Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s The Biggest Sounding Speaker You’ve Heard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s The Biggest Sounding Speaker You’ve Heard?

Still’s the IRS Series V for this audiophile. But the speaker needed a big room to realize its potential.

Now I’ve heard one currently made speaker that will go nameless that sounded bigger. But to me artificially big; exciting in a sensurround, way, almost home theaterish, but not realistic at all.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

The original ML Statements were memorable. The WAMM Master Chronosonic was the most recent. The one time I got to hear the IRSes the demo didn't do them justice. I went back and the room was overcrowded on subsequent visits I never got to experience the full brunt of what they can do.
    Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

I would have to say the Apogee Diva, big 'ol ribbons and sound. Also the Klipsch La Scala, but big in a different way.

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        you prob would have liked the Apogee Grands. Think Diva on top of subwoofer boxes housing dual 12s per side. It was an impressive system.

a bit like Myles. The Genesis Dragon speaker. Heard the setup at the importers sound room in Hong Kong seen below. Best speakers I have ever heard - like being at a live concert with all of the advantages and none of the drawbacks. You could sit down or stand up and the sound was exactly the same - all those tweeters from floor to s=ceiling work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	11033619_791396637622743_8869271540925673729_o.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	149969

Comment

• Anton D
        Anton D commented
        Editing a comment
        I am a fan of "line array" set ups, as well!

"Big" but in a good way, the big MBL system.
      Steve Lefkowicz
      Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
      -
      Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low Output, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
      Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
      Electronics: DIY passive line-stage with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
      Speakers: Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
      Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
      Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet
      Digital cables: Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
      Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
      Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

• Metamatic
        Metamatic commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. I heard an all MBL system in Singapore. Incredible

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        I heard the X-tremes at one of the Newport shows, it was an illuminating experience.

• Steve Lefkowicz
        Steve Lefkowicz commented
        Editing a comment
        At CES some years ago, my son and I got an almost private demo where he got to pick the tunes. There were three other people in the room, but they gave my son and me the prime seats. Played R2R tape of Live At Leeds and it was amazing, Then they played a tape of a Bob Marley concert that was taken right off the mix board.
        I have no illusions that I will ever buy a system like that, but if it ever came to a point where I could, that is what I would get.

a few come to mind.

i've heard the Genesis Dragon system here in Seattle at a Genesis break-in party. huge venue. walk around sort of realistic soundstage. not a mature dialed in system per-se, but none the less awesome big sounding. and note i do own that same chair (in black) in that Dragon picture FWIW.

heard the big MBL Xtreme's a few times at shows with a very big sound, and the VR11 Ultras at shows with a big, big sound too.

honestly; my own room with my MM7's and me sitting nearfield is as big sounding as any of those, and more refined and nuanced than those too. but my system is completely sorted out and tweaked. and i know it intimately. and my room was purpose built for the ultimate in large music performance. no illusions i'm objective. i'm clearly in lust with this aspect of my system. and in the last few years it has evolved to it's best version of itself. i prefer my amplification to any of those systems, and my active isolation under my signal path matters at warp 9.

i listen to big music quite a bit.
      https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
        a few come to mind.

i've heard the Genesis Dragon system here in Seattle at a Genesis break-in party. huge venue. walk around sort of realistic soundstage. not a mature dialed in system per-se, but none the less awesome big sounding. and note i do own that same chair (in black) in that Dragon picture FWIW.

heard the big MBL Xtreme's a few times at shows with a very big sound, and the VR11 Ultras at shows with a big, big sound too.

honestly; my own room with my MM7's and me sitting nearfield is as big sounding as any of those, and more refined and nuanced than those too. but my system is completely sorted out and tweaked. and i know it intimately. and my room was purpose built for the ultimate in large music performance. no illusions i'm objective. i'm clearly in lust with this aspect of my system. and in the last few years it has evolved to it's best version of itself. i prefer my amplification to any of those systems, and my active isolation under my signal path matters at warp 9.

i listen to big music quite a bit.

"No illusions I'm objective" is hilarious. I for one don't understand why someone would purchase 3,000 lbs of speakers and then sit in the nearfield listening to them like they are giant headphones. It defeats the purpose of having a large room and large speakers IMO.
        Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

"No illusions I'm objective" is hilarious. I for one don't understand why someone would purchase 3,000 lbs of speakers and then sit in the nearfield listening to them like they are giant headphones. It defeats the purpose of having a large room and large speakers IMO.
          you are welcome to visit, move the chair to where you like it, and compare for yourself. when i have visitors they do try different spots, and the nearfield is where it's at. been in my room 17 years now, it took 12 years to get to that listening position through trial and error. i have a sofa behind, then 3 more chairs behind the sofa. the sweet spot is preferred.

