New Surrounds On Wall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Surrounds On Wall

I have some new surrounds coming and was wondering which wall would be best to hang them on, the rear or the side? The surrounds are Klipsch RP 250S they have dual 5.25" woofers and dual 1" tweeters and they will have to be in the corner where the two walls meet...

I know someone contemplating the exact same question (same product, same situation). I suggested to him, mount on the rear wall but not too high up and not too close to the corner (eg 1m away from corner, 1.8m from floor). Hope someone else can chime in here....
    Steve

Studer Enthusiast

Comment

The ideal location for "dipole" surround speakers is directly to the sides of the listeners so that they are listening in the "null" zone. This provides the most diffuse and envoloping experience, typically designed for home theater.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5  channel with dipole surrounds.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	61678

If you are trying to recreate accurate multi-channel music with 5 speakers, I recommend direct radiating speakers in a ITU arrangement:

Name:	5  channel ITU standard.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	61679
      Reference Room 1, Reference Room 2, Office System

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Palmai View Post
        I know someone contemplating the exact same question (same product, same situation). I suggested to him, mount on the rear wall but not too high up and not too close to the corner (eg 1m away from corner, 1.8m from floor). Hope someone else can chime in here....
        Did he/she come to a conclusion?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post
          The ideal location for "dipole" surround speakers is directly to the sides of the listeners so that they are listening in the "null" zone. This provides the most diffuse and envoloping experience, typically designed for home theater.

Name:	5  channel with dipole surrounds.jpg
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	61678

If you are trying to recreate accurate multi-channel music with 5 speakers, I recommend direct radiating speakers in a ITU arrangement:

Name:	5  channel ITU standard.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	61679
          Are you suggesting I mount them mid way down the side wall like in the pic?

Comment

Originally posted by jcmusic View Post

Are you suggesting I mount them mid way down the side wall like in the pic?
            As I understand it, the Klipsch RP 250S surround speaker is a dipole design (drivers are out of phase) so the null area is to the sides. I would need to see a proposed layout of the room with dimensions before recommending layout, but typically, the best location for a speaker like this is directly to the side of the listening area above the seated heads of the listeners. This is what is typically done for home theater. Multichannel music is totally different.
            Reference Room 1, Reference Room 2, Office System

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post

As I understand it, the Klipsch RP 250S surround speaker is a dipole design (drivers are out of phase) so the null area is to the sides. I would need to see a proposed layout of the room with dimensions before recommending layout, but typically, the best location for a speaker like this is directly to the side of the listening area above the seated heads of the listeners. This is what is typically done for home theater. Multichannel music is totally different.
              Ok Joe,
              Thanks that's what I am hearing from others including Klipsch.

Comment

Originally posted by jcmusic View Post

Did he/she come to a conclusion?
                He hasn't committed yet. My suggestion was based on no right wall (open plan).

Steve

Studer Enthusiast

Comment

Working...
                X