TV Soundbars advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Soundbars advice

Does anyone have experience with the different TV soundbars on the market? I don't consider myself very knowledgeable in the home theater/TV market, but looking for an excellent soundbar to improve the sound quality - clearer voices, more balanced sound, etc when watching TV and Movies. Don't know if bluetooth/wireless is as effective as a wired connection and looking for some great value brands/models.

I just got mine a few months ago. Of course the sales person steered me to buy the more expensive Bose and such, but I was looking just for a sound bar, with no surround/subs. Voices were dropping or being overshadowed by the sound effects.
    I bought a simple LG model with Bluetooth and remote. Fits the bill perfectly. Didn't want anything fancy. Think it was under $100
    I'd also look at Sony as well.

Comment

I've had one for a couple years and it is more engaging than the TV speakers. It was around $200 bucks back then, not sure if its current but it does have remote to do a little frequency range fine tuning. Samsung HW-H450 sound bar. It solved the voice issues being over shadowed, and add better bass and a little sub bass to the sound for the crash and bangs of movies.
      SOURCE: Avid Sequel SP w/SME V, Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Benz LPS-mr or Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/dac. PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2. PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2. AMPLIFIER: Audionet AMP monoblocks. SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures w/ YG binding post upgrade. CABLES: Audioquest and Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM

Comment

By no means an expert on anything home theater but I have two. I own a Zvox which retailed for about $250 and a Yamaha which retailed for about $150. Got both on sale at Amazon. I bought the Yamaha for a TV which doesn't have an integrated speaker and the Zvox offered a technology for clear spoken word called accu----something. My wife is slowly losing her hearing. Anyway it works fairly well and we don't need captions turned on all the time.
        TW Acustic TT with upgraded motor and controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; iFi Phono 2; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; Hovland HP-100; Pass Labs 150.8 Amplfier; Revel Studio Ultima Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones.

Comment

I bought one last year, since we have a Samsung TV I decide on same brand for the soundbar, one less remote to screw with......has a wireless sub and the actual soundbar takes up very little room which I was looking for, cost was about $350. It's not the end all of sound quality but much better then the tv speakers. All in all I'm content with the soundbar and if or when it goes south I will buy another.
          Jeff Whitlock
          A/V Solutions /
          Unity Audio Design
          www.avsolutionsca.com
          www.unityaudiodesign.com

Comment

• EdAInWestOC
            EdAInWestOC commented
            Editing a comment
            I ended up doing the same thing for my Vizio TV. I bought a Vizio soundbar and it integrated without any problems. The sound isn't great but you can now hear the dialog and it beats the speakers in the flat screen TV. I bought a Vizio M series TV after researching 4K TV sets.

For sound quality and overall value, my analysis led to only one choice: Sonos. A year later I added the subwoofer.
          Spkr: Wilson Alexias; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 1.5; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Ξtron Anaconda PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton II, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class XL plus2 amp stands, Stillpoints 5s under spkrs; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

I'm surprised so many of you are using soundbars. I use a pair of high quality polk bookshelf speakers and a small stereo integrated amp w remote. Excellent sound even though its only stereo, not three channel.
            Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• Analog21
              Analog21 commented
              Editing a comment
              that's definitely another route to go. soundbar is a lot simpler of a setup and spacesaver, but the bookshelves probably sound excellent too

Don't forget, there are 2 types of sound bars. Ones that are self powered like the Sonos, which I have now, and ones that require an amp. Probably a 5 channel as you will want the center, 2 side and 2 rears. The Sonos is good, not great. Its better than my Panasonic TV speakers. Its simple and does not add components to my rack. A 5 channel amp with good speakers (I had Sonus Faber) kicks butt on the Sonos. Lots more money. At one time I had a Boss system. 5 little cubes and a sub. That thing was very impressive for $1,000. No receiver or amp required. Just a lot of cables around the room. If I was starting from scratch, the Boss was the best bang for the buck. I am sure the Sonus would be very nice if I added additional side, rear and sub drivers, but a complete setup is $3500 to $4500 or more.

Comment

Check out he ZVox soundbars. Winslow Burhoe was involved in some of the designs, at least he used to be.
              /http://www.zvoxaudio.com/
              Steve Lefkowicz
              Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
              --------------------------------------------------------
              http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

• Analog21
                Analog21 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Steve. Never heard of ZVox. Thanks for passing that on.

Pardon my naïveté but how do you hook up something say like a Zvox? What is the difference between the soundbar and soundbase?
              Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
              Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                Pardon my naïveté but how do you hook up something say like a Zvox? What is the difference between the soundbar and soundbase?
                They have analog, toslink and coax inputs. I thought they had HDMI inputs but I don't see that mentioned in the specs. I think the basic difference between the soundbar and sound base is just that the soundbase is deeper, and is designed to sit underneath the TV. The soundbars are not intended to be a base/stand for the TV.
                I've always been a fan of Burhoe's work. I've never heard one of these ZVox units, but they have gotten very good reviews.
                Steve Lefkowicz
                Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                --------------------------------------------------------
                http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

HDTV broadcasts are all low resolution compressed dolby digital anyway. Its turd polishing.
                  Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Working...
                  X