Beer Budget Entry Level Turntable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Lefkowicz View Post
    I also think we need to be cognizant of the fact that people who aren't already knowledgeable audiophiles or record collectors would probably not view any turntables above $1000 as "beer budget." If you own a $30,000 table a $1,000 table might seem cute and cheap, but to someone looking to start out, even $500 seems extravagant. That's where things like the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon or Music Hall 2.2 come in. Great tables for the price.

Point taken. However I do think more than less people could be persuaded to spend under one grand for a complete table, lock, stock and barrell.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Since it was available at the local guitar shop, I picked up a Pioneer PLX-1000. Works fine, the interchangable headshell feature is useful, different mats (home made and store bought both) make a lot of difference and I'm still experimenting.

Just like my old Technics, I've never noticed any cogging even on piano where it would certainly show up on long sustains. Maybe cogging is an issue with less well engineered and excecuted tables, but like I said, never heard it on the 1300 or the 1000.

I'm thinking it's a pretty decent table for the money, and it's built like a tank.

Comment

We carry VPI and Music Hall. At first, I refused to stock Music Hall's entry level $250 model, as I thought it would be a throwaway thingie, opting instead for the brilliant $500 2.2 (now 2.3).

And what do you know, but Steve is correct. More than once we had people in that loved the 2.2, but thought $500 was "too much". So, enter the $250 USB-1.

We set one of those up for a customer the other day, and while it is indeed plastic-y, it's way better than your average Crosley, and shows none of the issues I've seen/heard with other entry levels, like Rega's wobbling platter, etc.

All in all, a great deal!
        Disclosure:
        Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
        Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
        [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          way better than your average Crosley - I love it !

From the AT-LP60 to the TD170-1, I did not realize there were so many sub-$700 TTs with built-in amplification. I suppose the Nomad would be an upgrade from some of these.

Do many of the various options support a drop-in cartridge (or cart+headshell) that requires no alignment adjustment? Do any include a basic record cleaning kit? All the vinyl pros and cons still apply.

Comment

Originally posted by tima View Post
          From the AT-LP60 to the TD170-1, I did not realize there were so many sub-$700 TTs with built-in amplification. I suppose the Nomad would be an upgrade from some of these.

Do many of the various options support a drop-in cartridge (or cart+headshell) that requires no alignment adjustment? Do any include a basic record cleaning kit? All the vinyl pros and cons still apply.
          Good point and totally agree. That is why love the Nomad. No muss, no fuss. Comes setup and ready to spin.

Record brush or cleaning kit is a great idea.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by tima View Post
            I'm not aware of any that don't require adjustment, but having a cartridge with a replacement stylus would take care of that.

With regard to cleaning kits, a smart dealer would prep one for a nominal amount (perhaps at cost or a small margin) and sell it as a combo. I would think that to be an easy sell.
            Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Sure, still I'm thinking it should be included by default. The experience goes downhill pretty quickly with dirty records.

Where is Discwasher when we need them!

If buying new, my vote goes to one of the Denon offerings.

david
            Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
            Distribution: NEODIO

Special Sales: van den Hul
            Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
            http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
            http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

how are the new Thorens? ?
              The Td 309 is well worth considering as a affordable turnatble with a very interesting design and good engineering that is not a middle of the road solution. Price 2K. Although why they bother to include a crappy audio technica mm cart (worth like 60$) in the deal is beyond me.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	11408 Click image for larger version

Name:	thorens-td-309-unten-1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	11409 Click image for larger version

Name:	a7292667d6.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	11410

Comment

Of the TT you talk about above the Rega is the only one I have heard (good for the money but not Oh my god good)

Are you not asking the wrong people some of the guys on here have their gear delivered by Brinks .

Comment

Originally posted by david k View Post
                  If buying new, my vote goes to one of the Denon offerings.

david
                  Why's that David?

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• david k
                    david k commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was thinking of their direct drives, just checked their website and looks like the new owners have phased them all out. Their recent dd tables were very musical and accurate, imo dd has clear advantage over the belt driven tts in this end of the market.

david

• MylesBAstor
                    MylesBAstor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    K. What do you think of some of the rebuilt, older Denon DDs?

• david k
                    david k commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't know about the rebuilt ones but some of the vintage models in original condition are really good, I'm not up on all the current ones but the DP-100 is the best dd table I ever heard.

david

Originally posted by Garth View Post
                  Of the TT you talk about above the Rega is the only one I have heard (good for the money but not Oh my god good)

Are you not asking the wrong people some of the guys on here have their gear delivered by Brinks .
                  I thought the Rega good at shows but didn't think the cartridge would win any tracking awards.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

If I was on a really tight budget, I would buy a used thorens and a new ortofon mm cart.
                    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

There is a Denon DP-100 on Ebay right now for a cool $24K.
                      Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

At Axpona, SOTA showed their Moonbearm turntable that retails for a touch over $1000 replete with arm and cartridge.
                        SOTA is an American turntable brand founded circa 1980 by Dave Fletcher and Robert Becker in Berkeley California.The talented Spiral Groove turntable designer Allen Perkins worked for the company in the late 1980s. In the early 1990s, when it appeared that compact discs were going to kill off vinyl, the original owners decided to sell the “albatross”. Jack Shafton, who is now V.P. Sales and Marketing at loudspeaker manufacturer Golden Ear, bought the company and moved it to Illinois.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

I am considering a Moonbeam for my Granddaughter.

Comment

Working...
                          X