No announcement yet.

So I finally bought a 4K TV...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post

David, my price reference probably is what I've paid for my previous and current projectors, which have been Panasonics for the last three projectors over the past decades. They all were around $3000. Could go higher, I suppose. My screen is a 16x9 format, about 120 inches diagonal. It has been a few years since I have bought a projector - my current model does 3-D, so that will give you a sense of its age. I did splurge a bit with a new screen which is called a dp Supernova, and allows me to see a nice picture with quite a bit of ambient light in the room in the daytime. If I go to a 4K, then I will need to upgrade my Oppo BDP-95. It too does 3D, but I found using the glasses and the dimmer image was not much fun.

BTW, we don't do TV, only bluray and regular DVD movies. I probably should look at the streaming stuff, but haven't so far.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Larry, based on the quality of the Sony projected that I just bought you may want to consider a Sony VPL-VW285ES LCOS Projector. The MSRP is $5k but I am sure you can get it for less than that.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Lyra Etna SL, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC, Oppo BDP-105;

• astrotoy
      astrotoy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, David. I'll take a look at it. Larrt

I was experimenting with power conditioning years back. I put 4 x 47uf panasonic caps on a bridged diode and inserted it into the neutral line of my power feed. It put a veil over the music and did not work for audio, but darn it made my plasm TV picture all sorts of better. It only cost about $20 to make so it was a success in that regard.
    Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, RT Audio Ultra USB Orpheus EX, Mojo Audio Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis Interconnects.