X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
    Myles it's not just price point it's sound you can listen too that will drive out of the room. Features you want is good but what good is having them if you hate the sound.
    My first thought is a used mytek brooklyn that does all you want in mqa and Fomats. But I very much dislike the mytek sound on pcm always did. But mqa and dsd is better. You would not buy speakers based on just price with out hearing them would you. ???
    Interesting on the Jeckyl and Hyde PCM vs. DSD performance of the Mytek.

Anyone else feel their DAC favors one format over the other? Can one DAC do both formats justice?

Leave a comment:

• Alrainbow
    replied
    Myles it's not just price point it's sound you can listen too that will drive out of the room. Features you want is good but what good is having them if you hate the sound.
    My first thought is a used mytek brooklyn that does all you want in mqa and Fomats. But I very much dislike the mytek sound on pcm always did. But mqa and dsd is better. You would not buy speakers based on just price with out hearing them would you. ???

Leave a comment:

• cpp
    replied
    The Teac UD503 is a pretty good bargain these days;

Leave a comment:

• Alrainbow
    replied
    I am with you in liking mqa but not buying my
    music I stream tidal mqa and reg tidal. To my brain it's an improvment over red book from tidal. I do wonder if tidal just streamed hi Rez if it would be as good or better.
    Your point is mine in mqa being a big factor too.
    Mqa is a hot spot on many forums being it's meridian taking hold of ownership of music.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Lefkowicz
    replied
    After playing with an inexpensive Audioquest Black upgraded to handle MQA, I am starting to be convinced that should be included in any future DAC I might get. Tidal Masters with the AQ Black into my headphones sounds fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• nc42acc
    commented on 's reply
    Most all of the latest DACs can resolve quad DSD (DSD 256) The two DACs I listed below are capable of DSD512 even though there is no native DSD512 material that I know of. Native DSD has a large catalog of DSD256 material and I have noticed it has grown considerably since my first download. Roon on a moderate laptop can upsample to DSD512 if you care to hear what it is capable of, good or bad.

• Alrainbow
    replied
    Myles the DAC choice is important to get the sound you like . a good dac at Any price point that does not have the Sound you like and synergy in your setup is still not good
    Lastly is the source you use . almost no dac less a. Cheap one will sound good without one. Lastly do you plAn to use tidal ? If yes you need a server that can connect to the internet. Quad dac while I feel is a must have yields so few music its not a must unless you plAn to upsample .
    If you explAin your pLanned source and I can better advise you .

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    commented on 's reply
    Actually think there's a couple that do including the latest iDSD SAC. Original did double and latest version does wuad.

• lasercd
    commented on 's reply
    I think its going to be awhile before you see a meaningful inventory of quad DSD material let alone a sub $1k DAC that can process it.

• MylesBAstor
    commented on 's reply
    There's actually more and more especially in the classical realm. A DAC has to do all formats for me anyway. Everyone has a deal breaker. That is mine.

• nc42acc
    replied
    The Oppo Sonica is a great entry DAC at under a grand. The Gustard X20Pro is also a great sounding DAC with a little more polish than the Oppo.

Leave a comment:

• Skylab
    replied
    I have an Oppo Sonica ($800) and I think it's outstanding for the money. It does do DSD64. High end Sabre DAC chipset. All themodern features I require in a DAC like AirPlay, direct USB flash drive input on the front, etc. And in terms of sound quality it definitely rivals my $2500 tube-hybrid AVA DAC. I bought the Sonica mostly for the convenience features but it sounds so good it's my main digital source now. Of course for me digital is still mostly for background listening

Leave a comment:

• Steve Lefkowicz
    replied
    I use the combination of the iDAC2, iUSB3 and an iPurifier2. I believe that comes out to under $1000. The Gemini cable for between the iUSB3 and the iDAC2 might put it slightly above the $1000 mark. If you aren't using a PC with a noisy internal USB system (most are, unfortunately) you could probably get by without the iUSB3. I am very satisfied with this combo.

I've used it with double DSD files, but not quad DSD.

Leave a comment:

• lasercd
    replied
    Why is Quad DSD a requirement? How much music is available in Quad DSD? Is it really that important to hear Jazz At The Pawnshop in digital?

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    started a topic What's Good in Under $1000 DACs?

What's Good in Under $1000 DACs?

iDSD DAC? Any others offering good value and sound? I would think the ability to do Quad-DSD a requirement here.
Working...
X