Preference: Dedicated room or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preference: Dedicated room or not?

I've had both several times and I'm currently in a dedicated space once more. I really enjoy the ability to focus fully on my music when in my audio room, but I'm not sure if I always have as much fun. I also find I play less music as time has to be devoted to take myself away from life's goings on, and that's not always possible. As such, I listen to a lot of music on FLAC via my PC setup. While I enjoy it, it is also a compromise as I'm not getting the same impact of sound my dedicated room provides. A bit of a conundrum wouldn't you say?

In the end, and if given the choice, I would one day love to have a space in my main living area that can fully function as an audio room without the isolation of a dedicated space. In the meantime I just enjoy what I have and count myself lucky to have much great music as my disposal.

Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

I have the opposite problem having to listen to what has to be the crappiest music imaginable all day long at work. The perfect hat trick: loud, horrible and distorted. Youch. I crave silence sometimes and live for my listening sessions at home.

I've never had a dedicated space and have always played with the hand I was dealt.

The closest I came was many years ago when my ex and I were shopping for a home. We had found a nice place but the "listening" room to be just didn't have the right dimensions. The real estate agent, thinking it a negotiating ploy, offered to lop $15,000 off the price. We explained the situation to her but she just didn't seem to grasp the concept that this room was non-negotiable.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Definitely a dedicated room. You can move the speakers and listening position where the hell you need to for the best possible sound with no constraints!

Comment

Vbr,

Sam

Comment

I've been lucky in the past, in that since graduating college in 1979, I've had dedicated stereo rooms almost everywhere I've lived. The two exceptions being the years we lived on our sailboat and the past five years in our current condo. We hope to move again in two or three years, and I will get another dedicated room then.
          Steve Lefkowicz
          Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
          -
          Analog: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 19a, iPhono2; Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Sumiko Pearl, iFi iPhono.
          Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi iDAC2, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2.
          Electronics: Burson Conductor Virtuoso, DIY switch-box with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso, Jolida JD1000P, B&K ST140.
          Speakers: Tekton Double Impact, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7, ELAC Debut2 B6.2, Debut F5 and Debut B6, Emotiva Airmotiv B1, Sound Dynamics 300ti.
          Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Nordost Solar Wind, Audioquest Evergreen
          Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Nordost Solar Wind, Nordost Flatline, Audioquest Q2.
          Digital cables: Straightwire USB Link, Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
          Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan racks, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Sound Organization speaker stands, Pangea Audio speaker stands, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
          Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More MK801, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

I vote dedicated room too, but there are drawbacks that I'm not sure how one gets around: first, you are physically isolated, which is good for sound, and perhaps for listening, but being detached from the surrounding environment always seems to lead to a cave-like environment. Since windows are a no-no, that means you can't enjoy a nice pastoral view while listening (Yes, window treatments in effect while listening, and relieved when not in listening mode, but wouldn't it be lovely to have both- the view and the sound?) Since I haven't relocated yet, my plans for my next room remain in limbo, and I would love to have a detached facility that shares a common reflection pool with the main living quarters and a decent view. We have fabulous views of the Hudson in NY, but not from the listening room, which has a cave-like quality despite the fact that it is at the top of the house. I'm not sure this is a quandary one can get around. Or am I wrong? (I'd love to be wrong on this one).

Comment

Bill,

Don't see why you can't have both. I understand the need/rationale to build a personal audio bunker with ultimate SQ but I don't think I would even if I could. Listening to me is about the experience as well as the music for both live performances as well as at home. Being in a typical audio bunker just doesn't float my boat, (never been to MikeLs so I hope this doesn't DQ me from a visit. ). May be better sonically but I haven't enjoyed it as much. I would love to have a view of the Hudson besides from my building's roof deck. If I had a listening room overlooking the river I'd make sure there was a view facing the river. Sure the SQ may suffer a bit but it would more than compensated for as I watch the sun set with a glass in my hand listening to whatever I have chosen for the occasion.
              Tannoy Glenair, April Sound SET 50 monoblocks and LR phono, EMIA silver remote attenuator and Strain Gauge, Mono TT - AE 208 TT, Abis 1.2BCS arm Miyajima Premium BE, Stereo TT - Fairchild 750 Schroder Custom BA, Miyajima Kansui, Mac Mini w/ Roon, Bel Canto RefLink, Dac 3.5VB, Wadia 860x.

Comment

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
                -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
                -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
                -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Beaur View Post
                  Bill,

Don't see why you can't have both. I understand the need/rationale to build a personal audio bunker with ultimate SQ but I don't think I would even if I could. Listening to me is about the experience as well as the music for both live performances as well as at home. Being in a typical audio bunker just doesn't float my boat, (never been to MikeLs so I hope this doesn't DQ me from a visit. ). May be better sonically but I haven't enjoyed it as much. I would love to have a view of the Hudson besides from my building's roof deck. If I had a listening room overlooking the river I'd make sure there was a view facing the river. Sure the SQ may suffer a bit but it would more than compensated for as I watch the sun set with a glass in my hand listening to whatever I have chosen for the occasion.
                  I feel you, Beaur. Too late anyway for the Hudson River house, it is on the market, and the last thing I'm gonna do at this point is gut the entire third floor to move the listening area to the front part of the house. (The front room has now become the cleaning and flattening/intake/room- you know how you expand into the space?). The next room- that's the question. My wife and I have reached a balance- the building for listening will NOT be larger than the building for living.

Comment

There's no reason you can't have windows as long as you pay strict attention to a few things.

1. If possible, use laminated windows for sound resistance, to keep outside noises out and vis a vis. If you can, slant them so you won't have a direct reflection back into the room. Also, there are rigid insulation inserts you can place over the window when you must have the utmost in sonics.

2. The wall that has the least effect on sonics is the one behind the speakers. Make sure the window/windows are symmetrical. If possible, have them above the listener's ear.

3. You can use acoustical drapery in front of them if need be.

Comment

• Bill Hart
                      Bill Hart commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Affirmative. Or custom made glass that is sound absorbent, but the robots haven't figured that one out yet
                      10-4 and Roger on your comments otherwise!

• JackD201
                      JackD201 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes the robots have! RPG I believe makes clear coatings. They are used in large glass facade buildings. One guy with a huge covered swimming pool had all the glass coated.

• MylesBAstor
                      MylesBAstor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great points! Thanks Bruce! I also use the large Marigo tuning dots on my windows. One placed near each corner, the size depending upon the window. I think the larger window (4 x 2 ft (?)) has 2-inch dots in each corner while the smaller windows (2 x 2 ft (?)) have 1-inch dots. And the speakers are pulled a good distance out from the windows. Around 66 inches or so.

In my bunker now. I'm listening to Byrd while typing and enjoying some lemonade. My kids are on the sofas playing with their gadgets. Summer has come early and the basement is the coolest place in the house. Dedicated room for me. It was a major consideration when dealing with the architect. It can be said that the house was literally built over and around this room.

Comment

Wanted my main listening room to by my Family Room, which I initially did setup as such. Then family got annoyed by the music playing so I built a dedicated listening room in the basement. Better sonics, can crank it, but I do miss the impromptu interactions...
                      Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

I prefer a dedicated,and acoustically treated room.ive only had that for about 3 years now,but it has spoiled me.
                        digitalphile here yay

Comment

Working...
                        X