OTA 4K UHD broadcast started in Korea May 31, 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTA 4K UHD broadcast started in Korea May 31, 2017

It's world's first over the air 4K UHD broadcast by KBS, SBS, and MBC started in Korea today. Have a 4K TV but... when will we be able to see 4K broadcast in Seattle?

I view it as another hype job dangled to get you to pay for another television to watch the same old crap. 3D anyone?

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 It's not a gimmick and the differences between 4K and ordinary HD when the set is properly calibrated is remarkable. Bought a 4K set last year and never once regretted it. Save for lack of material. But the 4K set is worth it even for just the upsampled picture.

• JCOConnell
      JCOConnell commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with myles, 4K displays are not gimmicks, they are worth it just for upsampling 2K signals. When I watch a good blu ray on mine the picture quality and sharpness is truly stunning and its not even true 4K resolution.

• tom_hankins
      tom_hankins commented
      Editing a comment
      My new 4K TV gets here today! Can't wait!
      edit: Holy Crap, walked upstairs and the delivery guys were at the door, new TV here!

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
    It's world's first over the air 4K UHD broadcast by KBS, SBS, and MBC started in Korea today. Have a 4K TV but... when will we be able to see 4K broadcast in Seattle?
    Hopefully not to long from now.
    SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
    DIGITAL - Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC. Roon Nucleus w/EAT Lps power supply. Auralic Aires G1
    PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
    PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
    AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
    SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) JL Audio F112 V2 (x2)
    CABLES: Kubala-Sosna, Kubala Sosna Xpander.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

• JCOConnell
      JCOConnell commented
      Editing a comment
      This will have to wait until ATSC 3.0 broadcast standards are finalized.

Just as when original hi def came about, it was years before there was any meaningful supply of true 1080P source material. Hell even now, the cable and satellite channels professing HD are still frequently sending less than 1080P resolution....What makes anyone think it will be any different with 4K? Maybe when true 4K broadcasts are available they will finally make everything at least 1080P???
    Primary 2 channel stuff: Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass Labs X600.5 amps, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, Dunlavy SC4s, VPI HRX Reference w Avenger mag drive and Reference footers, Gimbal Fatboy, Yamaha GT2000 for Mono, Miyajima Kansui, Miyajima ZERO, Fidelity Research MC-201 & 202, VPI ADS, Vendetta Research SCP-1, Audio Note UK- 3.1X II balanced DAC, Meridian Sooloos, Western Electric Speaker wire, mostly diy balanced interconnects, Furutech Power Cords

Comment

• tom_hankins
      tom_hankins commented
      Editing a comment
      It will probably take a few years to replace regular HD. But many of the shows on Netflix and amazon are already streaming in 4K. Direct TV has dedicated 4K channels and many more in the mix.
      This is something that is happening now, and will only grow.
      I'm not sure the amount of true 1080P the cable companies are putting out, but I am sure it's a huge improvement over the option of regular TV. I'm streaming 4K from amazon now and the picture is just mind blowing good. I also have upsampled to 4K, HD shows. Again very big improvement. One of the better home entertainment improvements I've made.
      If you don't think you will use the 4K that's out now, probably not worth the money.

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      What set did you buy Tom?

• tom_hankins
      tom_hankins commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry it took so long to reply to this. It's a Samsung MU8500 SUHD 4K 65" curved smart tv
      Last edited by tom_hankins; 06-26-2017, 07:06 AM.
Working...
X