Detailed Heedphones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailed Heedphones

I could use suggestions from those of you familiar with headphones. I am not. I need a pair of headphones (closed or open) that are highly revealing and detailed for my recording work. I'm not looking for gorgeous or lovely. I'm looking for revealing, neutral yet musical. Not bright. I would appreciate hearing from those who have compared headphones and had experience. Judging a recording using headphones is a bear. Thanks in advance. And I'll worry about price. Just need something that fits the bill.
    JLH

Hey Jonathan - Based on your description of what you’re looking for, the Sennheiser HD-800 would seem to be a very good match to what you’re looking for. I actually found them just a little ruthless for my taste for pleasure music listening - but that might be just right for what you want.

Here is my review on head-fi of the original HD-800 model: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/revi...hd-800.432103/
    TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
    DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
      jonathanhorwich commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much. This is very helpful. Jonathan

• jonathanhorwich
      Editing a comment
      Did Sennheiser ever fix the elevated treble response of the HD-800's you describe in your review?

• Skylab
      Skylab commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, the current version is more balanced, but I still consider it to be revealing versus mellow.

don't forget youll need a very high quality headphone amp to drive whatever phones you get
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Phones, Headroom Max balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Hd800 are not ruthless they are honest but do need the amp to sound balanced . As for sound they are a balanced but have a type of sound. I'll post later today more.
      speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
      mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
      digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
      Dacs lampi various

Comment

check out the Raal Requisite SR1a, I heard them at canjam Socal. A new high water mark IMO. The first cans i've heard that match or exceed the SQ found in Stax and Audeze, etc.

https://audio-head.com/raal-requisit...am-socal-2019/

Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D Lino C | innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for this. Jonathan

I still really like my Audeze LCD-3s. The are as neutral as any headphone I have heard. They aren’t the most practical since they require a well powered amp capable of driving low impedance cans but if you have one of those the combination is excellent.
        Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
          Editing a comment
          Thank you and very helpful. Jonathan

Originally posted by Rob View Post
        check out the Raal Requisite SR1a, I heard them at canjam Socal. A new high water mark IMO. The first cans i've heard that match or exceed the SQ found in Stax and Audeze, etc.

https://audio-head.com/raal-requisit...am-socal-2019/

The Raal's look very interesting. I've been a fan of the AKG K-1000 and was thinking of getting a used pair (which go for about $1K used if in excellent condition). So, I already like the open sounding ear "speaker" concept.

The Raal's also must be powered by a conventional amplifier, but I don't see that as a big issue.

I've wanted to try an electrostat like Stax but I would expect the Raal's true ribbon to be in a similar class. I have not been totally enamoured with the planar magnetics... Does anyone here on Audio Nirvana have a pair of the Raal's?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post

The Raal's look very interesting. I've been a fan of the AKG K-1000 and was thinking of getting a used pair (which go for about $1K used if in excellent condition). So, I already like the open sounding ear "speaker" concept.

The Raal's also must be powered by a conventional amplifier, but I don't see that as a big issue.

I've wanted to try an electrostat like Stax but I would expect the Raal's true ribbon to be in a similar class. I have not been totally enamoured with the planar magnetics... Does anyone here on Audio Nirvana have a pair of the Raal's?
          Jude of HeadFi says he's always fancied a pr of AKG K-1000s since hearing the Raal he's lost the lust. Raals are the headfi equivalent of Apogee Scintillas, they come with an interface box packed with power resistors s they're drivable with 'normal' amps. Jason Stoddard has a prototype amp running for the Raal which may become a future Schiit product.
          Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D Lino C | innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Comment

Working...
          X