Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tested Tubes anyone?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tested Tubes anyone?

    print vacuum tubes GE 5814 TESTED GOOD - $105 (Marysville)






    condition: good
    more ads by this user



    3 GE 5814 tubes.
    D getter.
    2 grey 1 blk plt
    $5.00 insured shipping.
    PayPal check MO


    All three tubes have sever bent pins syndrome. I wonder how he was able to plug them into a tube tester to test these tubes to be GOOD... So much I don't know...

  • #2
    You had me for a second because I thought you were selling these junk tubes. I was going to ask you about the bent pins.. I wouldn't give $.01 for all 3 of them.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

    Comment


    • #3
      Tested for what?
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
      ________________________________________

      -Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
        Tested for what?
        They are tubes and not sticks.

        Comment


        • #5
          This ad is an example of recent gold rush or tube rush where people dig out old and replaced tubes from TV repair shops and list them on Craigslist. I saw one well used Telefunken 12AX7 for sale at $150 recently. At this point, it's the buyers of these tubes are stupid as much as the silly sellers.

          Comment


          • #6
            Even if tested, buying tubes from unknown sources is a lottery game. A tube can be approaching the end of its lifetime and still measure good.

            Tubes wear mostly because of cathode evaporation - the key point for tube life. Sometimes they become noisy because material emitted from the cathodes deposits on the grids and they start emitting electrons - such tube will measure perfectly in conventional meters.

            Long ago - I was still a student at the University - I read an interesting article written the British Post Office engineers where they described techniques to determine the remaining of life in a tube. Unfortunately I did not keep a copy and could not find it since them. But as far as I remember it involved making measurements in a tube at lower filament voltages and comparing them to those of reference tube. At that time (post WW II years) wear of tubes was a particular concern of the telecommunications - tubes were scarce and they could not afford to replace them systematically, but they wanted to minimize maintenance visits and downtime periods.

            My opinions rely on listening mainly to acoustical, non amplified music. I do not care about electronic music or listening to rock at stadium levels, but I enjoy Mahler and Shostakovitch.

            Comment


            • mep
              mep commented
              Editing a comment
              Francisco- Sounds like you are describing a cathode life test like the Better Hickok testers will perform. Basically it drops the cathode voltage and measures how much the cathode emission drops off.

          • #7
            Originally posted by microstrip View Post
            Even if tested, buying tubes from unknown sources is a lottery game. A tube can be approaching the end of its lifetime and still measure good.

            Tubes wear mostly because of cathode evaporation - the key point for tube life. Sometimes they become noisy because material emitted from the cathodes deposits on the grids and they start emitting electrons - such tube will measure perfectly in conventional meters.

            Long ago - I was still a student at the University - I read an interesting article written the British Post Office engineers where they described techniques to determine the remaining of life in a tube. Unfortunately I did not keep a copy and could not find it since them. But as far as I remember it involved making measurements in a tube at lower filament voltages and comparing them to those of reference tube. At that time (post WW II years) wear of tubes was a particular concern of the telecommunications - tubes were scarce and they could not afford to replace them systematically, but they wanted to minimize maintenance visits and downtime periods.
            One of the biggest issues IMHO. And you have tubes that measure good even on an amplitrex (or my George Kaye tester). Put them in the equipment and the tubes sound pretty but have no dynamics.


            Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
            Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
            ________________________________________

            -Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
            -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
            -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
            -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
            -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
            -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
            -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
            -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
            -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
            -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

              One of the biggest issues IMHO. And you have tubes that measure good even on an amplitrex (or my George Kaye tester). Put them in the equipment and the tubes sound pretty but have no dynamics.
              Myles, do have access to a curve tracer? I'm wondering if those tubes which show well on an Amplitrex or Kaye tester would also acquit themselves well on a CT

              Vbr,

              Sam

              Vbr,

              Sam

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by c1ferrari View Post

                Myles, do have access to a curve tracer? I'm wondering if those tubes which show well on an Amplitrex or Kaye tester would also acquit themselves well on a CT

                Vbr,

                Sam

                Good question. Not any more.

