My son's system, finally set up.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My son's system, finally set up.

Okay, my son's system is finally all set up. Had issues in so far as we couldn't put up a wall shelf for the turntable due to the wall behind the system being drywall over cinder block. The table sits on an IKEA Kallax now. But here it is:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Austin and his system.jpg Views:	1 Size:	651.9 KB ID:	82021

The gate is now properly anchored to the walls so his dog can't get to it. The gate allows easy access for him to ge tto the turntable in the corner.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Austin dusting a record.jpg Views:	1 Size:	565.2 KB ID:	82022
    The turntable is turned that way to relieve strain on the power cord and the interconnect attached to the back. It also allows him easy access when outside the gate. I ended up using a 6 foot Audioquest Evergreen cable, to which I had to add a ground wire. That is a new Audioquest brush. Naturally, he selected Jack Johnson for his first record to play on his new system.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Austin's amp.jpg Views:	1 Size:	947.6 KB ID:	82023

Here are the Samsung i3 notebook (still on Win 8 for some reason), Schiit Audio Modi 2 Uber DAC and Luxman L-80v integrated amp. The Lux has an excellent phono stage for MM cartridges, and actually allows for connecting two tables, though I don't think he's planning on either two tables or adding a second arm to his Music Hall mmf-2.3SE table!

Although he has over 10,000 tracks in an iTunes library on this PC, he has little interest in it, and will primarily use Spotify Premium and Tidal HiFi for listening. He only has about 50 or 60 records right now, but will be getting a Record Doctor V cleaner soon and then will start hitting the used record shops to build his collection.

The small Direct Acoustics Silent Speakers still sound wonderful, and are an excellent choice for a system like this, since they are designed to be placed near the wall. I tuned the bass by lifting them up with a hockey puck under each foot. It may be a little heavy in the 40 to 80 Hz range, but for the style of music he prefers (modern reggae, mellow Jack Johnson type songwriter stuff, classic rock, and modern pop/alternative rock) it works quite nicely. Though this original version were only $511/pair including shipping back in 2006, the new version (available from and built by Human Speakers) is about $995, though they are apparently much better built now, and Human Speaker builds their own drivers for them.

The Luxman, as good as it sounds, still reminds me why I never recommend vintage hear to a newcomer or for a first system. Though we got it for free from a fellow Positive Feedback contributor, we have sunk about $600 into repairs on it in the last few years. Next time it fails he will replace it with something new. I already have an extra iFi iPhono for him if whatever new amp he gets doesn't have a phono stage built in.

He just needs to set up his xBox and he be all done.
    Last edited by Steve Lefkowicz; 03-10-2018, 11:56 PM.
    Steve Lefkowicz
    Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
    --------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Looks great! Thanks for sharing your experience on the Luxman vintage integrated. I've never owned a vintage piece of gear, and am always hesitant to do so based on the repair expenses that you experienced in case something goes wrong. I really wanted to get a Marantz vintage tuner, but always afraid to do so. Not sure if certain pieces of vintage gear (tuners vs. amps) or certain manufacturers (Luxman vs. Marantz, etc) cost more for repairs. Any advice on this?

Comment

how lucky is your son with an audiophile dad that knows what to hook him up with
      How Do You Beat Audiophile Nervosa?

Step Number 1: Upgrade your music collection first. If you do it correctly that should keep you busy in perpetuity.

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
        Steve Lefkowicz commented
        Editing a comment
        We should all be doing this for our friends and family members. It is one way to help spread the word and include the next generation. It is also one reason I never sell any of my old gear. I always have something handy to loan out or set up for someone to try.

Originally posted by Analog21 View Post
      Looks great! Thanks for sharing your experience on the Luxman vintage integrated. I've never owned a vintage piece of gear, and am always hesitant to do so based on the repair expenses that you experienced in case something goes wrong. I really wanted to get a Marantz vintage tuner, but always afraid to do so. Not sure if certain pieces of vintage gear (tuners vs. amps) or certain manufacturers (Luxman vs. Marantz, etc) cost more for repairs. Any advice on this?
      The tough part is finding people who actually know what it is to work on it. There is a great vintage shop in Syracuse, NY (HIonFi) where we had it worked on a few times when he was in College at SU (aged caps and some solder joints that failed too. Last time I had the guy that builds the boards for ampsandsound here in SoCal repair it. It has been worth it so far, as the Luxman really sounds nice, and has a great MM phono stage.

When I shipped the speakers to Florida from here, both tweeters were damaged, and that model from Peerless is OoP and doesn't have a direct replacement. Fortunately, I was able to repair them myself and they were fine fine now. But still, next time they have a failure he'll probably be looking for new speakers, though I have a set of Syracuse Orange Lores for him here.

At least for newcomers, or people who primarily want to listen to music, and not necessarily play with gear, I always suggest staying away from used and especially older vintage gear. That is a hobby separate unto itself.
      Steve Lefkowicz
      Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
      --------------------------------------------------------
      http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Working...
      X