Running out of Steam (Headroom) vs Clipping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running out of Steam (Headroom) vs Clipping

You know what I mean. It clicked for me today playing Hendrix Stone Free Live at the Fillmore East. I don't clip, I just run out of steam.
    Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, Transition Audio 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, Denon 103R Midas Saphire with line contact diamond. Mojo Audio CAT Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC. Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

is it your amp or speakers?
    SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs, and a pair of JBL 4345 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
      You know what I mean. It clicked for me today playing Hendrix Stone Free Live at the Fillmore East. I don't clip, I just run out of steam.
      LOL, you just described me on the treadmill.
      SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp, Benz LPS-mr, Benz Ebony H, DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/transport, Auralic Vega DSD 256 DAC. PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2. AMPLIFIER: Audionet AMP monoblocks. SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) REL Gibraltar G1 with G1 mk2 driver. CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

It is like a treadmill Tom. It's like you want to go harder and faster but as the resistance goes up, you just can't.

I was noticing this with my stereo, It's really not something that's a hearing sensation, it's a Feeling. I say a feeling because at a very low volume, with your eyes closed, a set of bookshelves can trick you into believing they are larger than they are. There's not enough going on yet to really sense their size. I believe with all speaker and amp pairings, as you go from a low volume and start to turn it up, the sensation, the feeling, the tactile pressure of the performance seems to grow. At some point depending on the system that sense of size and scale, that tactile feel stops growing or becoming larger as the volume continues to increase. I notice this happening at a pretty low to moderate low volume. I believe this is what Headroom is about. I think an amp and speaker pairing that hits that point could possibly grow to a larger size if the amplifier was more powerful or the speaker was more efficient.

If your with me so far, I would also muse that all amps and speakers are going to get to a point where the size just doesn't grow and the volume continues to rise. If you continue to push the volume at some point that feeling of scale and size starts to contract. I believe at that point when it feels as if it is contract is when your clipping.

As I was cranking the Hendricks today I really sensed the point at which my system just wasn't going to grow anymore. It was getting louder, but It topped out on size. I really felt two 10 inch woofers and a 5-1/2 in voxativ driver. If I was to put a set of Boulder amplifiers or maybe D'Agostino's onto my system, that sense of size would probably increase some. But at some point even that system will peek out as it continues to grow. The drivers can only go so far and fast.

As I have gotten my whole stereo more dialed-in, and more importantly my front end dialed-in, which happens to be digital, I am able to have a much better sense of each of the individual components and what they are doing. It's becoming plainly obvious if I want bigger sound, I need larger speakers. Or, more powerful amplifiers. I personally believe larger speakers give more room to the scale equation than power. I heard my amps driving the Live Sound Design Altecs and the performance was tremendous. The owner was saying the room needed to be 40 feet deeper to really bring the speakers into their own. The relationship between the components I have now is very synergistic. They play well together and are very delightful to listen to. However having opportunities to listen to systems such as Joe's, Mike's, the Live Sound Design system in Virginia, and even some shows at Definitive Audio where they're running large Wilson speakers with D'Agostino, I just realized how small my system is as a whole. I can get it to play at a good reasonable volume in my space, but I can't make it grow too big room filling bone-crushing scale due to its overall configuration.

I think I'm going through the same thing fishermen go through with their boats. It's called 3 foot itis. If you have a 14 foot boat you want 17. If you have a 17 foot boat you want a 20. It's always nice to have a little bit more.

Owe yea, If I sound like I'm full of it, it's probably because I have no idea what I'm talking about. It's just a Feeling.
        Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, Transition Audio 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, Denon 103R Midas Saphire with line contact diamond. Mojo Audio CAT Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC. Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

• timztunz
          timztunz commented
          Editing a comment
          I get that. A LOT of what I enjoy out of this hobby is best described as “feeling”.
      Working...
      X