Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's get this started! A few very good but inexpensive items.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Schitt DAC'S are nice. For cheap cables, i have preferred the Signal Cables over other stuff I've tried. ELAC UB5, and UF5 are really nice for entry speakers
    SOURCE: VINYL -VPI HR-X, 12.7 arm, ADS - Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Benz LPS-mr. DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/dac. PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2. AMPLIFIER: Audionet AMP monoblocks. SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures w/ YG binding post upgrade. CABLES: Audioquest and Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

Old Bose 601's and 901's offer great value.

Comment

The Pro-Ject Tube Box II phono stage. My kid has got one. As I was recently setting up his turntable (a Pro-Ject 2 Xperience Acryl DC with an Ortofon 2M Silver cartridge), I hooked the whole combo to my system to check it out. I could not believe what this rather inexpensive package was capable of delivering.

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
          Steve Lefkowicz commented
          Editing a comment
          2M Silver?

• dcc
          dcc commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. Specially made for Pro-ject.

• JimTimP
          JimTimP commented
          Editing a comment
          I have one of these. I would not recommend it. The internal power supply to step the 18 VDC from the wall wart to the 150 VDC needed for the tubes is noisy.

Have to add Canare 4S11 cable as speaker cables here. You can get it for about $1.25 to $1.65 foot, terminate it yourself with about $10 - $20 worth of decent spade or bananas, and it works really well for about $50 to $75 dollars.

Trying out a set I just put together for my brother, 8.5 feet long, with old Monster gold braided pin connectors at the amp end, and spades at the other , and they are actually really nice. I prefer either the Morrow SP4 or Vermouth Audio Red Velvet I normally use, but at over $700 for either of those it isn't really a fair comparison. The differences I hear are significant for people like us, but for most people, beginners or non-hard-core audiophiles, it would be hard to justify spending much more.

Just switched over and am using the cables between my son's 1970s Luxman LV-80v integrated amp and my old Direct Acoustics Silent Speakers (which I'll be shipping to my son in February) and with the $750 Music Hall 2.3 SE turntable, it is a very fun system.
        Steve Lefkowicz
        Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
        --------------------------------------------------------
        http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Originally posted by nc42acc View Post
          I hate to sound like a broken record but the Gustard X20 DAC has amazed me at how good it makes digital sound.
          Indeed, this appears to be the unanimous consensus on the Gustard X-20pro and predecessor. Gustard has recently introduced X-22 (featuring the ESS-9038 dac-chip)

Since the Gustard name surfaced on hi-fi forums three years(?) back, it's strange there has not been a single review from one of the more mainstream publications -whether traditional or Internet-based.

pj

Comment

I'm not even sure who the US distributor is, although www.shenzhenaudio.com seems to be their worldwide distributor. Other than a Facebook page, Gustard doesn't seem to even have their own web site.
            Steve Lefkowicz
            Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
            --------------------------------------------------------
            http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

I was going to pen a "One Minute" cable review but might as well put it here. Move it if it doesn't belong.

I am definitely not someone who believes\hears all the changes that cables can make. I do believe they can make a difference but all the crazy stuff that's been penned, I just don't hear it when I have done similar. What I have found recently is that replacing ALL of the cables in my system at the same time makes a definite audible difference!

I've known for some time that I needed to replace my aging mash-up of wire, I just don't have the time to audition/build and didn't want to plunge into the deep end monetarily. Decided that I would "cheap out" and get some inexpensive wire to bridge the gap until I could make a more informed decision.

To make a long story short my saga led me to Anticables, and for less than $500 I wired my entire system. I did sit down and listen beforehand so I do have some sense of perspective. It's not a Eureka moment but there was a definite improvement in clarity and tone. Hopefully further break-in will lead to more improvements! Doesn't hurt that the wife/kids noticed them and liked them!

I would say the take away from this is while Anticable provides a good point of entry and an upgrade path if you can replace the entire cable loom in your system.
              Tannoy Glenair, April Sound SET 50 monoblocks and LR phono, Emia silver remote attenuator and Strain Gauge, Mono TT - AE 208 TT, Abis 1.2BCS arm Miyajima Premium BE, Stereo TT - Fairchild 750 Schroder Custom, Miyajima Kansui, Mac Mini w/ Roon, Bel Canto RefLink, Dac 3.5VB.

Comment

Emotiva Gear is all a great value whatever you pick out. They are the new NAD or Adcom.
                LP- AT1240, Denon 103, Various AT MM's, Shure M35x. Emotiva XPS-1 Pre. Dig- JRiver 20 Server, Creative X-Fi HD> Theta TLC> Adcom GDA 700 DAC. Denon DTR2000G DAT. Amps- Adcom 535, 545. NAD 216. Pre Amp- McCormack Micro Line Drive. Speakers- Mirage M7si. Cables- Transparent Music Link/Music Wave Bi Wire, Kimber PBJ, 8VS.

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
                  Steve Lefkowicz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agreed. Their BasX TA-100 Integrated Amp for $399 is an amazing way to get into good sound without spending much money, Even the DAC (PCM only) and phono stage (MM and MC) are both quite usable.
              Working...
              X