What Do Your Speakers Say About You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do Your Speakers Say About You?

Is there anything more personal in the audio system than your speakers? What does it say about your music choices and the musical qualities you feel are the most important to bringing that sound of real instruments into your listening room? So many choices, yet we select one brand and often stay with that company’s products for a long time. Real brand loyalty. Dynamic, horns, electrostatic, hybrids and more. What’s your journey through speaker land been like and how have your tastes changed over time?
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Big,awkard, immovable. Shy, so trying to blend into the corner of a room but end up being as inconspicuous as a wheelbarrow in a jewellery store.

Capable of going from mild irritation to massive explosion at a drop of a hat and being embarrased about it just as quickly so fading to nothing as fast,Trying to be as simple as possible and in that effort ending up enormously complex.Sometimes maybe a little rough around the edges but not really ,just hiding inherent shyness.

Incabable of lying as the tiniest fib will show a mile off.

One of a kind and I’m sure everybody who knows me says “Thank god”

Yes I think my speakers are exactly like me

Comment

• shawnwes
      shawnwes commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the way you roll! Awesome setups.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_24132.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	136325 From using bookshelf speakers during my student days (KEF) to electrostatics (ESL57) and finally to horns. I have tried many different iterations of the basic set up of 3 way with reflex bass, mid and treble horns. Initially, I used JBL mid-range, EV T350 treble and Altec 515C on bass. Now using Acapella ion tweeter, field coil midrange and field coil 15" bass, both from Classic Audio Loudspeakers. This is probably my ultimate setup unless I manage to move into a larger space.

Comment

I started with Pioneer speakers an overseas model then I went to JBL floor speakers, and eventually horns. I got a pair of Klipsch Khorns and upgraded and modded them to end up with a tri amped setup. There is no going back and I will not ever change from these!!!
      Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm, I’m seeing a pattern here
        Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
        Pass Labs INT60
        Daedalus Audio Ulysses v.2
        REL S3
        Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables
        Torus IS5

Comment

Great topic!!!

For me: Loyal, in it for the long haul, not fickle, doesn’t particularly like change 🤪

I’ve had my N800’s for almost 20 years andI love them just as much now as I did when I got them.

Name:	45BD3B54-9F64-4662-8786-7DAE2E95B572.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	136335
          TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
          VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
          DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
          SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
          AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

err my first speakers were umm Cervin Vegas!! Fortunately no pics from the 80s 😊

But my real audio journey started off with some Missions from the 90’s (which I still have in a AV system) Then the experiments start. With Apogee about 2004 (which sounded good and I would have liked to have kept)

Click image for larger version  Name:	6CE09DCA-4982-4154-8D8E-74C8F77FCEBA.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.01 MB ID:	136349

Then some boutique horns for a couple of years 2008 (they looked great but could never could get them to sound good).

Click image for larger version  Name:	1C800A44-1C1C-44B2-92A9-1A07928EA9DB.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	136348

Finally back to a more conservative approach, which is probably my nature, with some Harbeths. SHL5. 2014

Click image for larger version  Name:	5A00EBA6-D4E7-48EB-88A8-E187148693C6.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	136347

I now have a dedicated audio room for the last couple of years. Now with the upgraded SHL5Plus. 2016
            my end speakers or may one day be replaced with some other Harbeths.

Click image for larger version  Name:	50B7F9A6-0E95-416B-8764-FA81DB7CB8EA.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	801.2 KB ID:	136350

SME 10, twin arms, SME IV with Lyra Kleos, SME 309 with Benz Micro Ace Mono.
            Garrard 401 with Ortofon 12" arm and Ortofon SPU Classic GM MkII
            Amp, Luxman 507u
            Speakers, Harbeth SHL5Plus

Comment

Many years ago I took that extreme turn away from boxed speakers and into Maggies. I also love estats.

I have tried to audition boxed speakers on and off over the years but each time it sounds like music coming from a box. Some of them manage to sound pretty dammed good.

When I listen to most boxed speakers I miss that huge soundstage and extreme transparency.

