Favorite Combinations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Combinations

I’ve owned and or listened to lots of different headphones and headphone amps over the past 7-8 years. Here are some of my favorite combinations, including what I own now and use as a point of refererence. Brief comments have been included where appropriate. In no particular order:

Fostex TH900 with Woo Audio WA6-SE, as close as you can get to Stax 009’s without going electrostatic
    Mr. Speakers Ethers with Woo Audio W6-SE or Pass Labs HPA-1, best planar magnetic sound even compared to the Abyss headphones and the Cavalli Liquid Gold amp
    HiFiMan HE-1000’s with Red Wine Audio Corvina, overall favorite combination for mastering and developing DSP software
    Stax 507s and Woo Audio GES, personal overall favorite for just plain listening even compared to the Stax 007s and the Woo Audio WES; have not heard the Stax 009s or Stax L700s in my own system for long enough to decide on those yet

Abyss headphones and either Cavalli Liquid Gold or Woo Audio WA5-LE, very disappointed pesonally but definitely the right thing if you get into lots of air and ambience as one might find with Spectral electronics and Quad or Magneplanar loudspeakers
    Focal Utopias and really any amp, really shockingly well made, but lacking in some intangible quality not unlike the Sennheiser HD800 headphones; hard to listen to for more than a few minutes at a time

Ultrasone Edition 8’s, best overall headphones for portable electronics with or without an amp; next best thing is a cross between the HiFiMan Edition X’s and Beyerdynamic T5p’s, the X’s having more detail and the T5p’s being closed

ALO Audio Connosieur (original version), best overall portable headphone amp followed not too far behind by the Ray Samuels Audio SR-71B

AKG K701’s and Cavalli Liquid Gold, bizarrely amazing combination

And for the finale ...

Joseph Grado Signature headphones with Melos SHA-1 headphone amp, reaching back to the 90’s, still the closest overall purity of midrange I have heard in comparison to my old Quad ESL-63’s
    Transrotor Rossini Turntable w/Jelco SA-750DB
    Audio Note Io Gold Cart. w/AN-S9 SUT
    Audio Note CDT-Four Transport/Woo WDS-1 DAC
    Ayre QX-5 Twenty Dig. Hub & 13” MacBook Pro w/Roon w/Melco N1A NAS
    AN OTO Phono SE Signature Int. Amp w/AN-E SEC Silver Speakers w/Murata Super Tweeters
    Purple J-Corder 1520 R2R and Nakamichi Dragon Cassette Deck
    PSAudio P10 AC Regen./Equi=Tech Bal. Transformer
    Harmonic Technology, Audio Note, Kondo Sound Labs, Stealth, AQ Cables
    Woo GES w/Sfax SR-507 Headphones

in 2012 i owned the BHSE and 009's.......fantastic. waited 14 months for the BHSE, and the 009's had just debuted. if i were to ever return to headphones no hesitation.....that would be my choice.

competed with high level speakers in musical enjoyment.

Comment

• tom_hankins
      tom_hankins commented
      Editing a comment
      This combo is truly the top of the mountain. The Dynamic headphone combo that I thought came close was the Sony R10 with the early Singlepower Balanced SDS amplifier. (before SP started robbing everybody)

Favorite Combination
    Rum and Coke

Comment

Yes, I’ve heard great things about the Blue Hawaii SE and the 009’s although I’ve never got to hear the combination myself. I don’t see why one has to choose between headphones and speakers anymore than you have to choose between analog and digital. I also like the kind of obscure oBravo HAMT-1’s with the Woo Audio WA5-LE. Never been fond of rum and Coke, too sweet for my tastes ...
      AN OTO Phono SE Signature Int. Amp w/AN-E SEC Silver Speakers w/Murata Super Tweeters

Comment

Mr. Speakers Ethers C Flow with Woo Audio W6-SE
        Chris
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e22Mkll, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se, HD800, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

A great combination is any 300-600 ohm Beyer or Sennheiser with an ampsandsound Kenzie headphone amp. That has both 32 and 600 ohm headphones jacks, and is far and away the best I've heard with my 600 ohm DT770Pro headphones. Their Mogwai headphone amp is a very close second.

http://ampsandsound.com/products/headphone-amps/

If you have really efficient speakers, the Mogwai also puts out about 3 to 4 watts into an 8 ohm load. It was maybe the best amp I've ever used with my Tekton Lores.
          Steve Lefkowicz
          Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
          --------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

I don’t have a lot to compare to but I can hardly imagine a better experience than my Tron Antares amp with Focal Utopia and Sennheiser H800S.
            Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III Speakers - 300B Monoblocks - TW Acustic RLS-100 Line Stage - TW Acustic RPS-100 Phono Stage - TW Acustic Raven AC with (2) 10.5 Arms and Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades - Ortofon A-95 and Miyajima Zero - Playback Designs MP-5 to a Bricasti M1 DAC for SACD (DSD) and Redbook - Tascam 42B Refurbished - (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6's - Custom Furutech Power Cords, Interconnects and Speaker Cables - VPI 16.5 RCM

