So I finally bought a 4K TV...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post

David, my price reference probably is what I've paid for my previous and current projectors, which have been Panasonics for the last three projectors over the past decades. They all were around $3000. Could go higher, I suppose. My screen is a 16x9 format, about 120 inches diagonal. It has been a few years since I have bought a projector - my current model does 3-D, so that will give you a sense of its age. I did splurge a bit with a new screen which is called a dp Supernova, and allows me to see a nice picture with quite a bit of ambient light in the room in the daytime. If I go to a 4K, then I will need to upgrade my Oppo BDP-95. It too does 3D, but I found using the glasses and the dimmer image was not much fun.

BTW, we don't do TV, only bluray and regular DVD movies. I probably should look at the streaming stuff, but haven't so far.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Larry
    Larry, based on the quality of the Sony projected that I just bought you may want to consider a Sony VPL-VW285ES LCOS Projector. The MSRP is $5k but I am sure you can get it for less than that.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Lyra Etna SL, Ortofon Anna, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

• astrotoy
      astrotoy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, David. I'll take a look at it. Larrt

I was experimenting with power conditioning years back. I put 4 x 47uf panasonic caps on a bridged diode and inserted it into the neutral line of my power feed. It put a veil over the music and did not work for audio, but darn it made my plasm TV picture all sorts of better. It only cost about $20 to make so it was a success in that regard.
    Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, Transition Audio 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, Denon 103R Midas Saphire with line contact diamond. Mojo Audio CAT Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC. Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

I have the LG 55" C7 OLED in the living room with an Oppo 203 and it is outstanding. Now I am shopping for a 75"-85" to replace the projector in the new house we are about done rehabbing. The new Sony 900f seems to be very good. I am eyeing the new LG 77" C8PUA though...
      VPI Prime Signature with Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Simaudio Moon 610LP Phono Pre, PS Audio: DirectStream Memory Player, Directstream DSD DAC, BHK Pre, BHK 300 Mono's, Vandersteen Quatro CT's, Roon, AudioQuest Niagara 5000, Thunder Power cables, CastleRock speaker cables, MacKenzie interconnects and Diamond USB.

Comment

Why OLED over a projector? When I look at LED TV in stores I dont like the picture. The salesmen always say they have to be setup correct. Seems odd to me they are not set the units up propper. One guy told me I just did not appreciate how what I was looking at was great. I admit the blacks were black, but the images all looked super imposed over each other. To me It looks fake in that sense. Like when you hear the individual drivers in a speaker. Everyone says we hear different. We probably see different too. Maybe I'm a tube viewer. Smooth and clean. SS viewers being high contrast and hyper detail. There is a debate.
        Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, Transition Audio 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, Denon 103R Midas Saphire with line contact diamond. Mojo Audio CAT Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC. Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

I recently purchased two 4K televisions, a Sony XBR65X900E for the living room and a Sony XBR49X900E for the bedroom. This series of Sony 4K televisions are quite remarkable with full array back lighting, native 120Hz refresh rate, and Sony's 4K HDR X1 processor. Prices are decent, too. The picture on both televisions is outstanding with upscaled 1080P and incredible on 4K content from the two Oppo UDP-203 disc players in use. Streaming Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube is impressive. I am now thinking of replacing a 1080P Sony XBR52 television in the studio with the Sony XBR55X900E 4K television and another Oppo UDP-203 to replace the BDP-105 in that system. This level of television viewing is addicting.
          Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE with SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
          LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC452, MR85, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

Comment

Love my 4K OLED. Here in Brampton we have three 4K sports channels, spectacular. Some of the channels in the 500 block are also outstanding (higher bandwidth).

Here's the reason for this post; fifty years ago Panavision made all the movie camera's. At that time a true genius and visionary was part of their team. This gentleman wrote a massive white paper. In this white paper he talked about frame rate. He wrote of the limitations of 24 frames per second. He implied they where garbage. Already back then he begged them 'we have to build 48 frame per second camera's, which will take us to 96 fps units'. Their response was simple 'we can't keep up with 24 fps demand, how are we going to build 48's'.

The Hobbit was the first movie shot with a 48 fps camera.

With digital camera's, we are now there. A year and a half ago, the SuperBowl halftime show was broadcast with the first 8K 48fps camera. It was truly out of this world. OLED is king.

The NHL has been a huge adopter of 4K camera's.

Soccer in Europe is also there.

Everyone is coming on board.

As the camera's get better, the TV stations will be able to broadcast more 'pixels'.

Let's discuss human eyesight, and our feeble little 15% usage brains. Let's also agree we are not Falcons, Hawks, or Eagles. I'm not referring to NFL teams.

In this white paper, the gentleman also discussed humans. To make a long story short, 4K is the outer limit of human sight capabilities. 8K and 16K TV's will be a marketing exercise.

Let's discuss 4:4:2, 4:2:2, and 2:2:2;
            Take a piece of paper, and draw a grid. This grid will be four squares high and four squares wide. We now have 16 squares. Each square of four squares represent one pixel. Incredibly tiny pixels.
            In the 4:4:2 scenario, each block of four squares could potentially be four different colours (colors for my American friends). This is the true potential of 4K TV's.
            Opps! We're a long ways away.
            For all intents and purposes, there are only a handful of TV stations,,,,,,,on the planet,,,,, that can broadcast 4:2:2, let alone 4:4:2.

The best broadcast today is 1/8th or possibly 1/4 of it's true potential.

I think?

Could someone correct/edit/expand on what I think I know?

Cousin Billy the roofer.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
              Why OLED over a projector? When I look at LED TV in stores I dont like the picture. The salesmen always say they have to be setup correct. Seems odd to me they are not set the units up propper. One guy told me I just did not appreciate how what I was looking at was great. I admit the blacks were black, but the images all looked super imposed over each other. To me It looks fake in that sense. Like when you hear the individual drivers in a speaker. Everyone says we hear different. We probably see different too. Maybe I'm a tube viewer. Smooth and clean. SS viewers being high contrast and hyper detail. There is a debate.
              Basically an issue of how much room I have. The new room that we have available for the theater is 12 wide by 24 deep by 7 high. I am having to make choices about keeping the 92in Stewart StudioTek screen which is 87" wide with the frame leaving 28 inches on each side. Plus it is 51" high which leaves only 33" from the floor. Not a lot of room to place gear and speakers. My Vandersteen's will be stuck in each corner and that is not optimal. SO I am considering a smaller screen. That does allow me to go to a TV rather than a projector.
              VPI Prime Signature with Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Simaudio Moon 610LP Phono Pre, PS Audio: DirectStream Memory Player, Directstream DSD DAC, BHK Pre, BHK 300 Mono's, Vandersteen Quatro CT's, Roon, AudioQuest Niagara 5000, Thunder Power cables, CastleRock speaker cables, MacKenzie interconnects and Diamond USB.

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
                I've noticed that Costco has been having pretty large 4K TV's (65") for $800-$900. The cheaper ones are 120 and the more expensive are 240. I have an old front projection TV that is 1080p. Haven't investigated whether there are good 4K projectors at a reasonable price. The really expensive 4K TV's are OLED or something like that. Costco has some of those also. Anyone with recommendations?

Larry
                I'm seriously considering upgrading my 10 year old 53" Samsung LED to a 65" LG 4K OLED 7C this weekend. It's the top reviewed model right now and has an amazing picture.

Best Buy has them for $2600 which is about what I paid for the Samsung 10 years ago. Costco has the older model 7B for the same price.
                Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

Working...
                X