Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies great in surround sound

now that I have my setup going I have a renewed interest in movies
    playing them in surround is so much more involving.
    I watched promithius yesterday what a great sound.
    It seemed to always fill the room but not always obvious as some do. It was like I was in the middle of the movie most times. I think key in this is ambience sound playing most of the time. I think any Syfi movie where they are in other then a room needs this to get you there.
    Movies that have the system popping on and off I think are missing something.
    How do others feel ?

Even with a cheap HK surround system in my man cave, I really like it a lot. Nothing like the sound of bullets flying by your head during movies!
    SOURCE: Vinyl - Avid Sequel SP w/SME V, Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, or Avid Volvere, Benz LPS-mr. Digital - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/dac. PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2. PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2. AMPLIFIER: Audionet AMP monoblocks. SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures w/ YG binding post upgrade. CABLES: Audioquest and Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM

Comment

Agree. While I can live off a sound bar upstairs, there's nothing like the Projector based HT with the big ass center and dual subs downstairs. Please pass the popcorn

Comment

In my room I only use one 15 inch sub with a 800 watt internal amp. It's fed directly from my denon 5805 receiver
        IRS a simple 7.1 setup. I have two of them but I just don't think I need another one lol.
        But my point is in surround sound a movie is much better.
        I do play you tube and other music videos through my umt plus to it as well. If a movie is well done it keeps you in the movie. What I don't care for is the pop in and out of surround sound. I feel in most movies there needs to be a almost constant surrounding effect.
        The movie promithius does this perfectly.
        Last witch hunter with vin diesel does not. Maybe I am too into hi end Audio and expect each sound track to be done well. Even the 007 trilogy spectrr while good did not maintain things well.
        My post is not just the importance of surround sound for movies but witch ones do it best.

Comment

I quite enjoyed it when I had a surround setup, but I left it as I wanted to concentrate on 2CH and couldn't do both.
          Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

I am not a HT enthusiast mostly because my wife and I go to the movies a lot. It is difficult to find anything to rent or stream because of this. In other words, if we haven't seen it at the movies it's because it isn't worth seeing. We even shun the 3D experience at the movies and opt for the less expensive normal version. We usually go to art or foreign films so 3D and surround sound have much less meaning. I own a pair of Sennheiser headphones with built in surround and while not the equivalent of a true HT set up it's enough for me.
            TW Acustic TT with upgraded motor and controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; iFi Phono 2; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; Hovland HP-100; Pass Labs 150.8 Amplfier; Revel Studio Ultima Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones.

Comment

Three video references come to mind:

Fifth Element
              Jurassic Park
              Moonraker? (The Bond movie where the jet fighter crashes into the radar tower)

I watched Jurassic Park at Dave Wilson's home in his home theater setup 15 years ago and it still blows my mind. The room shook when the dinosaurs walked! Literally. It was Levinson electronics and IIRC X-1s for the front channels and W/Ps for the rear channel channels. Forget the middle channel and of course there were some Thors scattered around. In a custom designed room.
              Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
              Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Mad Max - Fury Road in Dolby Atmos is pretty much the best movie you can hear. (It is alright to watch aswell.)

Comment

And don't forget Surround Sound SACDs and Surround Sound DSD Music Downloads.
                  Very enjoyable !

https://www.nativedsd.com/new_browse/#channel=multi

Comment

I used to have 5.1 setups in both the living room and bedroom but have since gone back to 2CH in both. Don't really miss it.
                    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

I do like my movies, and HT. Its a way for me and the wife to set back together and watch a movie. I am thinking about adding a few speakers in the ceiling since my family room ceiling is 12' and the room being an open concept floor plan is massive.
                      Chris
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------
                      Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5 or W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e22Mkll, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se, HD800, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow, Kimber cables

Comment

Originally posted by bmoura View Post
                        And don't forget Surround Sound SACDs and Surround Sound DSD Music Downloads.
                        Very enjoyable !

https://www.nativedsd.com/new_browse/#channel=multi
                        why don't you start a thread about your experience with surround sound music Brian. My experience at shows has been all over the place.

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Working...
                        X