65" 4K TV Really Getting Cheap - $479

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65" 4K TV Really Getting Cheap - $479

I've been looking at the prices of large screen TVs, especially with the advent of 4K. We're definitely not big TV watchers, so I haven't been looking at high end TV's. However, what caught my eye yesterday at Costco was a 65" 4K TV for $479. It was a TCL brand that I have started to see there, and that has generally gotten pretty good reviews. There are also OLED 65" TVs that are 6-7 times as much at Costco. Any comments?

BTW, they also have a 40"-43" 4K TV for $200-$240 - Hisense, Element, TCL, Visio brands.

Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

We only spent $299 for our 49 inch LG at a Best Buy. Works really well and has Netflix and Amazon Prime right from the remote. It isn't 4K, but we only watch from UVerse, Netflix or Amazon, so 4K wasn't really an issue.
    Steve Lefkowicz
    Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
    --------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

There also was a 40" TV, 1080p, not 4K, that was $150 at Costco. I remember buying my first TV when I was a grad student at Cal in 1967. It was a 12" from Payless Drugs in Oakland, CA for around $140 (equivalent to $1070 today).

Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
        Steve Lefkowicz commented
        Editing a comment
        I paid $495 for a 12 inch Mitsubishi in 1990 to up the image quality over the 9 inch RCA I had when my wife (then my girlfriend) moved onto my sailboat with me. Recently paid $159 for a 32 inch LG (same line as our 49 inch) for our bedroom. Too bad prices for high end audio gear doesn't change like that!

• Doxycc
        Doxycc commented
        Editing a comment
        Go Bears

when I first moved into my home in '04, I got the biggest 32" TV I could.... weighed over 200 POUNDS!! Now you can pick up a 65" tv and not break a sweat!!!

Comment

I watch a lot of sports and so I do like having a big, nice TV. I have a 75” 4K LG TV which I love. But it was way more than $500!
        TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
        VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
        DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
        SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
        AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Yes, the size vs price ratio sure has changed. My first "big" HD TV was a 50" Panasonic plasma, it ran us over $3500 15 years ago.

But there's more to this than size and cost. Display technology has changed, and while units are far less expensive, the ability to calibrate the display has vanished on the cheap sets. Calibrating an LCD/LED set is a challenge anyway, even if the set has the right controls available, but the cheap ones just don't have the ability to hit proper calibration. As a result, color, contrast, shadow and highlight detail is often compromised. That's what you pay for when you get a more expensive unit. Some are virtually pre-calibrated, like Sony's mid to high range line.

And, I'm afraid, it still takes real money to get an LED/LCD display to equal the quality of a plasma set. Perhaps it doesn't matter, the cheap sets almost never get taken out of "store mode" anyway.

Comment

the new sets may be cheaper, but how long do they last? My latest set, a 4K LG has developed hot spots in the backlighting and its less than three years old.
            Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Phones, Headroom Max balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

I remember my mother taking off the paperboard back off of our tv, taking all the tubes out, putting them in a paper bag, handing me the bag and telling me to go up to the drug store and test the tubes in the tube tester

Click image for larger version

Name:	zenith_flashmatic-1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	121257
              RHAPSODY.AUDIO

http://www.rhapsody.audio

Diesis Audio, Alsyvox, VYGER, Taiko Audio - Extreme server, Aqua Acoustic Quality, Intona, Audio Note Japan/Kondo, Pilium, Goldmund, Jadis, Magico, AVM, Kaiser, Raidho, TechDAS, Lucxar, Critical Mass Systems, Zesto Audio, Aurender, Devialet, Lyra, Koetsu, Scansonics, REL Acoustics, Ortofon, Koetsu, Lyra, King/Cello tape preamps, Stillpoints, Entreq, FVPowerBank, Enklein, Kubala Sosna

Comment

• Joe Pittman
                Joe Pittman commented
                Editing a comment
                I remember sticking aluminum foil on the antenna to improve reception. I preferred that to standing to the side and manipulating the antenna while everyone else watched the show...

I still have a 55" RUNCO (now in storage) we used to demo a T+A system at CES back in 2005. Free for the taking. I think retail was $6000 back then.

Comment

Spent some time watching my son's 55" 4K Hisense the past two weeks, Great for sports (if you can call footy a real sport...at least the F1 race looked good) but in watching regular shows or a movie, it seemed like we were watching a home video. Great resolution, but it didn't seem like a movie or TV. Neither my wife nor I cared for it. Now that e're home we both seem to prefer our 1080p screen.
                Steve Lefkowicz
                Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                --------------------------------------------------------
                http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

I like the old Springsteen song "57 Channels" (or whatever it was) about the guy who shot his TV because there were 57 channels and nothing on. I never owned a TV until around 1986 in my 30's, music and books had been fine. It was only the introduction of renting movies that finally convinced me to buy a TV. Otherwise broadcast television is a wasteland, excepting some PBS cooking shows. So the current 42" will do until it breaks down, and the next one will be whatever the $700 (or less) the last one cost will buy.

Comment

Working...
                  X