Comment

A few questions have you ever heard the woo WA5 ?
              i own a BHSE AND WOO WES honestly the Wes wins
              for me the tube compliment makes for a setup for what i like.
              As for headphones stax 009 yields much better clarity in fac if you go from them to the 007 they seem blurry a bit. But I get why a little less details some may like.
              I onwed the famed he1 for a short while and also the little he60. Those I kept very close to the exp ones. I have not heard the new ones honestly not looking to.
              As for other to me the HE6 was hifi mama best and the new he1000 has a bit of a mid recess to me but again maybe it’s what I like
              the Abyss I never liked just don’t have meat 🥩 I heard them many times. The Caveli line has noise floor issues or maybe it was the setups I heard.
              The hd800 are the best of Sennheiser asside of the Stats
              of you feel there harsh this means your not setting them up right fees them from a great high imp amp and source hands down a magnificent sounding headphone. But clearly it’s not all me view as the hd800s sell fast for me they ruined the air of the headphone
              no pass amp I ever heard I loved they are just too tuby or warm.
              Some of the other ones you mentioned are nice
              how do you feel about ausdezee ??
              Plesee don’t take offeknse to my views there are afterall just views.
              Now as I love headphones I cannot say speakers are not better. Perhaps my speakers are just too big to compare to headphones
              what dac do you use and source ?

Comment

• tom_hankins
                tom_hankins commented
                Editing a comment
                I had the WA5 for several days when a friend was reviewing it. It was just ok to me, never heard the LE model or better tubes in it though.. I agree the WES is very good with 009 too.

Originally posted by Steve Lefkowicz View Post
              A great combination is any 300-600 ohm Beyer or Sennheiser with an ampsandsound Kenzie headphone amp. That has both 32 and 600 ohm headphones jacks, and is far and away the best I've heard with my 600 ohm DT770Pro headphones. Their Mogwai headphone amp is a very close second.

http://ampsandsound.com/products/headphone-amps/

If you have really efficient speakers, the Mogwai also puts out about 3 to 4 watts into an 8 ohm load. It was maybe the best amp I've ever used with my Tekton Lores.
              Interesting. Nice kind of retro look. 2-3 of the Woo amps can be equipped to drive speakers. In fact, I used the same NOS Western Electric 300B’s in my WA5-LE that I had in my Audio Note Meishu.

Comment

Originally posted by timztunz View Post
                I don’t have a lot to compare to but I can hardly imagine a better experience than my Tron Antares amp with Focal Utopia and Sennheiser H800S.
                The amp reminds me a little of the Pass HPA-1. I don’t know why, but I’m just not that fond of the Focal or Sennheisers. I own a pair of Elears but have been waiting months now to get a replacement driver when my left one blew for no apparent reason. My favorite Sennheisers in terms of sound were the HD700’s, but the earcuos were too small for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo View Post

The amp reminds me a little of the Pass HPA-1. I don’t know why, but I’m just not that fond of the Focal or Sennheisers. I own a pair of Elears but have been waiting months now to get a replacement driver when my left one blew for no apparent reason. My favorite Sennheisers in terms of sound were the HD700’s, but the earcuos were too small for me.
                  Yes, we clearly have different preferences.
                  Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III Speakers - 300B Monoblocks - TW Acustic RLS-100 Line Stage - TW Acustic RPS-100 Phono Stage - TW Acustic Raven AC with (2) 10.5 Arms and Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades - Ortofon A-95 and Miyajima Zero - Playback Designs MP-5 to a Bricasti M1 DAC for SACD (DSD) and Redbook - Tascam 42B Refurbished - (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6's - Custom Furutech Power Cords, Interconnects and Speaker Cables - VPI 16.5 RCM

Comment

I own many pairs of nos and new 300b.
                    A real pair and tak replica of the western electric 300 b
                    there is something I just don’t like about them. I don’t know why.
                    May I ask what recti donyou use in your amps ?
                    i just looked up your amps the wa6 I don’t think is powerful enough for the he1000 headphones.
                    also it’s output imp is not listed this means it’s low the higher imp headphones sound better ona high imp output and the low imp need low imp
                    this could be why your views are very different then mine. Please don’t take my alt views as trolling you in no way am I meaning to offend you or your views.
                    I have using headphones all of my life am a headfi guy and for years used headphones much more than speakers. I have my preferences
                    as a test if you have a speaker amp a solid state or tube that is neutral try it on your headphones of low imp. My guess is it will yield different results.
                    Also of you hear hiss or want to use a high imp headphone there are resister networks that resolve the mismatch. Please let me know if you need any help.

Comment

The woo WA5 needs the right combo of tubes and woo does not sel them. Although he does now carry the tak line of tubes.
                      The 300b you pick yields the sound scape you like
                      but the driver and recti are even more important in obtaining bliss woth that amp.
                      The driver I use needs an adaptor it’s a VT99 military tube
                      RCA or tungsol
                      the recti is us Air Force 596. in all it looks crazy but sounds far better than the tubes jack sells
                      I think the recti are in tandem not by chAnnel I think.
                      Those drivers are best in the Wes amp as well.
                      The recti only is good in that amp and non of my lampi dacs sound good with them.
                      I owned the WA22 as well. Long sold off. If I ever get a set of near filed hi eff speakers I will use this amp.

Comment

Ray Samules Raptor OTL and Senn HD600, made for each other.

Oppo 205 and AKG 701, Oppo direct headphone off the dac.

Comment

Working...
                        X