It's The Music That Counts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob View Post

or the guys with massive SOTA systems with very little music (comparatively) to play on them, what's the point in that? My emphasis has always been and will continue to be collecting music, the hardware comes and goes. The only constant for me is a good music collection I can access whether I listen to it over a portable desktop system or my dedicated set up, its all good as long as I get my music.
    Rob, I still buy music semi-regularly, just not at the levels many others do. Suffice it to say i've got a good spread of music from my favorite artists, including the 'soundtrack of my life' to enjoy whenever I want to listen to music. There are no right or wrongs, it's whatever makes you happy .
    Front End: Vitus SCD-025 Mk2, Oppo BPD-103 Amp: Vitus SIA-025 Speakers: Magico S5 Mk2 Isolation: Taoc ASR series racks, Taoc SCB-RS-HC50G, Stillpoints Ultra 6's + Bases/Mini's/LPI's AC Power: Furutech GTX-D(G), Gigawatt PC-3 SE Evo, Jorma Prime pc's (re-terminated with cryo'd Oyaide M1/F1’s), Jorma Unity pc (re-terminated with Oyaide P-004/C-004’s) Cables: Jorma Prime xlr's + Statement sc's, Siltech Classic Anniversary rca's + HDMI Tweaks: Acoustic Revive (various), Akiko E-tuning Gold MkII

Comment

Originally posted by Dre_J View Post

I'm not so sure about that comment being associated with "lower end forums". Most of my associates that have spent a good deal of coin on their playback setups, all believe the music is as (if not more) important.

After all, the setup can't do anything without music. They go hand in hand, IMO.

How one prioritizes is personal and I, for one, encourage participation in the hobby from a library perspective or an equipment perspective or both.

The group is small enough that we don't need to turn on each other.

all IMO, of course.
      Not turning on anyone. I could have mis-read the slightly tongue-in-cheek intent of Myles thread, but I thought he was eluding to the often revelatory experience of audiophiles who hear their favorite music on a well sorted high end rig for the first time. Fyi, I agree that music is atleast as important as the audio equipment it is played on. As for my comparatively high levels of spending on equipment vs music currently, that is a product of my non-professional salary and the fact I don't want to be building my system for 20 years. I want to get it done & then focus on buying music, but that's for another thread on system building..
      Front End: Vitus SCD-025 Mk2, Oppo BPD-103 Amp: Vitus SIA-025 Speakers: Magico S5 Mk2 Isolation: Taoc ASR series racks, Taoc SCB-RS-HC50G, Stillpoints Ultra 6's + Bases/Mini's/LPI's AC Power: Furutech GTX-D(G), Gigawatt PC-3 SE Evo, Jorma Prime pc's (re-terminated with cryo'd Oyaide M1/F1’s), Jorma Unity pc (re-terminated with Oyaide P-004/C-004’s) Cables: Jorma Prime xlr's + Statement sc's, Siltech Classic Anniversary rca's + HDMI Tweaks: Acoustic Revive (various), Akiko E-tuning Gold MkII

Comment

So along these lines. Do you ever find that you often blame the record/tape/CD/file for sonic issues when in reality it's the equipment that is at fault?
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• tima
          tima commented
          Editing a comment
          Does this mean you now like DGs? :-)

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
        So along these lines. Do you ever find that you often blame the record/tape/CD/file for sonic issues when in reality it's the equipment that is at fault?
        I sure hope not.

Usually I have another setup (at least always for vinyl) to bounce the music off to be sure. Additionally, there is a running multitude of music played back to gather a general sense of what the system is doing.

IMO, the best thing a hobbyist can do is know their system strengths and weaknesses, get a firm grasp of what their preference is, and work towards it.

The merry-go-round is less ridden when changes are approached this way.
        Every day is a good day to play analog.
        12" 33.3/45rpm vinyl or 10.5" 15/30ips tape

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
          I've spent the last 9 years building a system which sounds resolving and musical, with good synergy and balance. I'm still working on it, but I feel like my current setup does a good job of communicating the difference between good and lesser recordings. Mind you, having heard my friend's $500k system I can easily hear where his Vitus Mastepiece transport/dac & especially Kronos Pro tt with SCPS-1/Vitus MP-P201 take the sound to another level. So I can't really complain about recordings when there is so much room for improvement on the equipment side and listening room.
          Last edited by Bodhi; 09-13-2017, 06:04 AM.

Comment

For me, at my age, If I was to loose my system for some weird reason. I would have it completely rebuilt (maybe better maybe not as good) within a couple months.
            If something wiped out my LP collection, I would sell my system, and be done.
            SOURCE: VINYL - #3 back up, Rega Union Jack RP1 w/ Bias 2 cartridge. Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Benz LPS-mr. DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/dac. PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2. AMPLIFIER: Audionet AMP monoblocks. SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures w/ YG binding post upgrade. CABLES: Audioquest and Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

Working...
            X