Focal Clear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focal Clear

I'm only part way through breaking these headphones in but damm they are special! I was spoiled for a lot of years by full range estat headphone sound. I was given a pair of Stax Lambda Pros for Christmas 1990 and they have been wonderful for a very long time. They need service now, so I decided to try something different.

The Focal Clear has received a lot of very positive reviews. Based on the reviews and the recommendation of a trusted salesman, I decided to take the plunge, unheard. The reviews and my salesman are correct, these cans are very good...just a heads up and one guy's opinion.

Ed
    Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof.
    https://www.edsstuff.org
    TT: VPI Prime, HRX Pulley w/3 Belts, Dual Pivot, VPI ADS, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Liberty B2B-1, Sky 30 Trans
    Line Stage: *Audible Illusions L1
    Pwr Amp: Parasound A21
    Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, Magnepan DW-M, REL T5/i
    Digital: TASCAM UH-7000, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, NAD 446
    Headphones: Stax Lambda Pro, HiFiMan HE-400S, Focal Clear
    Cables: Kimber Hero w/WBT, Kimber 8TC, AQ Leopard, AQ King Cobra

*Modified/Customized Component

I am done breaking in my Focal Clear's and I thought I would report back.

The Focal Clear headphones take quite some time to break in. It will take at least 100 hours of use until the Clear's will break in. Until then you will get hints of their performance but you will have to put up with restrictions until then.

It is not unlike breaking in a good set of speakers. The driver in each cup of the Clears will take time until they have the freedom of performing up to their capabilities. And those are excellent capabilities.

I am used to Stax Lambda Pros and the sound of full range estat headphones is something to behold. The Focal Clear are not full range estats, so don't have that expectation but the Clears can sound very life like. They just do not have that extraordinary transparent lightning quick response that Stax headphones are famous for.

All of that said, the Focal Clears are very very good headphones. They manage to pull off the trick of great sound without drawing attention to themselves. They are extraordinary without sounding like an audiophile anything. They are very comfortable, have excellent accessories, and sound superb.

These are the best dynamic headphones I have ever owned. They are good enough that you can evaluate the quality of recordings but you can also forget all of that stuff and just sit back and enjoy the music.

If there is one weakness in the Clears it is that they might be able to use a bit more low end authority. You cannot consider them as bass shy but there are better headphones that will rock your world. The Focal Clears have everything else covered and covered extremely well.

Nothing in the Focal Clears stands out as more accentuated than any other part of the sound. They are that well balanced. All speakers and headphones have some sort of personality and the Clear's personality is they are what the music is.

I listen to them every day, eight hours a day, while I work. They are so comfortable that once the day is over and I remove them, there is no relief around my ears. They do not add extra pressure or are they too warm or anything like that. If you want an excellent headphone to wear for extended periods of time, here they are.

If you want a headphone that just sounds excellent, again here they are. If you want a headphone that will leave you gobsmacked with great audiophile type sound, look elsewhere. The Focal Clear will not impress you as a great gee-wiz product. They do not have that character.

They just play music with a very neutral character and sound as good as the recording does. In my mind that's a great audio product.

Forget about the asking price of $1500 USD. The Focal Clears are better than their asking price. There are headphones that do this or that better but the Focal Clear does everything very well and most things they do excellent. You will not be disappointed.

Ed
    Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof.
    https://www.edsstuff.org
    TT: VPI Prime, HRX Pulley w/3 Belts, Dual Pivot, VPI ADS, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Liberty B2B-1, Sky 30 Trans
    Line Stage: *Audible Illusions L1
    Pwr Amp: Parasound A21
    Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, Magnepan DW-M, REL T5/i
    Digital: TASCAM UH-7000, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, NAD 446
    Headphones: Stax Lambda Pro, HiFiMan HE-400S, Focal Clear
    Cables: Kimber Hero w/WBT, Kimber 8TC, AQ Leopard, AQ King Cobra

*Modified/Customized Component

Comment

Working...
    X