High Performance to Cost Ratio Speaker Cables

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Performance to Cost Ratio Speaker Cables

I would like to hear from anybody with experience with the Tellurium Q Black 2 specifically or your recommendation of another high value to cost speaker cable you may have come across and actually checked out for yourself. New or used markets included, Thanks! I've been checking out Dueland DCA 12awg thanks to Jeff Day's Western Electric 'tin for tone' research at http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/

Did you have a budget new or used, or just want high performance/high value regardless of price? Used cables are usually had around 50% off retail, which typically opens the options up to more reference grade cables at cheaper prices.

Comment

I hate to limit the field, so lets not because this is in the bang for buck section how ever many bucks you have. Just product that definitely FAR outs performs its price category. I know that the used markets tend to equalize value to performance based on demand but lets see what out there.

Comment

Probably the best thing to do is to find the best bang for the buck in each cable manufacturers' lineup. For example, I'm a Wywires fan. Their Platinum series is the best bang for the buck in their lineup. Going the next model down is a pretty good drop off, but going up the next line to the Diamond series is crazy money. Feel the Wywires is extremely balanced. Not as much of a fan of Cardas and Nordost. A lot of brands/manufacturers out there, so it will be tough to get a consensus.

Comment

While I believe wire makes a difference I take a dim view of the hyperbole (and outrageous pricing).

That said over forty some years I've bought a lot of speaker wire from around $500 and under. Even borrowed a few sets of more expensive wire. A couple of years ago I tried a set of Kimber 12TCs and they had the most marked improvement of anything I had ever tried. No big improvements in the midrange and highs but the improvement in low frequencies was significant. The bass was tighter and seemed to gain an extra half octave down. I compared them to a couple sets I still had, they won handily and I bought them the same day.

What a wire does is somewhat system dependent. My speakers are 8 ohm nominal with benign impedance and phase angle curves. The amp is solid state 200 wpc and will double down into 4. The 12 TCs are about 8 gauge and so have no problem pushing current to the speakers. Whether they would do the same in a radically different system could only be determined by auditioning them in that system.

There are lower cost options from both Kimber (similar design wires) and from virtually every other maker. You have the option of rolling your own. For auditioning if you don't have a local dealer willing to lend wires there is the Cable Company which has what is in effect a "lending library" although it is not free.
          Last edited by Rust; 08-28-2017, 03:16 AM.

Comment

The highest performance to cost ratio speaker cables I've actually played with would be either Canare 4S11 or Belden 5000UE.
            Last edited by Steve Lefkowicz; 08-28-2017, 12:22 AM. Reason: Sorry, misread the actually models beign discussed.
            Steve Lefkowicz
            Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
            --------------------------------------------------------
            http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lefkowicz View Post
              The highest performance to cost ratio speaker cables I've actually played with would be either Canare 4S11 or Belden 5000UE.
              Interesting as I have had good luck using Belden 12 gauge tin coated wire years ago because I had it left over from a job, but I wouldn't consider it to have extended range for hifi without tone controls on a preamp. I have not tried but heard good things about Anticables although their Level 5 is both high performance and higher cost (relatively).

Comment

Originally posted by Spla'nin View Post

Interesting as I have had good luck using Belden 12 gauge tin coated wire years ago because I had it left over from a job, but I wouldn't consider it to have extended range for hifi without tone controls on a preamp. I have not tried but heard good things about Anticables although their Level 5 is both high performance and higher cost (relatively).
                Really? Here's the spec sheet for Belden 5000UE. Explain why it wouldn't be good as a low cost speaker cable? The pair I built up for a friend's system sounded fine. No tone controls needed.
                https://www.belden.com/techdatas/english/5000UE.pdf

Steve Lefkowicz
                Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                --------------------------------------------------------
                http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
                  Steve Lefkowicz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  in my system I usually use either Morrow SP4 (very high value) or Vermouth Audio Red Velvet. I have used Belden 5000UE when setting up low cost systems for friends. In a system where the total cost is targeted to be around $1000 to $1500 to include both analog and digital, Belden 5000UE at 62 cents a foot from Blue Jeans Cable seems both appropriate and a good choice. I prefer Canare 4S11 (recommended by Benchmark for use with their ABH2 amp) for low cost cable (about $1.25 to $1.65 a foot depending on where you but it) but it can be a little stiff for some setups.

It does our industry no good to scare people away from their first systems by getting silly with things that may not be necessary at that point. If I would have told this friend that a third of her budget would have to go for cables, maybe meaning giving up on the turntable or proper speaker stands, she probably would have decided against getting a system altogether. Now she has a system that sounds really nice (best she's ever had) and that she uses every day. I'm not sure her $300 speakers would benefit too much from better cables. I noticed very little difference when I set her system up at my house to check it out between the Canare and my other cables (much less difference than I hear in my own system). I didn't have the Belden at home to try. when we first set up at her house, I loaned her some Audioquest Type 4 I had (about $200) and when I swapped them out for the Beldens, she didn't hear any difference (the important part). The difference I heard was small enough that I felt it best not to make an issue of it.

