Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amps

How about BBFYB Amplifiers?

I have a very affordable Musical Paradise MP-301 Single Ended 6V6 integrated that I like. Also a Don Allen EL84 SE Cakepan power amp I use with a Schiit passive pre. On the solid state side I have a bargain priced NSMT modified Lepai amp that is not too bad.

Anyone else? Any Single Ended Triode amps under $1k?

Craig

Maybe I should know to what "BBFYB" cashes out, but I don't.

Comment

I'm guessing its Big Bang For Your Buck. Sub 1k? That's a tough one. It's already hard to DIY with less than 1k if one doesn't have donor parts. Transformers really run up the bill quickly.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Jack. Hat-tip for that!

Yes, sorry tima for the confusion, I tried to save typing by turning the forum theme "getting the best bang for your buck" into to an acronym.

Thanks Jack for the feedback, I finally have some SET compatible speakers but my curiosity is tempered by the entry fee.

Craig

Comment

Jack nailed it-unless you already have some good SE OPTs laying around the house for your project, it's hard to pull this off for $1K or less. Good OPTs are expensive, good SE OPTs are more expensive. Having said that, if you use SE OPTs from Hammond, you could possibly pull this off. The Hammond 1628SEA is a good choice for a lot of different output tubes and they can be had for less than $150.00 each.
        Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mortsnets View Post
          Yes, sorry tima for the confusion, I tried to save typing by turning the forum theme "getting the best bang for your buck" into to an acronym.

Thanks Jack for the feedback, I finally have some SET compatible speakers but my curiosity is tempered by the entry fee.

Craig
          Sure. I use acronyms too, but that one escaped me. I keep encouraging myself to write for the reader.

Along with SETs, consider OTL (Output Transformer-Less) amplifiers. I believe Atma-Sphere offers their M-60 monoblocks in kit form. Those offer (very, imo) high sonic value for the buck.

Comment

Originally posted by tima View Post

Sure. I use acronyms too, but that one escaped me. I keep encouraging myself to write for the reader.

Along with SETs, consider OTL (Output Transformer-Less) amplifiers. I believe Atma-Sphere offers their M-60 monoblocks in kit form. Those offer (very, imo) high sonic value for the buck.
            Atma-Sphere quit offering kit amps long ago. Too many problems and too many showed up on the used market with issues.
            Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• mep
              mep commented
              Editing a comment
              So where does your link say they are available as kits?

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Here's a tip that may help:

Go to the M60 Web page. Within your browser, press CTRL-F. That should bring up a search field into which can be typed the word "KIT".

• mep
              mep commented
              Editing a comment
              I stand corrected.

Originally posted by mep View Post
            Jack nailed it-unless you already have some good SE OPTs laying around the house for your project, it's hard to pull this off for $1K or less. Good OPTs are expensive, good SE OPTs are more expensive. Having said that, if you use SE OPTs from Hammond, you could possibly pull this off. The Hammond 1628SEA is a good choice for a lot of different output tubes and they can be had for less than $150.00 each.
            Then when you move up to the really good output tubes......

Comment

Originally posted by JackD201 View Post

Then when you move up to the really good output tubes......
              Exactly...

Comment

Certainly not under your $1K limit, but the ampsandsound Mogwai is single ended using el34, kt88 or other octal power tubes at $1850. it's both a 4 watt speaker amp and a killer headphone amp. The old Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S was only about $700 when I got mine, also using KT88. They don't import them to north America any more, but they are still available (though for about $1500) in Asia.

My recommendation for someone looking for low power high quality under $1000 amp would be to look at a gain-clone or other chip amp using that series of chips. I've used the ampsandsound chip amp ($600 for a stereo amp) and it was way better than you would expect for that price. Used an LM1875 chip. I'll be getting a mono set of these amps to test out in the near future.

The Almarro A205A from Japan is a great sounding single ended EL84 amp, and is around $1000, but is really hard to get. They just don't make very many of them.
                Steve Lefkowicz
                Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                -
                Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
                Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 28, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
                Electronics: DIY passive line-stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
                Speakers: Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
                Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
                Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
                Digital cables: Aural Symphonics USB, iFi Gemini twin-head USB.
                Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
                Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Comment

1.5 to 2k for a finished competent tube amp sounds about right. 1k as a kit, possible but I'd think quite rare.

Comment

A question that I have
                    all of us may agree that some amps play sound while others music , but what amps are fast and still do.
                    In speakers for me a ribbon has this quality of music but can be slow while amd ES is very fast but seems thin.
                    In headphones and for me weight is a line to walk. Too far into speed yields less music and more sound.
                    My irs st this point seem very musical and have weight
                    what can I do to speed them up a bit ? I am thinking that some amps are faster is this true ?
                    What I have now are Aragon's
                    they are transparent that I can tell small changes a good sign but what I don't get is what I call the jumping factor
                    given they are large speakers so the image is large what I feel they lack is this. If music comes on fast from low or slow they don't snap as some others do.
                    Any thoughts in this. Should I do this in another post ?
                    Thanks in advance
                    analog stuff.
                    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                    Dacs lampi various

Comment

Three places that come to mind;

Bottlehead
                      Decware
                      Music Reference
                      Turntable: - 1. Fairchild 750/OMA slate plinth
                      2. Analog Engineering AE-2008 MinusK support.
                      Tonearm: 1. Schroder Custom
                      2. Schick 12"
                      3. Abis SA-1
                      Cartridge: Miyajima Kansui and Premium BE Mono
                      PhonoPre: AprilSound LR, EMIA Strain Gauge, EMIA silver SUT
                      CD: Wadia 860x
                      Server: Innuos Zen Mini Mk3
                      DAC: Computer Audio Design 1543 Mk2
                      Preamp: Bent Audio TAP-X w silver autoformers
                      Amplifier: AprilSound SET50 monoblocks
                      Speaker: Pioneer PAX-30C

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                        My irs st this point seem very musical and have weight
                        what can I do to speed them up a bit ? I am thinking that some amps are faster is this true ?
                        The "fastest" amp I've had in my system is David Berning's Quadrature Z. These mono-blocks reproduce music in a way that is incredibly dynamic, vivacious, and so immediately transparent I could tell Dusty used the Ipana, not the Colgate.

Comment

• Hawk
                          Hawk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The David Berning Quadrature Z's are really nice. Are they not a transformer-less OTL Design? For a design that has been around a while, they sound excellent and they retain their value very well. Definitely, not inexpensive. Big Bang for more then a few bucks. I really like the Lamm 1.2 reference you own. I have less powerful tube sibling to it. The Lamm ML1.1.

ok thanks .
                        analog stuff.
                        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                        sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                        new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                        thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                        thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                        kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                        phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                        speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                        mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                        digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                        Dacs lampi various

Comment

Working...
                        X