I am certain that there are many boxed speakers that manage to sound like open baffle or planar speakers but thats a lot of money to manage to sound like something that is just that (make a box speaker sound like an open baffle or planar/estat).

One day maybe I will find a boxed speaker that will make me leave Maggies. I know they have issues but as soon as I cue up a LP I forget about those Maggie issues. They sound glorius. No box and just a huge soundfield...you know like a musical group or orchestra was playing.
              Last edited by EdAInWestOC; 05-20-2020, 03:36 PM.
              Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
              https://www.edsstuff.org

Analog: Walnut VPI Prime TT, HRX Pulley + 3 Belt Drive + ADS Speed Ctrl, 3D Dual Pivot Assy, Tru Lift, HW-40 Feet
              Analog 2: Ortofon Windfeld Ti + Bob's Devices VPI Sky 30 Stepup + Liberty Audio B2B-1 Phono Preamp, Stereo Squares Dust Cover, Wayne's Audio Peripheral Ring
              Analog Care: VPI MW-1, Kirmuss KA-RC-1, Record Doctor V, Hunt EDA VI Brush, AQ Brush, Discwasher Record Care Kit
              Digital: TASCAM UH-7000 USB Interface, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai Universal Disc Player, NAD C448 Internet Radio/Streamer
              Digital 2: Digital Audio Workstation (Toshiba P75-A7200 w/MS Windows 10, 24GB RAM, 1.5 TB Crucial MX300 SSD Internal Storage, Intel i7-4700MQ Processor)

Amp: Rogue RP-9 Line Preamp, Schiit Loki Tone Ctrls, Parasound A21 Power Amp
              Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, REL T9/i Subwoofer
              Headphones: Stax Lambda Pro + SRM 1 MK II, Focal Clear + Schiit Lyr 2
              Wires: Kimber Hero ICs, Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables, AQ Leopard Phono IC, Pangea Silver USB Cables, StraightWire Expressivo ICs
              Power: Furman Elite 15 PFi

Comment

Idiosyncratic, unusual and unconventional with a dash of obsessiveness. Me and the speakers.

At almost 40 years old the Beveridge electrostatics have captured most of what I have been looking for in terms of priorities. Are they perfect? of course not. Standing almost 7'tall I am convinced that a line source with the holographic capability of hanging an image in space that isn't overblown like a saxophone that is 8' tall gives me what I am looking for.

Not for the faint of heart, with +/- 2000V running with high tension silicone wires to the panels from the direct drive amps- I could not of left well enough alone in driving the panels this way and integrating a couple of subs with a passive crossover via a single copper/teflon v cap per channel. Pure madness.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3614.jpg Views:	2 Size:	73.2 KB ID:	136367Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3613.jpg Views:	2 Size:	64.6 KB ID:	136368Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3616.jpg Views:	2 Size:	73.9 KB ID:	136369Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3619.jpg Views:	2 Size:	85.3 KB ID:	136366
                Attached Files
                Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
                Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
                Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
                Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
                Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
                Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

Starting in1984...Polk Audio Monitor 4a, ...then Wharfedale Diamond in 1990, ...then Eminent Technology LFT VIII in 1993,...then Magnepan 1.7i in 2012.
                  Magnepan 1.7i, VMPS Large Sub, Belden 5000 Speaker Cable, Synthesis 510 AC Integrated Amplifier, Adcom GFA 555 II Power Amplifier, QED passive pre-amp, Celtic Dragon & Grover EX+ Interconnects, Crown SX 722 R/R, Nakamichi RX 202 Cassette Deck, Fosgate Signature Phono Preamplifier, Clearaudio Solution Turntable, Clearaudio Satisfy Tone Arm, Clearaudio Concerto V2 Cartridge, Clearaudio Smart Syncro, Belkin AP41300 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, Transparent Power Cables

Comment

B&W Nautilus 805s. Oldies but goodies. It's a small room about 12x17 & open to the dining room & kitchen. Big speakers won't work in this room as there's shared walls with neighbours who have to be respected.

