SHARP to release world's first 8K TV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHARP to release world's first 8K TV

SHARP announced it will be release the world's first 8K TV in 2018. https://www.whathifi.com/news/sharp-...ampaign=buffer

I wondering when the increased resolution will finally start to hurt the eyes over long periods of viewing? Sharper contrasts are stunning, but not sure how much resolution these retinas can take
    Last edited by Analog21; 09-01-2017, 11:17 PM.

Shirley you jest, real life resolution is much higher than 8K and it doesn't make your eyes hurt.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

I knew it was just a matter of time before 8K would be available. But seriously I thought they (and the industry) would shoot for 16K resolution or 4x 4K, double the pixels horizontally and vertically.

But the big problem right now is getting 4K movies. And the majority of 4K movies are not true 4K anyway. So as 8K and possibly 16K displays may become available in the not to distant future, there is no true content available now and unlikely to be available any time soon... They (the movie making industry) needs to be shooting (and digital graphics) at 16K or better resolution.
      Reference Room 1, Reference Room 2, Office System

Comment

• JCOConnell
        JCOConnell commented
        Editing a comment
        The 8K format IS 4x the 4K format, it has approx. 8000 pixels wide, hence "8K"

• Joe Pittman
        Joe Pittman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I stand corrected. The important thing is that each new display format has at least 4x the total number of pixels to be meaningful and that it is an easy mathematical multiple. And even more important is for the movie making industry to stay ahead of this technology by having the appropriately higher resolution cameras and digital effects creation/processing to stay ahead of the display/playback technology...

• cpp
        cpp commented
        Editing a comment
        8K = four times more pixels than 4K images, measuring 7680x4320 pixels, which equates to a total of 33,177,600 pixels. But whoopie do, no content and $$$ Sharp sells its 85-inch LV-85001 for US$130,000 but only in Japan. For the got to have it computer user, Dell has the new UP3218K, a 31.5-inch 8K monitor for $5,000 US. And something else, do even get 8K you need a HDMI 2.1 connection.

Yawn. Let me know when the content improves.
      Spkr: Wilson Alexias series 2; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 1.5 & 2.0; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata ╬×tron Anaconda PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton II, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class amp stands, ; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

More Marketing BS...The Major content providers still rarely supply even 1080P..It is useless and a joke...
        Primary 2 channel stuff: Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass Labs X600.5 amps, Eminent Technology LFT VI speakers, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, VPI Mag Drive / Rim Drive HRX w Avenger Reference footers, 2 - 12" VPI 3DR tonearms, 1 - 12" VPI Stainless Steel tonearm, Miyajima Kansui, Miyajima ZERO, Fidelity Research MC-201 & 202, VPI ADS, Vendetta Research SCP-1, Truth Mod OPPO 105, Western Electric Speaker wire, DIY & Discovery interconnects, Furutech Power Cords

Comment

When I can find an HD source that doesn't show blocky compression artifacts in the dark regions on the screen, perhaps I'll look for some 4k stuff to watch 8k? What a bunch of bollocks! (At least for the next several years.)

Comment

I have a Panasonic Plasma and like the picture far more than any high resolution LED/LCD etc. I find the current tv images to be layered on the screen instead of homogeneous. Kind of like the old movies where the guy is driving, but you know its a projected image behind them. When my TV goes out, I am going to get a projector.
            Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3S, Rega RP6 customized, Allnic H1201, RT Audio Ultra USB Orpheus EX, Mojo Audio Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.

Comment

The problem is not the TV to display the resolution its the available bandwidth to be able to broadcast that much data. If they keep on upping the resolution every two years, the broadcast infrastructure will have to find a way to deal with the added bandwidth requirements.

I have owned a 4K TV for a couple of years now and the only place to watch 4K content, via a broadcast, is on Netflix (or other internet based providers...I suppose, I haven't really tried). The hardware requirements to support 4-16 times the data throughput is going to be expensive. The tallest poll in the broadcasting tent is the satellites. Its not easy and very expensive to expand the throughput capabilities of the satellites that handle the broadcasts.

I remember when DirectTV upgraded its service to support HD (1080P). When DirecTV and the other providers upgraded their hardware for 1080P, how much future capabilities did they include in the changes? Somewhere along the way there is hardware that will restrict the broadcasting capabilities and 4K/8K will find speed bumps.

I love 4K TV but thats a lot of data to be broadcasting. Not only is the hardware a problem but assigning frequencies for broadcasting high resolution content takes more bandwidth. I'm no expert on the subject but there has to be a problem with adjacent channel assignment when you start upping the bandwidth of the signal you are carrying.
              Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof.
              https://www.edsstuff.org
              TT: VPI Prime, HRX Pulley, 3 Belt Drive, VPI Dual Pivot, VPI ADS, Ortofon Quintet Black S, Tru-Lift, AQ Leopard, Liberty Audio B2B-1.1
              Line Stage: *Audible Illusions L1
              Pwr Amp: *Adcom GFA-555II
              Speakers: Magnepan MGMC1
              Digital: TASCAM UH-7000, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, NAD 446, Schiit Modi Multibit, Schiit Wyrd
              Headphones: Stax Lambda Pro, Schiit Lyr 2, HiFi Man HE-400S

*Modified/Customized Component

Comment

Working...
              X