MBL Extreme Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBL Extreme Review

They have produced some of the most realistic sound I’ve heard especially with tape. For me, the biggest issue is integrating the bass into the rest of the speaker. Here Valin addressed that issue using DSP.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

I heard the Extremes recently at Suncoast Audio in Sarasota. Clarity, presentation and musicality were fantastic.

I liked them so much, I acquired a pair of the 101E MKII. The MBLs are sounding wonderfully in my room driven by D’Agostino Momentum Pre HD and S250.

Comment

4 mono blocks plus powered subs used in the review to drive them thats a lot of amps.

A very complex system very heavy and on the third floor to boot that would be something to see and hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritmo View Post
        I heard the Extremes recently at Suncoast Audio in Sarasota. Clarity, presentation and musicality were fantastic.

I liked them so much, I acquired a pair of the 101E MKII. The MBLs are sounding wonderfully in my room driven by D’Agostino Momentum Pre HD and S250.
        Congrats Mike on the speakers!

The 101s throw an amazing soundstage. As good as the 101s are, the Extremes’ soundstage in a whole ‘nuther level. There’s something so beguiling about the sound. I think part of it is the electrostatic like resolution and speed. Plus that nimbleness. Back in the ‘90s nothing came close to the 101a in that category!
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
        -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          Having heard the BIG MBLs, the newest, baddest Wilsons and Wamm Jrs, it would be hard to pick a winner from those three options as a dream speaker. If you twisted my arm the big MBLs would do it for me.

I've heard the big system at several shows over the years. Amazing, and probably my vote for the best I've heard. My son heard them at CES about the time he was just starting to show actual pro-player potential in hockey, and after hearing some Bob Marley and Led Zep on them via tape, he told them he'd be calling as soon as he signed his first big-league contract. Unfortunately, that never happened and he's happy with his Music Hall/ELAC/Tekton system.
        If I had the funds I would have the big MBL system and a proper room to put them in.
        Steve Lefkowicz
        Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
        --------------------------------------------------------
        http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Originally posted by Ritmo View Post

Hey Mike, did you trade out your Wilson’s for the MBL’s?
          Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
          Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
          Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
          Speakers: Wilson Alexias
          Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2/Odin: power, interconnects & speaker | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect | Audioquest Diamond RJ45’s
          Power: Nordost QRT series | Furutech FP55SN cable from 20 Amp Breakers on grounded sub panel to Furutech GTX D NSF receptacle packages | Surge Guard at Main Panel | Keces P3 & P8 | ADD POWR series
          Other: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | Gigafoil v4 | Vicoustics | Audio Desk Systeme - Gläss

Comment

Originally posted by UltraFast69 View Post

Hey Mike, did you trade out your Wilson’s for the MBL’s?
            No, sold them to a friend in Dallas. Turned out to be a win-win for both of us.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Congrats Mike on the speakers!

The 101s throw an amazing soundstage. As good as the 101s are, the Extremes’ soundstage in a whole ‘nuther level. There’s something so beguiling about the sound. I think part of it is the electrostatic like resolution and speed. Plus that nimbleness. Back in the ‘90s nothing came close to the 101a in that category!
              Thanks Myles!

Turns out my wife bought them as a surprise gift for me. We had a speaker listening session a few months ago and the 101s impressed both of us. Fast forward to the Extreme demo held at Suncoast Audio, both my wife and I attended and were super impressed. So, she decided to treat me to the new speakers.

Comment

One of my favourite speakers.... I will have to manage with the Beveridge's at those prices.
                Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
                Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
                Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
                Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
                Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
                Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Garth
                  Garth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  have listened to the Beveridge's many years ago with AR amps they are a very nice speaker they were in a home well set up and sounding very nice.
              Working...
              X