The rest of the rig is revealing enough that they do a pretty good disappearing act & generally just get out of the way of the music. Missing the bottom 35 hz but it represents the rest of the spectrum pretty well. Imaging and a believable soundstage is my game & it does that in spades.

Click image for larger version  Name:	611539082.jpg Views:	1 Size:	421.2 KB ID:	136384
                    "I'm...a rather simple person with a limited talent and perhaps a limited perspective"...Bill Evans

LP playback: Ariston RD 11 Superieur, Audiomods Series 6 Tonearm, Dynavector DV DRT XV-1s, Valab LCR MkIII, Target wall-mounted turntable shelf

Amplification: Exposure 2010 S2

Speakers: B&W Nautilus 805 on sand-filled Atacama stands

Cabling: Audio Sensibility Statement SE (ics), Audio Sensibility Testaments (spkr)

Comment

Piega Coax 711s. Ribbon tweeter/midrange, bass radiator design with two active and two passive drivers, aluminum closed cabinet-no port. Purchased last year. I heard these at AXPONA, auditioned them locally, purchased the AXPONA pair.

Name:	3799529E-1C25-465A-A63A-345BB23A098B.jpeg
Views:	245
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	136414
                      TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Arcam R Phono Preamp

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp
                      Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator

Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cord, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates & Blue Outlets, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

I first owned a pair of AR5s, then Infinity 2000 As, then, starting in the early 80s, Magnepan T-1Ds, 3.5s, and now 3.6s.

My speakers would say I'm a little odd and unconventional - a restless, perfectionist who's driven to try any experiments in search of "just a little more musical bliss". Most people wouldn't spend years taking their favorite speakers apart, rewiring them, and rebuilding them with upgraded passive and active crossovers. I tinkered a lot with the amplifiers too, and even futzed with the ultrasonic record cleaner. Then there was that BMW awhile back... but that's a different website.
                        Last edited by Barry; 05-21-2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I think my speakers choices say more about how my life and priorities are going than anything else. In college my rather large EPI 180s could rock out, were more powerful than Large Advents and were less fatiguing than my friends JBL (L26 or L100) or Klipsch Heresy.

After college, I didn't worry about spending money from my first job on things I really wanted. My big Acoustat Monitors cost more than the car I drove.

After an early midlife crisis I lived with Linn Kans as they sounded really nice in the small main saloon of the sailboat we lived on.

Moving back on land and needing money to set up a new house I loved the sound I got from my Sound Dynamics 300ti

Paying for a kid's ice hockey "career," private school and saving for college, really focused me on value for audio gear, leading to...

Loved my VMPS RM-2neo. Never heard another speaker offer such full range sound for just $2800.

Selling the house and moving to a small town-home, VMPS didn't really fit the room, Direct Acoustics Silent Speakers did, offered great musical sound and fit right up against the wall.

Tekton Lores now, offer much improved sound over the Silent Speakers, and are a better reviewing tool too.

Maggie .7 (my wife's favorite speaker in our collection. A very different presentation than the Tektons, we swap between them every other month.
                          Steve Lefkowicz
                          Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                          -
                          Analog: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 19a, iPhono2; Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Sumiko Pearl, iFi iPhono.
                          Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi iDAC2, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2.
                          Electronics: Burson Conductor Virtuoso, DIY switch-box with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso, Jolida JD1000P, B&K ST140.
                          Speakers: Tekton Double Impact, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7, ELAC Debut2 B6.2, Debut F5 and Debut B6, Emotiva Airmotiv B1, Sound Dynamics 300ti.
                          Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Nordost Solar Wind, Audioquest Evergreen
                          Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Nordost Solar Wind, Nordost Flatline, Audioquest Q2.
                          Digital cables: Straightwire USB Link, Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
                          Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan racks, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Sound Organization speaker stands, Pangea Audio speaker stands, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
                          Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More MK801, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

I have been a Vandersteen guy since 1985. I guess I consider them neutral and laid back.

Name:	B023D6C7-AE1F-4B3C-9109-3F56057A762C.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	3.79 MB
ID:	136424
                            Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

Working...
                            X