Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a Good Under $1000 Headphone Amp?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have something called a Headroom Balanced - using Senheisser 650's with a Cardas balanced cable.....hard to believe anything could be much better. Have had this for years

Comment

Headroom pretty much invented the headphone amp, no?

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
        Are all of the very best headphone amps tube based?
        Absolutely not although some any lay claim to it being so.

Comment

For anyone asking for a headphone amp it's just more complex then price and clIming it's good value . Some headphones have requirements that if not met make for a less than optimal sound . In practicality a speaker amp can be fine being high or low power type . If hiss is heard a very simple three resister network removes the hiss. This method also may help in headphones that require a higher imp output .
          A better question is what level kind of headphone you have , how much details or type of detail you want.

like speakers and even more important an amp matching the needs is very important . Consider this put your speakers up to your ears and play low . You would be surprised what noises you may hear that get lost over a distance . Hiss and hum are just a start . Ifi and cypher audio make some good mobile ones
          sennheiser makes an excellent amp hdvd600. But even those fail at certain headphones

Comment

Originally posted by Asamel View Post
            It retails for just over $1000 but...
            +1! Heard a few headphones with this pre/headphone amp and it sounded wonderful.
            Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

Myles go used as a way to get better for less too .

Comment

The Woo Audio WA-6 is nice sounding......look great with the Sophia tube.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wa6_prod.jpg Views:	1 Size:	18.4 KB ID:	42700
                Jeff Whitlock
                A/V Solutions /
                Unity Audio Design
                www.avsolutionsca.com
                www.unityaudiodesign.com

Comment

• cpp
                  cpp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do like mine

Originally posted by A/V Solutions View Post
                The Woo Audio WA-6 is nice sounding......look great with the Sophia tube.

Click image for larger version Name:	wa6_prod.jpg Views:	1 Size:	18.4 KB ID:	42700
                Woo makes some of the best Amps made. I wo a woo Wes and a woo wa5. Great amps. Also a BHSE as well

Comment

I have used a Ray Samules Rator OTL for years. About$1000. It fairs best with higher impedence phones. I'm using Sennheiser HD600's, 300 ohm. You can tube roll if that's your thing. I like it because it's a no bs amp from a no bs headphone amp designer. If I replace it it will be with a Sim HA430 to use as a preamp/headphone amp in my tv system.

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                    For anyone asking for a headphone amp it's just more complex then price and clIming it's good value . Some headphones have requirements that if not met make for a less than optimal sound . In practicality a speaker amp can be fine being high or low power type . If hiss is heard a very simple three resister network removes the hiss. This method also may help in headphones that require a higher imp output .
                    A better question is what level kind of headphone you have , how much details or type of detail you want.

like speakers and even more important an amp matching the needs is very important . Consider this put your speakers up to your ears and play low . You would be surprised what noises you may hear that get lost over a distance . Hiss and hum are just a start . Ifi and cypher audio make some good mobile ones
                    sennheiser makes an excellent amp hdvd600. But even those fail at certain headphones
                    Would you suggest checking with the headphone amp manufacturer for suggestions before buying headphones Al?
                    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges, van den Hul Colibri Stradivarius; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Lol god no funny thing is the makers don't always know what's good or not
                      jack woo is one who does more than some as he sells headphones too.
                      Myles you are Ina great position having the best available source materials I think you should go with a a very detailed headphone like hd800 with the right amp
                      you will be flawed hiw good you're music is upclose
                      a less detailed or rolled back a bit is the LCD 3/ or x less fatiguing
                      a tube amp has its merits in rolling but unless you but an amp that can rolls varying types like woo we234
                      you only have one kind
                      300 b mostly and a 300 be is a bit bloated in bass so fairs better Ina hyper detailed headphone more than the LCD line
                      hifiman new he1000 is a nice headphone in between hyper and recessed

Comment

Rogue has a new headphone amp out shortly. It's being shown at Command Performance AV in Falls Church this weekend as part of the DC audio group.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Would you suggest checking with the headphone amp manufacturer for suggestions before buying headphones Al?
                          I tell ya Myles you call Woo, and tell them which headphone and they will mate you with the amp you need. I run a HD800s, a HD600 and a Mr Speaker Ether C Flow from both of my Woo's and they perform, and you can even roll your tubes if you like.
                          Chris

Comment

The WA-6 is a great looking headphone amp, you can roll in almost any 5 volt rectifier. The 6EW7 should be a better match than the 6DE7 for low impedance headphones, but as always, I would check with the manufacturer first. Woo has apparently built their amps with a lot of flexibility for tube rolling. Anytime you change the rectifier, you should re-roll the driver tubes, which you have and vise-versa.

Comment

The Schiit Audio Jotunheim is an excellent Headphone Amplifier and I am using in conjunction with a Meridian DAC, great combination and great performance to price ratio, their is probably better but I have found this combination to work really well with my Audeze LCD-XC Headphones and any other headphones I have tried on them.
                              Hi-Fi
                              ProAc Response K6 Speakers - Martin Logan BalancedForce 212 Subwoofer - McIntosh Labs MA8000 - Mytek Brooklyn DAC - Aurender N100H Music Server - Cyrus CDi Player - Cyrus Signature Phono stage - Clearaudio Concept Wood Turntable, Concept MC Cartridge - Nordost Quantum Q4 - Transparent Ultra Gen5 Speaker cables - Transparent Power cables...

Headphone Listening
                              Audeze LCD-XC Headphones - Schiit Audio Jotunheim Headphone Amplifier - Meridian Explorer2 DAC - AXIOS Cables...

Comment

Working...
                              X