nearfield results in more information. the trick is cohesion, tonal balance and naturalness. that part took years. most systems drive you back.

not every room or system is tweaked sufficiently to allow for nearfield listening. or has the width and depth to allow the large speakers to breathe.

obviously dipoles and different driver types don't always play to nearfield listening. but when it works the immersive effect is amazing. if you ever listen to a very high end serious multi-channel system using object based dsp you will understand the attraction. getting an analog signal path with 2 channels do do that is not trivial.

my comment about objectivity is just stating the obvious. when we pore our soul into our systems we are in love to a degree. how can we not be? and if we are not loving our systems that is sad. i'm simply trying to avoid claiming any fact about my system and it's attributes, it's just my opinion.....however subjective that might be.
          https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

Comment

• Kingrex
            Kingrex commented
            Editing a comment
            I like a headphone but I dislike them. I like them for the information retrieval, accuracy. I don't like them because you don't sense it in your body. I usually sit nearfield at my home. I like to climb into the performance. Its big and immersive and surrounds you that way. Sitting back is a tad more clear and the soundstage more defined, but I loose some of the tactile pressure.

A friend's system that consists of a double stack of RCA Ubangi cabinets with drivers converted to field coils. The upper section are RCA multicell horns with dual 1428 field coil compression drivers on each side. Powered by 211 amps a Bent Audio autoformer preamp. Sources include but are not limited to Fairchild 750 TTs and Studer A80 tape decks.
          Turntable: - 1. Fairchild 750/OMA slate plinth
          2. Analog Engineering AE-2008 MinusK support.
          Tonearm: 1. Schroder Custom
          2. Schick 12"
          3. Abis SA-1
          Cartridge: Miyajima Kansui and Premium BE Mono
          PhonoPre: AprilSound LR, EMIA Strain Gauge, EMIA silver SUT
          CD: Wadia 860x
          Server: Innuos Zen Mini Mk3
          DAC: Computer Audio Design 1543 Mk2
          Preamp: Bent Audio TAP-X w silver autoformers
          Amplifier: AprilSound SET50 monoblocks
          Speaker: Pioneer PAX-30C

Comment

• Beaur
            Beaur commented
            Editing a comment
            Unfortunately not. Don't believe he participates in audio-related online activities except for email when it's time to come and listen.

• solypsa
            solypsa commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like the a dream place to have a pop-up dance party! You did say Fairchild 750's plural right

• Beaur
            Beaur commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, multiple in the system but parts for a few more. Also multiple A80s. It's always a pleasure to visit and listen.

There were some big (!) antique Western Electric speakers at the Silbatone exhibit at CES about 10 years ago that really showed their size, and in the next room, some smaller WE speakers that were gorgeous on vocals and ensemble stuff. Aspirational!

I agree about the big IRS/Genesis/MBL/Klipsch/Apogee systems....good SIZE!

It might be 25+ years ago, but the Cello system using its own branded speakers was freaking amazing.. It could be overwhelmingly dynamic.

MBL has done some ultra high end demos using only a portable CD player as the source, and I had all my preconceptions murdered by that great sound.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DBD67B97-950A-4CD0-8DCC-385B8A5A2F44.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	150081

Comment

Whose dudgeon is that?
              Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Now they're planning the system of the century
              Well, what will it be?
              Read all about their schemes and adventuring
              Yes, it's well worth a fee

Due apologies to Supertramp. The biggest sounding system I ever heard is the one I never heard. The one that is in my head. The one I dream about. The one that can never happen. Should it happen, it will no longer be the biggest sounding system, just a collection of boxes recreating sound. It must be awful to have the means to have the biggest and the best. What do you dream about then?

How we all dreamed about hearing the IRS, Apologue, those big Martin Logans. To those who heard them, did they fulfil the dream of lifelike sound on a realistically large scale? Or were they just a bigger, louder and more disjointed version of what we are already used to?

Comment

There was an awfully big speaker in the first scene of Back to the Future - pretty big sound, too! It was mono.

Larry
                Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
                Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

When I was a teenager, which was a while back, some of us occasionally got to go to the old Paramount theater movies back home and listen to the theaters Altec Lansing A4s with the theater tube amplification. Sweet spot seemed start about 15 rows back for the sound to gel. IIRC they were Alnico,16 ohm and about 108 dB efficient. Rolled in front of the curtains and screen they sounded a lot better. The reason they were on casters was it was a dual use theater, both movies and live performances. BIG sound. The projectionist played whatever he wanted with the occasional rock album thrown in. Sgt Peppers which had recently come out was freakin' awesome. HUGE sound.

Maybe as time has gone by those Altecs may not have sounded as good as I remember, but I think they did.

Comment

Working...
                  X