• Rob
                  Rob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Steve, great post.

• Spla'nin
                  Spla'nin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Doug Schoeder from Dagogo https://www.dagogo.com/pureaudioproj...aker-review/2/ shared his discovery of an OFC/silver 12AWG speaker wire that punches far above it weight/price made in china that Radio Shack carries. It reminds me of the Phoenix Gold ARx IC's that Myles found long ago and far away ...

The best bang for buck I've used are the cables from Signal Cable. I recently bought the Silver Resolution 1m rca>rca phono cable with Neutrik ProFi connectors. ($ 130) I got it have a phono cable that's rca to rca to have around, if needed. I'm listening to it between my CDP and preamp right now. Shocked how good it is.
                I'm going to order a pair of the same, only interconnects with new version of the Silver bullet connectors to try next.
                SOURCE: VINYL -VPI HR-X, 12.7 arm, ADS - Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Benz LPS-mr. DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/dac. PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2. AMPLIFIER: Audionet AMP monoblocks. SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures w/ YG binding post upgrade. CABLES: Audioquest and Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

• Rob
                  Rob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  their product range looks interesting and for the money they use really good material. its also good to see a boutique mfr state electrical characteristics (inductance, capacitance, loop resistance, etc)

My vote for highest cost/performance speaker cables goes to Purist Audio Design Neptune series cables. They smash the ball out of the park in their price range. A 2 meter pair will cost you about $2900US msrp before any discounts.

My friend who owns Marten Coltrane 3's, Absolare SET amps, CMS Maxxum racks & top flight cables, including several pieces of Neptune had this to say..."Neptunes are all that . They are rich through the midrange , good bass, airy and sweet top end and startling spaciousness and clarity without any grain or treble fatigue. My current favorites in my system. I also have Siltech Triple Crown, Jorma Origo and some Tara Labs."

I plan on ordering several pieces myself in the near future .
                Front End: Vitus SCD-025 Mk2, Oppo BPD-103 Amp: Vitus SIA-025 Speakers: Magico S5 Mk2 Isolation: Taoc ASR series racks, Taoc SCB-RS-HC50G, Stillpoints Ultra 6's + Bases/Mini's/LPI's AC Power: Furutech GTX-D(G), Gigawatt PC-3 SE Evo, Jorma Prime pc's (re-terminated with cryo'd Oyaide M1/F1’s), Jorma Unity pc (re-terminated with Oyaide P-004/C-004’s) Cables: Jorma Prime xlr's + Statement sc's, Siltech Classic Anniversary rca's + HDMI Tweaks: Acoustic Revive (various), Akiko E-tuning Gold MkII

Comment

Wireworld

Interconnects start at $20 but I am liking the Eclipse 7 1m interconnect = $450

Speaker cables start at $28 for an 8' pair,. I like the Eclipse7, 8' = $1550

High performance for the cost! Interesting geometry for the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Beron View Post
                    Wireworld

I fully concur on the Eclipse 7 for the speaker cables. In my system, I tested 7 cables. The cheapest one was the Eclispe 6 (the previous generation) and the only copper cable of the set I tested. All the other cables were silver ones : Argento Flow and Serenity, Wireworld Gold and Silver, Artec and Audioquest.

As all my interconnect cables are Argento Flow, I really thought that I had to go for a complete loom of Argento Flow cables. Cost was not an issue and I was ready to plunk a lot of dough. My dealer was more reasonable and proposed to perform an extensive comparative testing. He came with all the cables. We spent two long evenings and proceeded by elemination.

We took a base reference to start with: a cheap Monster Z2B biwire. At the end of the confrontation, my dealer came to the same conclusion than me. In my system, the Eclipse 6 loudspeakers cables were bringing the best balance. All the silver cables brought some harhness. One silver cable (Argento Serenity) was not even better than the cheap Monster cable.

I strongly believe that cables are system dependent but all I can say is that I saved a lot of money that day.

Comment

I've listened to so many cables and shown the UHA decks with so many different cables....

The Nordost Odins, the Tara Labs Grandmaster Evolution, The Siltech Triple Crown, all wonderful sounding cables to be certain, however as all great things in this world, they come at a premium.

But the Wireworld Eclipse7 as you said, just bring a great balance.

Between sound stage and tonality they seem to get out of the way of the music, like much more costly cables.

At the price whats not to like...

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Beron View Post
                        Wireworld

Interconnects start at $20 but I am liking the Eclipse 7 1m interconnect = $450

I went from MIT AVT MA to Eclipse 7 Speaker cables and they absolutely made my ears bleed.... Had to sell them within a month and move back to MIT. I compared them with big Floorstanding speakers and there, the upper midrange glare was not so disturbing but going to compact speakers it became unlistenable. The eclipse 7 are awesome if you have a warm sounding system that needs dynamics and a kick up the butt. Otherwise proceed with caution....

Reading your Comments on the Eclipse7 I think it all comes down to what you compare them too and System synergy. Sorry to say they did not work for me...

Comment

Working...
                        X