Headphones To Be Used Without Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphones To Be Used Without Amp

Anyone here listen to headphones directly from their R2R machines? If so which cans are you using?

Yes, for my kind of work, and I'm not recommending them for audiophile listening, the Shure SRH 1840's. Very neutral, very studio/pro oriented. If you need to quality control your work, check this or that by plugging directly into something like a deck, and it is not for long listening sessions, they are excellent.
    JLH

Comment

Well thanks for that Jonathan, would you happen to know the output value of most decks headphone jack? I want to be sure that the headphones I get don't require an amp?

Comment

Sorry I don't but I would imagine it varies. I do know the Shure work with every deck and piece of equipment I've tried.
        JLH

Comment

I would think most tape decks’ headphone outs would power almost any headphone available today to ear splitting levels, with the possible exception of some of the planar and electrostatic headphones. My Studer A807 for example has a headphone output of a max of 5 VOLTS! That’s a LOT for a headphone - many dedicated headphone amps don’t provide nearly that much output.
          TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
          VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
          DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
          SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
          AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

I wouldn't be concerned with the quantity of output on a tape deck headphone amp, I'd be more concerned with the quality of the output.
            Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
              jonathanhorwich commented
              Editing a comment
              Absolutely correct. Most headphone outputs on decks are afterthoughts by the manufacture.

Any tape deck might be ok given the headphones meet the amps specs. My otari is ok using a few I have. But having said this it's not any where close to using an ext amp. Headphones are more complex then speakers in some ways. Most all don't have a cross over and the imp varies greatly. As such a take deck while is ok may not yield good results. If you have the specs on the tape deck amp specs I could help some.
            if the deck has a high output imp above 2 ohms it can't be used with a headphone who has has a low imp of say 8 ohms. A 5 to one ratio is a guide so 2 ohms yields 10 ohms. The imp mismatch effects the freq bal.
            next is the power it outputs at a given imp headphone.
            also to make it worse many decks and headphone amps put a series resistor in series with the output. It's used for protection. My mytek had one lol. This kills dynamics. I had them bypass mine at there place in Brooklyn. Nice people. The look on there face after this was done was funny.
            analog stuff.
            otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
            otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
            sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
            new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
            thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
            thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
            kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
            phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
            speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
            mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
            digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

Working...
            X