Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What model studio headphones are you using?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use Audeze LCD-XC. Their combination of clarity, warmth, and isolation is hard to beat. Plus, they are mighty good looking, too!

DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB13 Ultra sub; PrimaLuna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Oppo 105 Blu-ray player; Audeze LCD-XC headphones; VPI Scout 1.1 turntable/Ortofon 2m Black cartridge

Comment

Originally posted by TubeMan View Post
      I use Audeze LCD-XC. Their combination of clarity, warmth, and isolation is hard to beat. Plus, they are mighty good looking, too!

Are they comfortable to wear for any length of time?
      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Sennheiser HD 600 (just an all around good headphone)
        Mr Speakers Ether C Flow Closed back. (very comfortable)
        Feed by Woo Audio WA6se and Ayre Codex
        Last edited by cpp; 12-17-2016, 08:21 AM.
        Chris
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5 or W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e22Mkll, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se, HD800, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow, Kimber cables

Comment

I have to say that the Audeze LCD-X is hard to beat especially with the new diaphragm mods. I found it it gave me the best balance to use as a reference when designing headphone amplifiers.
          I found that a lot of the so called short comings aimed at the LCD-X usually can be traced back to its partnering amplifier.
          The LCD-XC is great also but I find it a bit heavy and the bass a trifle full but otherwise outstanding but it comes down to personal preference.
          The HD-800 also gets a bad rap sometimes and even though it might be slightly light in the bass department it needs a good amplifier.

Comment

Audeze Sine, Audioquest Nighthawk, Grado PS500

My dream headphones are the Sonoma Model Ones, Ether Cs and Stax SL700s.

Comment

I use the AudioQuest NightHawk headphones into a PS Audio Sprout for my desktop computer system which I use about 4-8 hours a day. A Sony 55" 4K monitor and computer with high performance graphics card provides impressive video. The NightHawk is so comfortable, I can wear them for hours and forget they are there. An amazing system for little cost. The new Oppo UDP-203 4K Ultra HD universal player will arrive any day now to be the new audio and video source for this system.
              Reference Room 1, Reference Room 2, Office System

Comment

Senn HD600 w/HD650 cable. Using RSA OTL headphone amp. I feed the amp using the tape output from my preamp.

Comment

I use Hifiman HE-500s with a Moon Silver Dragon cable into a Project Ember amp. Having two pair of maggies convinced me planar was the way to go.

Comment

Lovely headphones, I use the same ones and they are my favourite so far, loved the Sennheiser HD800's but these are my preference. partnered with Meridian and Schiit Audio great sounding combination.
                    Hi-Fi
                    ProAc Response K6 Speakers - McIntosh Labs MA8000 - Mytek Brooklyn DAC - Aurender N100H Music Server - Cyrus CDi Player - Cyrus Signature Phono stage - Clearaudio Concept Wood Turntable, Concept MC Cartridge - Nordost Quantum Q4 - Chord Cables Signature USB - Transparent Ultra Gen5 Speaker cables - Transparent Power cables...
                    Headphone Listening
                    Audeze LCD-XC Headphones - Audeze iSine10 In Ear - Schiit Audio Jotunheim Headphone Amplifier - Meridian Explorer2 DAC - AXIOS Cables...

Comment

HiFiman HE1000
                      Sennheiser Momentum for the train (w/ Pono)

Cavalli liquid gold
                      MicroZOTL

Comment

I'm not a headphone listener but I was excited my 26 year old daughter asked for headphones for Christmas as a move up from her earbuds. She said she went to Fry's and listened to about a half dozen pair and thought the Sennenheiser Momentum 2s sounded the best. We got them for her so I tried them and they were surprisingly good sounding and comfortable. Guess she learned something living with me all those years
                        Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

I don't use headphones anymore but this "thing" that we put on a head of my friend Will in Munich High-End show (actually it was in Marriott) was thought provoking....

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010588.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	55367

Name:	P1010587.jpg
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	55368

Name:	P1010589.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	55369
                          Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: conrad-johnson GAT Series 2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART; Speakers: Avalon Time; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Signature & Thor SE; Cable system: Cardas Clear & Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power conditioner: P.I.Audio: UberBuss with Furutech FI-E30 NCF; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

I have two different headphone setups.

My every day listening rig is a pair of HiFi Man HE-400S headphones driven by a Schiit Lyr 2 headphone amp with NOS National 7DJ8 tubes. The Lyr 2 is driven by a Schiit Modi Multibit DAC. This has to be one of the worlds most over performing pieces of audio gear. The cost vs performance of this little DAC is absurd. It will hold its own against DACS that cost much more. The DAC is fed its USB input via a Schiit Wyrd USB Decrapper (their name not mine) and all of that is driven by a Toshiba laptop. All USB cables are Pangea silver USB cables (2 x 0.5m Pure Silver USB cables) and the IC from the DAC to the Lyr 2 is a 0.5m Kimber Hero w/WBT connectors.

Most of the pieces of gear in this first setup punch way above its price point. The headphones have gotten some press and rightly so. The Lyr 2 is a superb headphone amp that can drive anything you can name. Six watts per channel of ultra clean single ended Mosfet power with a set of 6922 type tubes driving the Mosfets. The Lyr 2 is Schiit's best single ended headphone amp. They make 2 models that are higher on their product list but both are balanced units that support single ended cans. You have to read the specs carefully. If you want a high powered single ended headphone amp this is Schiit's best. The ability of rolling 6922s makes for a great little amp. No hesitations on recommending this amp.

My other setup is one that needs help. My Main listening rig has a pair of Stax Lambda Pro earspeakers with the original SRM1/MkII driver. The driver needs help or replacement. I am still deciding what to do with this setup but I'm in no hurry. I listen to my main rig via speakers almost exclusively.
                            Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof.
                            https://www.edsstuff.org
                            VPI Prime (3 Belt Drive, VPI Dual Pivot, VPI ADS, Ortofon Quintet Black S, Tru-Lift, AQ Leopard, Liberty Audio B2B-1) : Kimber Hero : *Audible Illusions L1 : *Adcom GFA-555II : Kimber 8TC : Magnepan MGMC1 : TASCAM UH-7000 : Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai : NAD 446 : Stax Lambda Pro : Denon DP-62L : Schiit Lyr 2 : Schiit Modi Multibit : Schiit Wyrd : HiFi Man HE-400S
                            *Modified/Customized Component

Comment

Working...
                            X