topographically, and the house sits on piers that are probably 4 or 5 feet at the front.
            Some trees down in various neighborhoods, there are some low lying areas in and around Austin that flood easily, but good here. Thanks.

I'm just southwest of downtown Austin. About 20 miles. We received 9 inches of rain and pretty steady 35-40 mph winds for 2 - 3 days. A few small tree limbs and very very green grass. We were lucky considering what happened say 30 miles south east of Austin and especially as you get around the coastal areas between Houston and Corpus...
          Speakers: Rockport Lyra
          Amps: Nagra HD Pre Amp & HD Amps
          Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus Gen 6 cabling
          Power Transparent Opus Power Cords & Opus Isolators
          Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
          Phono: Grand Prix Monaco 2.0 TT, Kuzma 4-Point, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Nagra Classic Phono & PSU
          Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x4)

Comment

Living in San Diego weather isn't a topic of conversation most of the time. However living in a high rise I can't keep my mind from at least occasionally wandering to earthquake. I hope I didn't rattle the EQ god with that comment.
            Last edited by 1morerecord2clean; 08-30-2017, 08:21 PM.
            Turntable: TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Digital: Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

Amplification: PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp, VTL 6.5 preamp Series II, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Loudspeakers: Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Isolation: Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Misc: PS Audio Noise Harvesters, Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
              1morerecord2clean commented
              Editing a comment
              Symbolic next door to my go to bicycle shop. Similarity? They carry the best. Bike shop had one of a handful of Colnago Fiftieth Anniversary bikes about 5 years ago. Serial no. was #1. Purchased by a collector in TX for $25k I think. Not for riding but for his wall. Symbolic owner a few years ago implicated in s money laundering scheme for a drug dealer I think. Not sure what happened to him. Store is open. They had a Bugatti in the window a few years back for $1.2 Million.

• Rob
              Rob commented
              Editing a comment
              Symbolic laundering money?? NO!!! welcome to the world of exotic and investment car trading. Bill Noon was their spokesman, more like mascot. part of the "where are they now" club

• c1ferrari
              c1ferrari commented
              Editing a comment
              A friend and I went to a car show at the SD Convention Ctr. one year and Symbolic at some point later.
              You know which was more interesting!

Weather, come on down to sunny Fla where we can offer warm to hot days, humidity and dewpoints over 88%, some rain and if you are lucky to live in central Fl fantastic lightning storms in the summer starting around 4pm and maybe an occasional hurricane. PS we rarely get snow or ice.
            Chris
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

Comment

Up here in BC the heat isn't usually an issue but we've had record numbers of sunny days and unusual heat this summer. The two systems that use large Class A power amps are therefor not getting use and will have to wait until Fall to do their room heater thing again.
                Main:VPI TNT V, SME V, Koetsu Urushi, Vendetta SCP2-D, Conrad Johnson Premier 14, Conrad Johnson Premier 11a, Wilson Maxx 2, Inouye power conditioner, Moon 280D DAC

#2 Sota Cosmos, SME V, Lyra Clavis, Bryston BP17, Conrad Johnson Premier 15 phono, Classe DR3 VHC, Martin Logan CLS, Hegel HD12 DAC

#3 Roksan Radius 5/Nima/Goldring Eroica LX Classe DR-7, Classe DR3 VHC bridged monos + PSE V monos (bass), Classe DAC1 DAC, Vandersteen 4A,

#4 (AV) Marantz AV 7702 Mk2, Rowland 5, Wilson Maxx 2, Vandersteen VSM-1 (x4), Hsu VTF-15H Mk 2 (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
                  I love the summer, don't get me wrong. I live in Seattle so the sun is a sight for sore eyes. Living here I celebrate having tube monoblocks 9 months out of the year. They really help keep my house comfortable and warm. Summer is another issue. I can't turn the darn things on. The little AC I put in my window is just not enough to knock down the additional heat. That thing also makes a racket. I'm relegated to, click it on for an hour, relax a little, then snap it off. Owe yea, my TV is a big Plasma. Wonderful picture. Also a large heating element. Serious 1st world complaints going on here.
                  We have a customer that lives in Guatemala City, and owns our biggest amplifier (MA-3) which has 42 power tubes per channel. He does not like air conditioning, and his listening room is about the same size as mine (average size). The amp uses triode power tubes and they run class A (the MA-3 is one of the most powerful class A triode amps made).

Yet you can sit in his listening room all day and all night without air conditioning at any time of the year and not be bothered by the heat of the amps. He installed openings in the ceiling and with about $200 worth of ductwork, pumps the heat outside with a low speed squirrel fan.

Its a cheap and elegant solution.

I run our M-60s year round. In the summer I usually pull a few power tubes out of the amp, because it runs cooler, the amp can do it and with my speakers at 98 db 1 watt 1 meter, I don't usually need the power.

Comment

• siddh
                    siddh commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I did something similar, Ralph. In my basement/listening room I installed a set of powered vents located above where my once owned mono block OTLs resided. The fan sucked a percentage of the rising heat out the basement window. Combined with a dehumidifier, except for days with temps in the 90’s, I was comfortable for hours of audio.

It's back again. Heat. My wife wont let me run the stereo in the evenings. I'm affecting the AC. Now I'm curious about SS amps again. What's a good summer amp. Runs cool, sounds great. Priced like a steal but performs like a fortune.

Comment

• Rob
                    Rob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Your SS dream doesn't exist. i use tubes year round, I don't get the whole "it puts out too much heat" sotra thing. Find a speaker that only needs 30 or so PP tube watts. done.

• Kingrex
                    Kingrex commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Basically a good cool running darn fine sounding SS amp is going to cost $$$$?

You may want to consider a ductless split system. Silent , efficient and can also heat in the winter in the Pacific NW
                  climate with a heat pump functionality. They can be retrofitted easily in existing spaces and are not super expensive.

For us here in the North East. we've been beaten with 35-40 degree Celsius days for weeks ( 85-100deg F) this is not unusual but we have not seen it for a while -especially with humidity.

I am in the basement with my listening room effectively surrounded by concrete so it takes a while for things to warm up for me in the summer as the cold air from the AC tends to fall to the lowest level. Tubes tend to warm things up nicely.. I have on occasion had to turn on the thermally heated concrete floors to equalize the cold from the AC in the basement listening room in the summer!

Good luck with your solution.
                  Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
                  Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
                  Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
                  Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
                  Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair
                  Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

Check this out. I'm so cheap . This keeps the upstairs at 73*

Comment

• kcin
                      kcin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That works!

Its nothing like Mike Lavignes very silent room that hold 30 people and does not change temperature or get muggy. My house gets real loud with all the fans and window units. That's one of 2 AC. The downstairs is a window unit.

A mini split is about $7k to $10k in parts alone. I spoke with the refer guys on my last job. They want about $2k to $3k to hook it up. That means I ran the power, poured slabs and penetrated the house for the AC and drain lines. They run the hose, connect and charge. I don't think we have enough hot days to justify. I'm more interested in air filtration. I don't have HVAC, I have radiant heat so nothing takes the dust out of my air.

I might kill a fan here or there to listen in the afternoon but the amps do add enough heat that I wont turn them on. I will survive. It's only till Tuesday.

Comment

• Kingrex
                      Kingrex commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I though about that when it went to pen. I use to like them. Till Tuesday that is.

• Kingrex
                      Kingrex commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I cant find Till Tuesday on Tidal. There is one album on Spotify.

• Joe Pittman
                      Joe Pittman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Lots of 'Til Tuesday on Tidal...
                  Working...
                  X