                What I like most about George's machine is the tubes are actually tested for performance in a real audio circuit. But only small signal tubes.

                The microphonics portion of the tester is handy too! Interesting how you can hear how one of two triode sections is microphonic. There worst in my experience were the Ei ECC83s. I can't imagine what cj went through to get quiet and working phono tubes when they used the Eis in their phono sections.
                Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
                ________________________________________

                -Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
                -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
                -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
                -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by c1ferrari View Post

                  Myles, do have access to a curve tracer? I'm wondering if those tubes which show well on an Amplitrex or Kaye tester would also acquit themselves well on a CT

                  Vbr,

                  Sam
                  Unfortunately the curves will show the same. Most people will be disappointed to know that their beloved Telefunken's tracer curves are similar to those of cheap brands ...
                  My opinions rely on listening mainly to acoustical, non amplified music. I do not care about electronic music or listening to rock at stadium levels, but I enjoy Mahler and Shostakovitch.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by microstrip View Post

                    Unfortunately the curves will show the same. Most people will be disappointed to know that their beloved Telefunken's tracer curves are similar to those of cheap brands ...

                    I think that companies like cj, ARC, VTL, etc. realize that the only way to really see how a tube performs is putting it in the actual circuit and does that performance meet specs.
                    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
                    ________________________________________

                    -Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
                    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
                    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
                    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post


                      I think that companies like cj, ARC, VTL, etc. realize that the only way to really see how a tube performs is putting it in the actual circuit and does that performance meet specs.
                      ARC uses mostly the 6H30 double triode tube. As my system at a certain moment used 25 of them I built a jig connected to my PC to test them in a circuit with their typical operation points in the real circuit, measuring even distortion and noise. I used it mostly to match and select them. The 6h30 is known to lasts for a long time - ARC tells us to replace them at 4000 hours. Most of my tubes still measured perfect at 5000 hours, but when I replaced them the equipment sounded much better with the new fresh tubes.

                      BTW, the effects of burn-in are notorious in tubes - in many tubes the noise spectra changed significantly during the first 100 hours.
                      My opinions rely on listening mainly to acoustical, non amplified music. I do not care about electronic music or listening to rock at stadium levels, but I enjoy Mahler and Shostakovitch.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by microstrip View Post

                        ARC uses mostly the 6H30 double triode tube. As my system at a certain moment used 25 of them I built a jig connected to my PC to test them in a circuit with their typical operation points in the real circuit, measuring even distortion and noise. I used it mostly to match and select them. The 6h30 is known to lasts for a long time - ARC tells us to replace them at 4000 hours. Most of my tubes still measured perfect at 5000 hours, but when I replaced them the equipment sounded much better with the new fresh tubes.

                        BTW, the effects of burn-in are notorious in tubes - in many tubes the noise spectra changed significantly during the first 100 hours.
                        Funny thing about the 6H30s. The 6H30-EBs (2012 or so?) that cj initially supplied with the ART were junk. They didn't last at all. I've gone to using the NOS pre-76 6H30-DRs and besides being better sounding, they have had zero problems.
                        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
                        ________________________________________

                        -Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
                        -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
                        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
                        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post


                          The microphonics portion of the tester is handy too! Interesting how you can hear how one of two triode sections is microphonic.
                          Yeah, that's a real bummer when one side is microphonic and everything else is alright.

                          Vbr,

                          Sam

                          Comment


                          • MylesBAstor
                            MylesBAstor commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Gotta love that sleigh bell sound!

                        • #15
                          Originally posted by microstrip View Post

                          Unfortunately the curves will show the same. Most people will be disappointed to know that their beloved Telefunken's tracer curves are similar to those of cheap brands ...
                          I'm elated when tubes of various manufacture mimic the Receiving Tube Manual...it's my baseline for electrical -- read NOT sonic -- performance.

                          Vbr,

                          Sam

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X