No announcement yet.

Levelling the Playing Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whole problem with measuring (in this case) is that you may be measuring the wrong thing. What is critical is the listening as up/down, front/back, toe-in/out, caster and camber all have to be precisely aligned for best sound. For my speakers, getting them level and equidistant from the listener is just the baseline. Then, you need to listen.

I did not really want to do this as it would open a can of worms. At the behest of the dealer, I did what was easily repeatable and could be easily un-done. I raised the front of one speaker by 1/32" (caster angle). This would change the relationship of all the drivers to the listener (I call it the sonic window defined by the speakers). The tweeter is moved back by approx. 4mm, the midrange by approx. 3.5mm and so on. The phase coherence goes off, and hence Myles heard the tonal and image differences in the sound.

I tolerance the drivers and crossover components left and right to the best of the available measurements, microphones and instruments. Yet, there is still a difference. So after precisely aligning everything (using lasers and measuring tape), we still end up having to use pieces of music we know very well to make the final adjustments. The "lesson" I gave Larry Borden at Distinctive Stereo on loudspeaker set-up took 9 hours because I wanted him to hear and learn every step in dialing the speakers into the room.

Starting with where the speakers are placed in the room, moving them around by an inch front/back/left/right so that they couple into the room. And then doing everything else to define image, soundstage and tonality. The "lesson" I gave Larry Borden at Distinctive Stereo on loudspeaker set-up took 9 hours because I wanted him to hear and learn every step in dialing the speakers into the room. All part of new dealer training (if they are willing to listen). Most dealers I've come across don't believe that such a small dimensional change will make a sonic difference. Those would never be a Genesis dealer.

Comment

Working...
    X