Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember Stacked Advents? Here's a modern take - Stacked Tekton Lores!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember Stacked Advents? Here's a modern take - Stacked Tekton Lores!

One of the very first high end systems I heard when I was in college was a set of stacked original model Advents driven by a pair of Dynaco ST70s (one channel for each speaker). I still remember the impact it had on my ideas of what a home stereo could do.

With the Double Impacts spending a few days at Russ Stratton's to hear how they do in a bigger room (short take, spectacular), I decided to set up both my old Lores and the new set I was sent for the LA Audio Show. They are currently wired in series, with the Burson amp driving the lower set and some Nordost Flatlines running as jumpers between the two sets.

Other than a little heaviness in the midbass (though slight), small dip at about 188 Hz and another at 75 Hz, it is remarkable what this is doing. This setup seems to fit my room better than the Double Impacts, though they don't go as low. I'll have to run them in parallel to use my Antique Sound Labs amp, as it doesn't like high impedance loads.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stacked tektons.JPG
Views:	680
Size:	713.1 KB
ID:	61279
    Steve Lefkowicz
    Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
    -
    Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
    Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 28, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
    Electronics: DIY passive line-stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
    Speakers: Tekton Perfect SET 15, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
    Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
    Speaker cables: WyWyres Diamond, Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
    Digital cables: Aural Symphonics USB, iFi Gemini twin-head USB.
    Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
    Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Interesting.
    Hugh Nguyen
    ACA

Comment

Interesting, I believe that they will be a touch less transparent parallel. That is what happens when one monos a stereo amp between the two wiring possibilities.

Comment

Another alternative could have been to place them facing the matching channel speaker across the room and wired out of phase. An old "hafler effect' trick that we used to use in installations in bars / public assembly rooms to get better coverage at lower spl's for background music systems, or also just as you stacked them with your choice of tweeter disabled .... party on Garth er Steve!

Comment

I noticed Ken Kessler liked the stacked Falcon Acoustics LS3/5a's that Tim Paravicini had at the Tokyo show .. Along with an original USA R2R copy of the Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band- http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index....okyo-and-paris

Comment

I ran double Advents back in the day with a Phase Linear 700- the first version. I used to smoke tweeters and one time the amp cooked, but Carver fixed it pronto and I had unlimited access to replacement tweeters.
            Apparently old Advents- reconed- are still a commodity in the budget/retro market. I wonder how they'd sound today. Kind of surprised you found love with the Dynaco tube amps and Advents- I had an ST-70 I built back in the day- it was my first amp for the Quads before I could afford ARC stuff--this is early '70s.
            Stacked Quads- there's the bomb. Have neither the room nor a serious inclination to do them, but has always been on my bucket list (before I knew I had a bucket list).
            What was that gum slogan for Doublemint chewing gum, always using matched pairs of blondes? So not PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
              I ran double Advents back in the day with a Phase Linear 700- the first version. I used to smoke tweeters and one time the amp cooked, but Carver fixed it pronto and I had unlimited access to replacement tweeters.
              Apparently old Advents- reconed- are still a commodity in the budget/retro market. I wonder how they'd sound today. Kind of surprised you found love with the Dynaco tube amps and Advents- I had an ST-70 I built back in the day- it was my first amp for the Quads before I could afford ARC stuff--this is early '70s.
              Stacked Quads- there's the bomb. Have neither the room nor a serious inclination to do them, but has always been on my bucket list (before I knew I had a bucket list).
              What was that gum slogan for Doublemint chewing gum, always using matched pairs of blondes? So not PC.
              My brother still runs his early Advents with a Marantz 2230b receiver and loves it. Only "modern" component is a Pro-Ject turntable his wife bought him about 10 years ago. My son borrowed those Advents for his last three years of college, driving them with a mid 70s vintage Luxman integrated amp and his iPod Classic with a docking station. Had the best sounding stereo on campus. Biggest issue with the old Advents is lack of resolution compared to modern speakers. Otherwise they are really nice to listen to.
              Steve Lefkowicz
              Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
              -
              Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
              Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 28, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
              Electronics: DIY passive line-stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
              Speakers: Tekton Perfect SET 15, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
              Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
              Speaker cables: WyWyres Diamond, Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
              Digital cables: Aural Symphonics USB, iFi Gemini twin-head USB.
              Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
              Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Comment

Working...
              X